Yamaha RX-V1065 or Denon AVR-2310

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You'll find out our verdict in next week's Awards issue (even sooner if you join us at the Manchester Show/subscribe to the mag and get your copy at the weekend)...but as mentioned elsewhere, it wasn't a unanimous verdict; these are definitely two to audition if you're looking at this price/class level.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally speaking, the Yamaha. With 2 channel systems, you'll find some are all about figures and being perfect, others are about the music. To me, and a few others here, the Yamaha is the latter.

Only a personal audition will tell you which one is right for you.

A

Anonymous

Is there any chance to read the verdict on line somewhere?

stokes2608:Both have received good reviews but which one would you go for?

Hi stokes2608

I would have Yamaha's RX-V1065.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I went for the Denon, has a more rounded sound to my ears...

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Having auditioned and been all set to go for the Denon plus B&W 685 Theatre package ( very impressive) , the appearance of the on-line Yamaha review and the massive price difference has chucked the balls in the air yet again.

I'm now thinking that the Yamaha + pricier Monitor Audio RX series (probably RX2 for fronts, which I haven't been able to audition yet) may be a better option, on the basis that the rate of speaker technology advancement and model replacement seems much slower - so I could keep the higher quality RXs for many years and take advanatge of the rapid changes to amp tech through upgrades in that area. All subject to hearing the Yam and RXs in action of course. Maybe Manchester can oblige.

Any views on this approach?

As an aside, any thoughts on pairing the Denon with the RXs?

Jonnyhifi:

Having auditioned and been all set to go for the Denon plus B&W 685 Theatre package ( very impressive) , the appearance of the on-line Yamaha review and the massive price difference has chucked the balls in the air yet again.

I'm now thinking that the Yamaha + pricier Monitor Audio RX series (probably RX2 for fronts, which I haven't been able to audition yet) may be a better option, on the basis that the rate of speaker technology advancement and model replacement seems much slower - so I could keep the higher quality RXs for many years and take advanatge of the rapid changes to amp tech through upgrades in that area. All subject to hearing the Yam and RXs in action of course. Maybe Manchester can oblige.

HI Jonnyhifi

Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = great combination (time after time)
emotion-2.gif
I have tried the 2310 with the Silver RX's and i thought it sounded a little hard.

Btw, unless i have missed something who is Manchester?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:Jonnyhifi:

HI Jonnyhifi

emotion-2.gif
I have tried the 2310 with the Silver RX's and i thought it sounded a little hard.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

I think you have missed a lot, Rick!!!
emotion-5.gif

AV and HIFI show at Manchester this weekend!!!!!!

Pistol Pete1:MUSICRAFT:Jonnyhifi:

HI Jonnyhifi

emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

I think you have missed a lot, Rick!!!
emotion-5.gif

AV and HIFI show at Manchester this weekend!!!!!!

Hi PP11

Thanks for clarifying it for me.
emotion-1.gif
I would not know as i don't do shows anymore.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
passingbat:Agreed. I wonder why Monitor Audio are teaming up with Onkyo to do the demos at Manchester? Maybe because the newer RX is much smoother than the old RS's, they need quite lively ampification to pep them up a bit to sound a little more immediately impressive. At a show, your product has to impress from the off, otherwise people will just walk straight back out of the room. Although, many manufacturers seem to manage that with their choice of music
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:passingbat:Agreed. I wonder why Monitor Audio are teaming up with Onkyo to do the demos at Manchester? Maybe because the newer RX is much smoother than the old RS's, they need quite lively ampification to pep them up a bit to sound a little more immediately impressive.
emotion-2.gif

Do you have personal preference to go with the RX6's David?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think everyone knows my personal preference is for the Yamaha
emotion-1.gif

Even if they did sound more lively on the Denon or Onkyo, I still prefer the Yamaha's processing, so it would be the Yamaha. Personally, I'd be looking at the RXV2065, or the RXV3900 for the RX series, but seeing as they're so close in price at the moment, I'd go with the 3900.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
ok..procesing...many features...but how many do you use...? you will always prefer one...so...in the end...you'll always choose the more lively one...so...if others make speakers sound more lively....then....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Processing will depend on the user - I tend to use 'standard' or 'adventure' settings for movies, and find some music DSP settings can liven up a dull live CD. Features tend to be roughly on par at any given price point. Another area Yamaha was ahead on was their front effect speakers, which they've been doing for over 10 years - now creeping onto Denon and Onkyo as ProLogicIIz. Still works a little differently though, and has given birth to 3D DSP on the Yamahas.

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Personally, I'd be looking at the RXV2065, or the RXV3900 for the RX series, but seeing as they're so close in price at the moment, I'd go with the 3900.

I'm still thinking that with limited funds I should invest in the RX series if I like it on audition and go for the 1065 (at half the cost of the 2065 and 3900), leaving upgrade options as the processing tech seems to quickly filter down to newer cheaper models . Also leaves potential for a £500 ish or dedicated stereo amp in the near future. What do you reckon David and/ or Rick?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd wait until you read our full review of the Silver RX package in next week's Awards issue (with subscribers from tomorrow; on sale at Manchester Show over the weekend), and the suggested partners we've trialled it with
emotion-2.gif
Dealers can only recommend the products they stock...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:IDealers can only recommend the products they stock...

Given that Frank Harvey stock all the brands most people are going to be buying, admited that it's a personal choice and (somewhere on these forums) said Yamaha aren't the ones to sell if you're looking for high profit margins. they're probably not a bad source of advise
emotion-1.gif

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Clare, makes perfect sense. I hope to get to the show and will pick up the mag/ try the RXs there.

Just keen not miss out on low prices and good availbality as I remember last year (been looking at upgrades for some time!) that the Yamaha AX 863SE was very scace after last year's Awards.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
passingbat:
[ they're probably not a bad source of advice
emotion-1.gif

Indeed they are not. But there are other options - and, as you point out, personal preference is king!

A

Anonymous

i don't get it, howcome everyone here is disregarding the
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

when cnet gave it a rave review and put it on top of the denon 1910...

i wonder if that will be included in the awards issue because the pioneer isn't covered online at all...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts