Speakers to go with Cambridge Audio AZUR 540A amp and 640C CD player

Stereo_Girl

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello all!

I'm new around here.

I'm running a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amp and a 640C CD player. Currently using some Mordaunt Short 901 floor standers with them. I'm looking for something a little more meaty, and was wondering if anyone has found a good match for speakers to these separates.

I listen to quite a lot of acoustic music, but also electronic, dance and rock. So the speakers need to be able to cope with most things!

I've been reading this months What Hi Fi and the Wharfedale 121's look like they may be worth a look. I had been looking out for some rather heftier B&W CdM7NTs second hand, but thinking they are probably a bit too big really. Something I can move would be good! Budget is anything upto £500.

I would appreciate any advice from you all.

Many thanks

Stereo Girl

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi

2nd attempt at posting this, so hope it works this time!

I owned a similar system to you for some years (640A/640C). I recently sold the amp to some friends who paired them with Monitor Audio BX2's. The system sounded reasonably balanced letting the strengths of the Cambridges show through. The floorstanding equivalent, the MA BX5's would just come within your budget.

The only thing I'd watch for, is I remember that although the Cambridges' timing are excellent, the CD in particular can be a little harsh at times with electric guitars (sounded super with acoustic guitars), so I'd recommend taking some White Stripes or similar to your demo just to see how the treble sounds in particular.

Part of the 'skill' of hifi-enthusiasm is matching the source components, amp and speakers so they complement each other's strengths rather than exacerbating their weaknesses, so I would most definitely put yourself through the faff of taking your CD and amp to any demo. Any good dealer should be quite happy to do this for you. It may take a little effort, but so did earning £500, so it's worth it!

I ran my Ruark Epilogue II speakers with the Cambridge set-up for many years, and the whole balance of their sound has changed now I team them up with my Pioneer AV receiver.

Other well-recommended floorstanders are the Q Acoustics 2050i, but I've not heard these personally.

So get your playlist and dealer together and enjoy. Happy hunting!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My Dad has a similar set up to albeit matching 540 CDP and amp IMO, his Tannoys sound great. You want floors standers so check out the Tannoy dc6t that can be found on Google for around the £500ish mark.

Stereo_Girl

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I will give these both a go. I have found the Tannoy speakers (SE) edition at Richer Sounds, but a bit above my price range. I've heard the SE bit really adds something though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts