Yamaha RXV1067 With B&O speaker system

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

My current system comprises of the following:

Panasonic TXP50G30B, Panasonic BDT310, Sky+HD, PS3, Wii, Yamaha RXV1067, B&O Beolab 8000 (fronts), Beolab 6000 (Rears), Beolab 2 (Sub).

I know that B&O get slated alot on the net but frankly i dont care because to my ears they are absolutely awesome considering my speaker setup is 17 years old and still sound awesome, not so long ago May 2011 I was still still using a 17 year old Beovision Avant 28" CRT Screen (Stunning TV) with my speaker setup untill i reluctantly upgraded my TV and AMP to the Panasonic TXP50G30b and Yamaha RXV1068 (connected speakers via Preouts as B&O Speakers are Active loudspeakers), what i want to know is the following:

my front speakers frequency range is 52-20,000 HZ , my rears are 45-27,600 HZ, I would like to know what should the bass crossover be on my amp? in the auto setup with the YPAO Mic it stated 100HZ however i believe this is wrong, also on my amp my volume settings go from -80 to +16.5 giving it a maximum volume level of 96, when i am watching movies I listen to them at roughly -32.0 volume level however for me to really enjoy the sound I love to crank it up to -25-20, is it just me or is this to loud? as i am using about 75% of my amp power, what is generally a good sound level to listen at? is it true that yamaha amps in general require more volume in order for it to perform at its best?Final question with regards to DRC (Dynamic range control) on the amp i find that on some movies they sound good on and some movies good off, what types of movies should this be set to on and off?

your feedback is much appreciated

Paul.

DRC is best used when watching action movies at low volumes as you dont need to keep hitting the volume button when the explosions happen then turn it back up again for the dialogue.  If you live in a detached house and have no one asleap upstairs, I wouldn't bother with it.

-0 is the sudgested reference level set by the sound engineer (to give cinema like experience).  When set up correctly it is usually around 75 db (I think?).  -30-20 sounds about right to me, I only go up above -20 when I am showing off.  In terms of volume, who can say?   If it hurts or you are disturbing others then it is too loud.  Only you can answer this.

Are your speakers set to small or large? This will affect your sub crossover.

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I thought with me having B&O Speakers no one would be interested in my thread, lolz, my speakers have been set to small and I have put my bass frequency to 80hz and it sounds awesome, all i need now is a centre speaker to go with my setup, looking at the beolab 4000 that will complete my setup for now.

Final question why is it that B&O get slated so much? I mean i have had my setup for 17years and it is awesome whether you believe it or not and to my ears it blows away alot of other newer surround sound setups. whats your opinion?

Paul.

I've always quite liked B&O's stuff. It's lumped in the 'Lifestyle' category with Bose unfortunately so many don't take it seriously. I think many believe that hifi is a pursuit of no compromise, that B&O and Bose like to make their products liveable is a compromise too much :)

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
How do B&O speakers stack up against B&W, KEF's, Mission, to name a few, taking price out of the equation? my uncle an audio visual fanatic said to me its like comparing Ferrari (B&O) to say Ford (B&W, KEF's, Mission), uncle has a full B&W setup with a Yamaha RXV3068 with Rotel power amp driving his B&W's, have to say his setup sounds awesome aswel

Haleem123

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
How do B&O speakers stack up against B&W, KEF's, Mission, to name a few, taking price out of the equation? my uncle an audio visual fanatic said to me its like comparing Ferrari (B&O) to say Ford (B&W, KEF's, Mission), uncle has a full B&W setup with a Yamaha RXV3068 with Rotel power amp driving his B&W's, have to say his setup sounds awesome aswel

Paul.

I'm probably not the best person to ask that one, my appreciation for B&O is more for their design, my time listening to them is relatively limited.

I think the car analogy is a poor one though, as the traditional hifi would be the no compromise sports car, the B&O would be something semi practical but still fantastic looking, I'd say a Maserati Quatroporte would cover it :)

TRENDING THREADS