Yamaha RXV3900 problem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

What solution did Yamaha come up with for your case?

And how many times did you have to switch the unit on/off before it happened?

I just got a hold of my unit yesterday and have only switched it on/off a couple of times and no problems so far. Watched 2 DVDs so it has been on for maybe 4 hours tops. However, I'm now starting to get a bit paranoid and would rather detect any problems (if any) sooner rather than later since I doubt that my dealer would exchange it for a brand new unit if the problem surfaces. From your experience it looks like exchanging the unit hasn't helped at all anyway.

Also, is it easy to replicate the problem? Say, we return the unit to Yamaha, the unit would effectively had been reset as we'll have to unplug it to transport it. So, when they switch it on for the first time, it would look like it works fine, right?

A

Anonymous

Yamaha hasn't come back to me yet about the problem but i've read on other forums that they are aware of the problem and will be releasing a firmwrae update. Apparently it has something to with the protective circuitry that kicks in prematurely.

The first amp worked fine for a week before it started, it then did it every 2 to 3 days. Second amp lasted 3 days. Third amp lasted less than a day.

I normally switch off my unit by 9pm and when trying to switch on by 8.30am it wouldn't work. Other times i tried switching on before 8.30am and it would power on without a problem, i'd then switch off and try after 8.30am and it wouldn't power up. My third unit does it every time i try switching on in the morning.

Your dealer must replace it with a new unit, my dealer knows i won't accept a repaired unit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I'll try leaving it off for > 12 hours and then switch it back on again. I'll report back here if I also encounter the same problem. How long do you use your amp for on a daily basis?

If it a firmware issue then wouldn't all units be affected?

As I'm a new customer to this particular dealer, I'm doubtful that they will agree to a replacement unit, especially if I'm not able to replicate the problem right in front of their eyes. Hopefully, it is indeed a problem with the firmware and all will be fixed once it is released.

Have you received your 4th unit yet? Or have you given up on Yamaha?

A

Anonymous

My amp normally runs for 14 hours a day, i listen to the radio during the day and TV or dvd's at night.

The problem might affect a certain batch only so hopefully the firmware will sort it out.

Your dealer must replace if your unit is faulty, you received a product that was faulty even if it happens later.

I'm not going to accept a 4th unit until problem is sorted. I'm considering getting the Z7 but also looking at going for seperate processor/power amp set up.

A

Anonymous

Charl,

In New Zealand, (and I would expect in most other jurisdictions) under the usual terms of a warranty, a supplier is not obliged to replace a faulty product - only to restore it to its as new working condition - by repairing it in the first instance.

If the item is unable to be repaired within a reasonable time frame then it must be replaced.

Quote from Yamaha's Warranty: (my underlined emphasis)

"Yamaha will, at its option, repair or replace the product covered by this warranty which becomes defective, malfunctions or otherwise fails to conform within this warranty under normal use and service during the term of this warranty, without charge for labour or materials."

Mark

A

Anonymous

I am from the netherlands and having the switch off problem. I.vr written an email to yamaha.

This was their reply.

Dear Mr.van Dam,
We are sorry for the problem at your RX-V3900.
With very high probability exist a failure in the software regarding the
turn-off-problem.
Unfortunately the failure can not solve at the moment.
if it's possible please send us the serialnumber of your device.
We shall inform you as soon as a solution exist to solve the problem.

Best regards,

Kundenservice / Customer Support
Yamaha Music Central Europe
Siemensstrasse 22-34
25462 Rellingen
Germany

Fax: +49 (0)4101 309 317
Email: service@yamaha-online.de
Gesch„ftsfhrer / Managing Directors: Masaya Furuta, Masato Oike
Handelsregistereintrag / Court of Registration: Amtsgericht Pinneberg, B25

A

Anonymous

Hi Mark,

I must have a better relationship with my dealer, i've never had a problem having faulty units replaced. I was just thinking with so many RXV 3900's leaving the factory faulty that the dealers should make a plan for the customers.

I guess i'm just fussy.

Have you had any more feedback from your dealer?

A

Anonymous

Hi Charl,

No doubt it all comes down to the relationship with your dealer, how much they value your custom and their customer service ethos. Ideally the unit should be replaced and I would certainly push for that to happen. But at the end of the day, contractually, the ball is in their court. Fortunately I have owned many Yamaha components over the years and this is the first time I have experienced any problem.

In the current situation it is a moot point anyway as it appears most, if not all, 3900s are faulty so having the unit replaced is a waste of time.

I've just spoken with the local Yamaha agent and have been informed that Yamaha Japan are Beta testing a firmware fix at present. Unsure as to when it will be released.

Mark

A

Anonymous

Hi Mark,

I have also owned many Yamaha components, so i guess that does help. I have sent the third amp back to my dealer. Once the firmware issue is sorted they will send me a new amp and i will install the firmware myself.

I asked my dealer to exchange my 3900 with a Z7 and come up with a very good deal, they were considering it but then Yamaha informed them that the Z7 has the same problem.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've been running the Z7 for weeks now and only had (what I thought was) this problem once turned out to be a dodgy mains lead (on Christmas Day, of all times!), which once replaced was fine. (And to clarify, it wasn't the Yamaha mains lead that was dodgy, but an upgrade cable).

I'll chase up Yamaha for an answer.

A

Anonymous

I know of only one other Z7 with this problem. I received an e-mail from my dealer that Yamaha is aware of the Z7 giving problems as well, maybe not as many as the 3900.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

How long have you had the Z7 and do you use it every day? I know you said the problem occurred on Christmas day, did you use amp prior to this?

A

Anonymous

Received message from dealer that firmware is available but i checked a few minutes ago and it is still ver 1.04.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Charl:Clare ?

Sorry, but I can't be on the Forums 24/7 (it just feels like it sometimes!)

I use the Z7 every day - all my AV goes through it (TV, Blu-ray, DVD) - and i've been using for a couple of months now. Apart from that one Christmas Day incident, which we tracked back to a faulty (non-Yamaha) mains lead, it's been a delight.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Clare, is just wanted to bump up the post. At the same time my dealer was offering me the Z7 instead of the RXV 3900 but i didn't want to accept the offer if the Z7 had the same issues. It seems the problem affected more RXV 3900's than Z7's.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's the update from Yamaha - seems a firmware update is indeed on its way for both the Yamaha RXV3900 and the DSP-Z7:

The official statement from YCJ concerning the RX-V3900 switching issue is as follows;

Firmware update:
We'll start to upgrade firmware for RXV3900 and DSP-Z7 to fix the following symptom and increase software stability.
The latest firmware will be available in our Web site from early February 2009.

This firmware update can be performed by either USB thumb drive or internet connection.
Our service department will also update this firmware when brought in to a local service centre through any of our dealer networks.

Symptom:
When the system is turned off for couple of hours, there are some cases that the unit shuts down soon after Master Power SW or Main Zone SW is turned ON.
This symptom does not happen to all units but after checking we have found some units have been affected.
The unit can be powered back ON by unplugging and then plugging the AC cable back in.

The upgrade firmware confirmation will be made as soon as the firmware is set up on the Yamaha Web site.

Yamaha stresses that the problem is a rare one - they say they've only had one return in the UK related to the issue, for example.

We'll update you when we get that confirmation that the firmware is live.

A

Anonymous

I think I also experienced the problem 2 days ago. When I switched on the unit, the power on word came on for just 1 second and then it went off again. This happened repeatedly when I tried pressing the on button.

I proceeded to switch off the mains plug (without disconnecting) and thereafter it seemed to be working fine...

Is this the same problem that you guys encountered? I've barely used my unit for more than 10 hours so far.

Please do keep us updated once the new firmware is available. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

It seems that the firmware upgrade is available to the dealers/suppliers already as my new amp will be despatched with the upgrade already installed. I'm receiving the amp on wednesday and will confirm which version is loaded.

I guess i was just unlucky with the 3 amps i received.

A

Anonymous

Oh, and I didn't bother to report it yet because I've been up to my eyeballs at work and the switching on/off of the mains fixed it somewhat. maybe that's why they haven't received too many complaints yet?

A

Anonymous

"Seakingadvice", which amp do you have? The problem you encountering is the same as discussed here.

A

Anonymous

Charl,

Which model will you be getting?

Clare,

Have you junked your Onkyo 905 for the Yamaha Z7? I presume that you find the Z7 to be a far superior amp?

A

Anonymous

Charl:"Seakingadvice", which amp do you have? The problem you encountering is the same as discussed here.

I bought the 3900 based on the good reviews by the esteemed What Hi-Fi Review Team.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I certainly have not 'junked' the Onkyo 905 - it remains an excellent receiver. However, I have been testing the Z7 and it doesn't appear to have made its way back to the stockroom yet! It's a big step up in performance, but then you'd expect it to be - even when brand new the Onkyo 905 was £1400 list price; the Yamaha DSP-Z7's list price is £2000!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts