Yamaha AS 2000 + CD 2000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anybody out there own and enjoy this Yamaha combination ? Some reviews say the CD is not as good as the SACD playback - but that's to be expected, so is this a technical weakness in the Yammie .My collection is CD dominated.

Other questions are a) the balanced xlr benefits - is this really expensive smoke and mirrors ?

b) the type of speakers which suit this amp/cd kit with an rrp of circa 2000

c) Is the step down model AS 1000 just as good

Cheers

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
You would be better off going to a dealer and having a listen. I have reviews on both and by all accounts the 1000 sounds different to the 2000, far too much to blab on about here btw. If my memory serves me well the 1000 does not have xlr option. XLRs smoke and mirrors ?, only you can answer that by listening to a piece of music using both xlr and rcas and deciding on what you prefer. But then if you prefer the 1000s sound, well you are snookered if you prefer the xlrs via the 2000. In a nutshell, from what ive read, the 1000 is not just a 2000 minus xlrs so you are up against it a bit.

There may be one or two on here who actualy use Yamaha kit but of course they will not have both, well at least i doubt it.

A

Anonymous

I had a demo of this combination a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent - just slightly on the warm side of neutral and perfect for the sort of music that I listen to (Classical). I played only CDs and and the system was not connected using the balanced output, but I still preferred it to models from Cyrus, Rega and Arcam.

I haven't heard the 1000 versions, but my dealer was of the opinion that they have about 85% of the performance of the 2000. To be honest, I was intending to go for the lower priced models if I hadn't been offered such a good deal on these (they were ex demo models).

I heard them with ATC SCM 11 speakers and they sounded amazing - if you have a budget of about £2000 I can imagine that a higher priced ATC model would work even better with them.

Build quality is fantastic on both units and I love the retro styling, but be warned that they are massive and very heavy.

I bought the CD player and speakers after the demo and put a deposit down on the Amp - should be picking it up next month and can't wait!

You really need to do a comparison for yourself and see if you feel the difference is worth it for the additional cost

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts