Yet another poll from a Debut Carbon DC owner

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

You said ; “You may find Naim tiring on long listening sessions.”

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
You said ; “You may find Naim tiring on long listening sessions.”
Which means just that.

If OP is comparing Naim and Arcam depending on which he likes is likely to call the other one boring or tiring.

Given the choice Arcam vs Naim I'd chose Naim. However I'd look for speakers that match. My speakers didn't work with Nait 5i-2.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

So why do you say he may find naim tiring on long sessions insider? Taking it you junked the idea.

hybridauth_Twitter_43371788

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
Alright.

To sum up;

I usually listen to pink floyd kind of songs, rock but with lots of synthesizer and at the same time easy-electronic songs like l'imperatrice, bon voyage organisation etc.. I want to hear each instrument with all the details as if they're playing in front of you or as if you do timetravelling and in the studio with them . . .

My room: I've written 35-40 before but I could not explain perfectly, that it includes the corridor, so the rectangle that I will be listening to music is actually 30m2.

I have hard floors, no carpet.

I will connect it to my turntable which is pro-ject debut carbon dc. I

I do not have any speaker or an amp now. Both will be new for me.

According to all the recommendations; in the end I have;

Arcam A19

Roksan Kandy K2

Naim (I don't know which model exactly but my budget is around 500-600eu so do the math)

Please help me out choosing one of them according to my needs and my current possibilities.

And with the amp, you can also recommend me the ideal speaker acccording to your own taste. I don't usually listen to jazz or classical music. I trust this forum and everyone who spend some time in here. My budget is again around 500-600eu.

Thanks in advance.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

insider9 said:
So why do you say he may find naim tiring on long sessions insider? Taking it you junked the idea.
Because many people who prefer Arcam presentation say that about Naim.

this is just pretentious hi Fi bs insider me thinks. Nobody thinks arcam is better than naim or vice versa. It’s just what you like and sometimes what you get used too. If you want detail op you want to be thinking of rega, cyrus, musical fidelity, not naim and arcam.

insider9

insider9 said:
Because many people who prefer Arcam presentation say that about Naim.

this is just pretentious hi Fi bs insider me thinks. Nobody thinks arcam is better than naim or vice versa. It’s just what you like and sometimes what you get used too. If you want detail op you want to be thinking of rega, cyrus, musical fidelity, not naim and arcam.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It's difficult without hearing them because a lot is down to personal taste, I have heard speakers that some people have said are great but to me they were awful. Speakers tend to make more difference to the sound than amps. Some combinations work better than others, I may see that in reviews and forum posts. I would say Arcam and B&W don't work that well, many recommend Rotel and B&W because it's part of same company and they use them in testing. Arcam and Kef seem to work quite well. Roksan I don't think are that fussy, I have heard the Kandy K2 with various speakers, seemed to work ok. The Roksan also does have a decent phono stage I believe. This is from WHF Arcam A19 review "We found that the Arcam A19 needs some careful system partnering to truly shine. We swapped our neutral-sounding ATCs for the KEF LS50s speakers – and the change in pace was immediate."

The Roksan is a big heavy more powerful amp, from WHF review "unfussy with partnering equipment and music" which ties in with my views.

QAcoustics 3020 probably on the small size for your room.

Have a demo with the Naim and see what you think.

Buying used is better value for money but more risks.

rainsoothe

BigH said:
It's difficult without hearing them because a lot is down to personal taste, I have heard speakers that some people have said are great but to me they were awful. Speakers tend to make more difference to the sound than amps. Some combinations work better than others, I may see that in reviews and forum posts. I would say Arcam and B&W don't work that well, many recommend Rotel and B&W because it's part of same company and they use them in testing. Arcam and Kef seem to work quite well. Roksan I don't think are that fussy, I have heard the Kandy K2 with various speakers, seemed to work ok. The Roksan also does have a decent phono stage I believe. This is from WHF Arcam A19 review "We found that the Arcam A19 needs some careful system partnering to truly shine. We swapped our neutral-sounding ATCs for the KEF LS50s speakers – and the change in pace was immediate."

The Roksan is a big heavy more powerful amp, from WHF review "unfussy with partnering equipment and music" which ties in with my views.

QAcoustics 3020 probably on the small size for your room.

Have a demo with the Naim and see what you think.

Buying used is better value for money but more risks.

It depends on which particular Arcam models, or which particular Kef models etc etc. If you slap Kef R series on current range of Arcam amps (the similarly priced ones), I believe you would die of boredom.

@OP: For 600 euro, IF you're lucky, you'll only be able to find ex-dem or used Naim or Roksan Kandy K2. If you buy from the same dealer, you might get a nice package (amp + speakers and cabling), but remember, for Naim, you'd also need a separate phono-stage.

If you just want to get a one-stop sollution and don't think you would want to upgrade if you stick to budget picks, I would go for Roksan Kandy K2 + Wharfedale Jade 3 (if you can find a pair to fit your budget - this would be my first choice, but they're VERY deep, like 40cm, so you need to take that into account), Q Acousics 3050 or Focal Aria 906.

Another pairing I would go for, would be Marantz PM8005 + Dali Zensor 5 or Dynaudio Emit M20.

Arcam A19 + Focal Aria 906 (or even Chorus stuff).

Naim 5i2 (or "italic"as it is known) or 5si + Focal Aria 906 or Dynaudio Emit M20.

I just listed some of the stuff I like or I thiink would have good synergy (because you asked :) ), BUT you might like somethiing I don't, even if we share music taste. So do try to audition. Cheapest new Naim is 1000 pounds (NEW), which is the Nait 5si. So if you don't think it's worth waiting to invest that kind of money into your hi-fi, there's no reason to do it - you will get your enjoyment anyway. Of course you can go for second hand (which goes for the Roksan as well, don't think you can get Kandy K2 anymore new), but it's a very good all-rounder. Hi-Fi appears to be very expensive in Italy, but you might be lucky with your dealers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts