Xbox One Power Issues - Thoughts

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
this is not s rant but anyone concerned about the latest news re call of duty ghost only running at 720p on the one whilst running at full 1080p on ps4 - got Xbox One on order for release day with fifa but now a little worried that the machine is underpowerd in comparison

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I suspect it's down to pressures of deadlines. The PS4 is theoretically more powerful, but I don't think there's that much in it. The main issue with launch titles is the pressure of meeting the launch date, and thus possibly they've just taken the easy route rather than concentrating on getting all they can from the hardware.

It's a known entity that most new console launch titles are generally superceded pretty quickly once developers have had some proper time to get to know the hardware. So, although many PS4 fanboys will make a big deal about this (just as Xbox One fanboys would surely do the same were the position reversed), I really don't think it's an indictment of the console.

If you want to be really safe and aren't bothered at having a Day One console, then hold back. But my personal prediction is, for at least the next few years, there will be little to differentiate the PS4 and the Xbox One except for a few exclusive deals. I suspect they will sell quite closely in terms of numbers for the first 1 - 2 years.

(BTW - I've pre-ordered a PS4)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If this is accurate it makes the xbox a difficult choice:

http://m.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-vs-xbox-one-graphics-what-are-the-differences-and-do-they-matter--1195580?src="rss&attr=all"

My starting point had been that I was going for the xbox (principally because I've always preferred the xbox controller and love halo games), but not sure I'm prepared to swallow a graphically inferior machine.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks like they should have called it the Xbox 720 after all :p

I think its very likely that Xbox games will continue to struggle to run at 1080p 60fps. The raw specs of the GPU are just too low. Doesnt matter what fancy caching techniques or ESRAM you use, the throughput will still only be as high as the thinnest bit of the pipe. Microsoft were adding up their parts of the system to give a total bandwidth in their PR - but the system is restricted by the bandwidth of the slowest part.

The PS4 is only slightly above the required borderline by the sounds of it BF4 is going to be 1600x900 - but thats still a lot better than the 1280x720 on the XB720.

Sony should have used a GPU one grade higher, and MS should have picked one 2-3 grades higher.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
There isn't much in it concerning power between PS4 and Xbox One

So far The PS4 will be bottle necked with its OS using alot of its memory and the Xbox One has ESRAM wich takes the Xbox just short of the PS4 with Teraflops but then lacks DDR speeds of the PS4

So far reports have comfirmed the Xbox has had a CPU and maybe GPU speed increase since spec release ( not sure how much is true ) which would almost bring the Xbox inline with PS4 with overall stats power.

I have been told by a friend who is following this that there are reports that the PS4 is higher res but the xbox is still showing better detail and most of us will not see the difference between 1600X900 and 1280X720 because your TV will downscale the PS4 to 1280X900 unless your TV supports the higher res

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
landzw said:

I have been told by a friend who is following this that there are reports that the PS4 is higher res but the xbox is still showing better detail and most of us will not see the difference between 1600X900 and 1280X720 because your TV will downscale the PS4 to 1280X900 unless your TV supports the higher res

Thats not how the upscaling works. The consoles will upscale the content to 1080p by interpolating pixels. To the TV it will just be a 1080p signal. However this will result in jaggies and the pixel shimmer and bluriness that you see with the current gen consoles, with the XB1 being worse affected than the PS4.

And even with the XB1's GPU boost the PS4 GPU is still 44% faster and thats a lot whichever way you look at it.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
True the GPU is faster though it will need to be supporting 1080p games, with X1 only currently showing 720p games being upscaled has it been comfirmed or just rumours for now that this is going to be the same on all future release X1 games?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft have now confirmed that the xbox won't play 3D blu-rays.

Sounds more & more like both consoles are being rushed to market.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I looked at the Wii U today and had a look at reviews and specs etc, for most users everyone is happy and it plays in 1080P at 60fps so i'm not sure why the X1 and PS4 is having any issues, it should be a walk in the park for both consoles

I came across some stuff saying about playing the PS4 online you would need a Playstation + account which means paying for it, is that true or just a rumour from launch?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes you need a playstation plus account for PS4 online multiplayer - which is still quite good value as u get a free game every month - like Uncharted 3, Motorstorm, Metal Gear Rising etc.

Even if you have a PS4, Ps Vita, and PS3 - you only need one account

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok i wasn't sure because some Forums people are saying they would not an Xbox due to the online costs but its going to be the same for PS4

As for being given a free game xbox have also been doing that though most of the games are not so upmarket and are either from the gold collection e.g the first Assassin Creed or you get arcade games

Not sure how things will work on X1 but i guess time will tell

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Now Assassins Creed 4 and Destiny are also rumoured to not be native 1080p on Xbox One.

The list of non 1080p games is now:-

BF4, COD, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Destiny, Ryse

Is it just problems with the first generation of titles or have MS really cocked things up ??

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
AnotherJoe said:
Is it just problems with the first generation of titles or have MS really cocked things up ??

my guess is a bit of both.

I think they've made the mistake of trying to create an "all in one" home entertainment hub - hence their decision to go with the inferior memory option (relative to the PS4), so the OS can manage the TV line input/run the kinnect sensor in the background while still running the game - and have taken their eye off the ball in terms of outright gaming performance.

thats allowed Sony to position their unit as the 'purists' choice (with some justification given recent news about the number of launch titles that will only run at 720p on the xbox).

Gel posted a few links suggesting retailers are already starting to discount the Xbox One, which could be a sign they're getting nervous (though if MS can shift more units to retailers in the run up to Christmas they may get an initial lead on sales, as PS4's could be in short supply and parents won't want "little jonny" having nothing to open on Christmas morning!).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I do wonder why people fret about the difference between 720 and 1080 with gaming when there are people out there who can't tell the difference between DVD and Bluray.

Will the difference between 720 and 1080 decrease the ability to enjoy a high quality game? In my opinion, no. I still play retro games, and while they look worse now than they did back in the day, they're still the same game, and it still plays in the same way. Did the jump from 720 to 1080 affect my enjoyment of two different versions of Forza? It did actually. I preferred the 720 one because I preferred the menus and knew my way around it, and while the 1080 one did look sharper, it wasn't enough to keep me playing a game I no longer wanted to play.

Just an observation :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I do wonder why people fret about the difference between 720 and 1080 with gaming when there are people out there who can't tell the difference between DVD and Bluray.

Will the difference between 720 and 1080 decrease the ability to enjoy a high quality game? In my opinion, no. I still play retro games, and while they look worse now than they did back in the day, they're still the same game, and it still plays in the same way. Did the jump from 720 to 1080 affect my enjoyment of two different versions of Forza? It did actually. I preferred the 720 one because I preferred the menus and knew my way around it, and while the 1080 one did look sharper, it wasn't enough to keep me playing a game I no longer wanted to play.

Just an observation :)

Well there might be some people who can't tell the difference between a BluRay and a DVD, but I can't say I'm one of them, and when I'm playing a game sat 7 feet away from a 60" screen I would much rather see that game in native 1080 than upscaled 720.

Otherwise why do we bother with blurays, why not just all watch upscaled dvd's?

Come to think of it, lets all bin our CD/SACD/DVD-Audio players/network streamers and content ourselves with listening to MP3's? ;)

Resolution/Sample Rate matters, all the more so if being played through reasonably decent hardware.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I agree. I can tell the difference between SD and HD on a 23" TV from just over 9 feet away - I was making a point :)

And a fair one actually if people are going to be plugging these consoles into screens of 40" or less, your probably right in suggesting that a lot of the fanboys slinging mud at Microsoft on the gamer forums will be playing the games on screen sizes where it won't actually be an issue. Does feel like Microsoft have scored an own goal here though - suspect a few of their senior project managers are feeling the pressure right now!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
landzw said:
Ok i wasn't sure because some Forums people are saying they would not an Xbox due to the online costs but its going to be the same for PS4

Main difference between the two is MS charge you to do pretty much anything online e.g. even to access streaming services like Netflix, you require an Xbox Gold account, as well as whatever subscription fee Netflix charge. Sony require a PSN membership for online multiplayer gaming, but you'll be able to use the other online parts of the console (e.g. Netflix subscription) without having this.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Even on my 30'' monitor with my PC if I play WOT in 720p its blocky with image blur - play it in 1080p and its clear sharp and gorgeous.

On a 40'' or 60'' TV the difference is even more pronounced.

Its not just that though - the expectation for a so-called "next generation" console - at least to me - is that it should be able to cope with 1080p. Dropping games down to 720p, the same resolution as the majority of games on so called "last-gen" consoles, is not good progress 7 years further down the line.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
True the age thing and what you would expect from a console in 7 to 10 years time is not either of the latest consoles, i can see both being cut short of there 10 year life span

My biggest problem right now is trying to hold back from buying one just because its the latest thing

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
mr malarky said:
And a fair one actually if people are going to be plugging these consoles into screens of 40" or less, your probably right in suggesting that a lot of the fanboys slinging mud at Microsoft on the gamer forums will be playing the games on screen sizes where it won't actually be an issue. Does feel like Microsoft have scored an own goal here though - suspect a few of their senior project managers are feeling the pressure right now!

I'd wait and see what they look like when they're released. A couple of weeks ago I saw a comparison between a still shot of a game on the PS4 and XB1 and the XB1 was blatantly better - it made the PS4 shot look like standard def. But then, unless you see these actual comparisons being made, their truth can't be confirmed.

Just for the record, it haven't read anything about the new consoles, so I don't know what info is out there. I haven't looked as I've hardly played my 360 over the past couple of years, even this there are a couple of games I'd like to revisit.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
mr malarky said:

I'd wait and see what they look like when they're released. A couple of weeks ago I saw a comparison between a still shot of a game on the PS4 and XB1 and the XB1 was blatantly better - it made the PS4 shot look like standard def. But then, unless you see these actual comparisons being made, their truth can't be confirmed.

Just for the record, it haven't read anything about the new consoles, so I don't know what info is out there. I haven't looked as I've hardly played my 360 over the past couple of years, even this there are a couple of games I'd like to revisit.

COD Ghosts has been reviewed on both platforms now and a good summary of the differing views on how they compare is below (as usual, opinions are mixed):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/437842/cod-ghosts-reviews-split-over-xbox-one-vs-ps4-comparisons/

IGN have also posted a 'side-by-side' video of battlefield 4 on both platforms, but to be honest watching this on my iPhone doesn't really tell me much so would be interested in the thoughts of anyone who can view this on a decent screen?

http://m.ign.com/videos/2013/10/29/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't put too much faith in those side by side comparisons (and certainly wouldn't pay any attention to still shot comparisons). Virtually every review I've seen that has compared has said that, although the XB1 version can look better in some circumstances, this is mostly due to subtle tricks to allow them to get away with showing less detail, and thus keep the framerate going at the same speed.

Of course, does this matter in terms of the gameplay? Not really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts