Yamaha RXV3900 problem

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
seakingadvice:Charl:"Seakingadvice", which amp do you have? The problem you encountering is the same as discussed here.

I bought the 3900 based on the good reviews by the esteemed What Hi-Fi Review Team.

Who haven't experienced the problem with either model....(aside from my unrelated Xmas Day incident).

BTW, I have appended news of the firmware updates to reviews of both Yamahas (in user review section), with link to the details.

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:Charl, Which model will you be getting? Clare, Have you junked your Onkyo 905 for the Yamaha Z7? I presume that you find the Z7 to be a far superior amp?

I'm sticking with the RXV 3900.

A

Anonymous

I went to collect my 4th new RXV3900 today. When i got to the shop a Yamaha DSP-Z7 was waiting for me, straight swop!!!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Charl, is the 1.05 firmware available on Yamaha's website yet? If not, where did you get it? Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dougie,

Yamaha website still has ver 1.04. Ver 1.05 is available from supplier/dealer only, here in South Africa anyway, not sure about other countries.

Are you experiencing similar problems?

What amp do you have?

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl. I have the 3900 and have only experienced the problem once, must be the timings of my use reading through this thread. Thanks for the advice, I'll contact my dealer and see if they can help. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dougie,

I'm sure they will sort it for you, my dealer has ver 1.05 for the 3900 and the Z7. Another customer received a DSP-Z7 same day as me and his had same problem after the first day, he still had ver 1.04. He was taking it back for ver 1.05 to be installed. Mine has gone for 3 days now without a problem.

A

Anonymous

Charl:I went to collect my 4th new RXV3900 today. When i got to the shop a Yamaha DSP-Z7 was waiting for me, straight swop!!!
emotion-2.gif

Straight swop? With no extra charge? You lucky *censored*!!! I'm so envious. :)

So, I'm guessing that you are very happy with the ultimate outcome. Do you find the Z7 to be miles ahead of the 3900?

How much did you pay for it anyway?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
seakingadvice:Charl:"Seakingadvice", which amp do you have? The problem you encountering is the same as discussed here.

I bought the 3900 based on the good reviews by the esteemed What Hi-Fi Review Team.

Who haven't experienced the problem with either model....(aside from my unrelated Xmas Day incident).

BTW, I have appended news of the firmware updates to reviews of both Yamahas (in user review section), with link to the details.

Hi Clare,

Any official reply from Yamaha on the problem and the fix?

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:Charl:I went to collect my 4th new RXV3900 today. When i got to the shop a Yamaha DSP-Z7 was waiting for me, straight swop!!!
emotion-2.gif
Straight swop? With no extra charge? You lucky *censored*!!! I'm so envious. :) So, I'm guessing that you are very happy with the ultimate outcome. Do you find the Z7 to be miles ahead of the 3900? How much did you pay for it anyway?

I'm very lucky i guess. I gave the dealer such a hard time about sending me 3 defective RXV 3900 and not having an answer and then denying that there was a problem and only when i showed them the forums response did they action a plan. It all worked out at the end.

I'm very happy with the Z7, straight out the box i could hear a difference.

I paid R31000 here in South Africa, that converted works out at 2150 pounds. Import taxes obviously makes it difficult to compare with what you guys pay. Normally it would have been 2850 pounds.

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:Clare Newsome:

seakingadvice:Charl:"Seakingadvice", which amp do you have? The problem you encountering is the same as discussed here. I bought the 3900 based on the good reviews by the esteemed What Hi-Fi Review Team.

Hi Clare, Any official reply from Yamaha on the problem and the fix?

Firmware ver 1.05 is avaliable from your dealer.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
OK, here's the update from Yamaha - seems a firmware update is indeed on its way for both the Yamaha RXV3900 and the DSP-Z7:

The official statement from YCJ concerning the RX-V3900 switching issue is as follows;

Firmware update:
We'll start to upgrade firmware for RXV3900 and DSP-Z7 to fix the following symptom and increase software stability.
The latest firmware will be available in our Web site from early February 2009.

This firmware update can be performed by either USB thumb drive or internet connection.
Our service department will also update this firmware when brought in to a local service centre through any of our dealer networks.

Symptom:
When the system is turned off for couple of hours, there are some cases that the unit shuts down soon after Master Power SW or Main Zone SW is turned ON.
This symptom does not happen to all units but after checking we have found some units have been affected.
The unit can be powered back ON by unplugging and then plugging the AC cable back in.

The upgrade firmware confirmation will be made as soon as the firmware is set up on the Yamaha Web site.

Yamaha stresses that the problem is a rare one - they say they've only had one return in the UK related to the issue, for example.

We'll update you when we get that confirmation that the firmware is live.

I assume you already read this on the previous page of this thread, Seaking?

Just waiting for firmware to be on Yamaha website (which they've said they'll notify us about), and it sounds like some dealers already have hold of it.

A

Anonymous

I cannot agree with Yamaha that "the problem is a rare one"

Just read the large numbers of posters world-wide who have had problems.

From South Africa, Australia, the UK, the US, New Zealand.....

And they are most likely the tip of the iceberg!

Mark

A

Anonymous

laser:

I cannot agree with Yamaha that "the problem is a rare one"

Just read the large numbers of posters world-wide who have had problems.

From South Africa, Australia, the UK, the US, New Zealand.....

And they are most likely the tip of the iceberg!

Mark

I'm sure the problem is with certain batches.

I had 3 RXV 3900's that were faulty and my dealer hasn't sold more since so we won't know how many more have the problem as all units will now be sent once new firmware loaded.

My Z7 is fine since new firmware loaded. The other Z7 that was sold same time as mine had problem from day one but it didn't have new firmware installed.

A

Anonymous

Charl:
seakingadvice:Charl:I went to collect my 4th new RXV3900 today. When i got to the shop a Yamaha DSP-Z7 was waiting for me, straight swop!!!
emotion-2.gif
Straight swop? With no extra charge? You lucky *censored*!!! I'm so envious. :) So, I'm guessing that you are very happy with the ultimate outcome. Do you find the Z7 to be miles ahead of the 3900? How much did you pay for it anyway?

I'm very lucky i guess. I gave the dealer such a hard time about sending me 3 defective RXV 3900 and not having an answer and then denying that there was a problem and only when i showed them the forums response did they action a plan. It all worked out at the end.

I'm very happy with the Z7, straight out the box i could hear a difference.

I paid R31000 here in South Africa, that converted works out at 2150 pounds. Import taxes obviously makes it difficult to compare with what you guys pay. Normally it would have been 2850 pounds.

Maybe you shouldn't have upgraded your firmware on your Z7 just yet but instead kicked up a fuss if the problem surfaced . . . and you might have had a chance to swop for the Z11! :)

My 3900 now consistently exhibits the problem. No major issue as a quick flick of the main switch seems to fix it temporarily but it is starting to get a bit irritating to have to switch on/off mains power every time I want to use it. :-(

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Clare Newsome:
OK, here's the update from Yamaha - seems a firmware update is indeed on its way for both the Yamaha RXV3900 and the DSP-Z7:

The official statement from YCJ concerning the RX-V3900 switching issue is as follows;

Firmware update:
We'll start to upgrade firmware for RXV3900 and DSP-Z7 to fix the following symptom and increase software stability.
The latest firmware will be available in our Web site from early February 2009.

This firmware update can be performed by either USB thumb drive or internet connection.
Our service department will also update this firmware when brought in to a local service centre through any of our dealer networks.

Symptom:
When the system is turned off for couple of hours, there are some cases that the unit shuts down soon after Master Power SW or Main Zone SW is turned ON.
This symptom does not happen to all units but after checking we have found some units have been affected.
The unit can be powered back ON by unplugging and then plugging the AC cable back in.

The upgrade firmware confirmation will be made as soon as the firmware is set up on the Yamaha Web site.

Yamaha stresses that the problem is a rare one - they say they've only had one return in the UK related to the issue, for example.

We'll update you when we get that confirmation that the firmware is live.

I assume you already read this on the previous page of this thread, Seaking?

Just waiting for firmware to be on Yamaha website (which they've said they'll notify us about), and it sounds like some dealers already have hold of it.

Thanks Clare. Hopefully the firmware fix will do the trick. Please do let us know once it has been released. Thanks!

I wonder why the problem doesn't appear on the 1900? Strange...

A

Anonymous

Seakingadvice, the Z7 has certain features that the Z11 doesn't have.

6 days without problems.
emotion-2.gif

Does your dealer not have the firmware upgrade? I wasn't happy having to flick the main switch every time. Your dealer should beable to load the firmware on a memory stick and you can sort it out yourself.

A

Anonymous

Charl:
Seakingadvice, the Z7 has certain features that the Z11 doesn't have.

6 days without problems.
emotion-2.gif

Does your dealer not have the firmware upgrade? I wasn't happy having to flick the main switch every time. Your dealer should beable to load the firmware on a memory stick and you can sort it out yourself.

What features would that be? I thought that since the Z11 sits at the top of the range, it would have the most features?

2 more days to February. I hope that Yamaha will release the update in early February and not late February...

Have you seen many reports on the 3900 on other forums as well? I'm a bit surprised that out of the few 3900 owners who have posted here, almost all of us have experienced the problem... but Yamaha claims that it is an isolated problem? We can't be that unlucky.

Have you tried leaving your system off for a couple of days and then turning it on? I notice that the problem tends to occur after the system has been off for a while.

A

Anonymous

I just checked the Yamaha website and version 1.05 firmware is now available!!! I'm gonna try to update my amp over the weekend! Hope I don't screw up the system in the process... wish me luck!

A

Anonymous

Minor differences like better auto set up optimizer incorporates the angles of your speakers, blue tooth capabilities, internet radio and vista certified.

I'm sure it's a problem with certain batches only, i did find same problem on other forums. With the release of the new firmware problem should now be sorted.

The problem with my RXV 3900 only occured after it had been off for at least 8 hours.

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:I just checked the Yamaha website and version 1.05 firmware is now available!!! I'm gonna try to update my amp over the weekend! Hope I don't screw up the system in the process... wish me luck!

Did you manage to install the firmware?

I put the Z7 thru it's paces last night with some movies and music and all i can say is WOW!!!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to upgrade the firmware yet. However, the problem now seems to have mysteriously disappeared even without the new firmware...

Glad that you're enjoying your new Z7. Now that you have the Z7, your retailer has probably hooked you into the higher class so your next upgrade would be only top of the line receivers.

What did you have before your 3900/3800 anyway?

Will keep you posted on what happens after I upgrade my firmware.

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to upgrade the firmware yet. However, the problem now seems to have mysteriously disappeared even without the new firmware... Glad that you're enjoying your new Z7. Now that you have the Z7, your retailer has probably hooked you into the higher class so your next upgrade would be only top of the line receivers. What did you have before your 3900/3800 anyway? Will keep you posted on what happens after I upgrade my firmware.

My next upgrade could be a seperates system but i reckon it's very expensive. I doubt i'd upgrade for a while now. Next on the list is a projector and screen once i've finished building my cinema room.

I originally had the Yamaha RXV 1600 and upgraded to the RXV 1800 from there i went to the RXV 3800 and RXV 3900.

I'm really impressed with the Z7, i watched The Hulk last night and the Z7 performed perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts