Would I really be better off with standmounts?

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm putting together a long(ish) term plan for for a 2 channel set-up incorporating my current TV, blu-ray player and Nintendo Wii. Usage will be predominately TV and films and 'background' music, so I don't need or want the last word or nth degree of 'hifi' reproduction. Rather something musical and good with speech for TV and movies. I'm thinking of an all in one solution like the new Marantz M-CR603 (I heard, and loved, the 503 with Kef Q300s). However I have laways preferred the aesthetics of floorstanders over standmounts on stands, but here's the rub...

The left hand speaker has to go in a space approximately 15 inches wide, the LHS being constrained by a side wall and the RHS by the TV. The other speaker will have the TV immediately on one side but has about 6 feet between it and the other side wall. The speakers cannot come far into the room.

From reading on here I'm led to believe there is a good chance of the 'bass getting itself in a twist' due to the positioning constraints. Any thoughts here, as the title says, 'Would I really be better off with standmounts'?

Thanks,

Dave

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something in this 'awkward' set up, you should be fine. The main thing to do is get the front panel of the speaker clear of anything by the side of it. The Q300's are quite a wide dispersion - wider than most speakers - which means you'll get HF reflection if it is 'set back' in relation to the items next to them. If they're not allowed to disperse as they are meant to, you'll end up with an odd soundstage.

The Q300's are front ported, so won't suffer as badly as rear ported speakers in this situation.

dave_k:

Hi All,

I'm putting together a long(ish) term plan for for a 2 channel set-up incorporating my current TV, blu-ray player and Nintendo Wii. Usage will be predominately TV and films and 'background' music, so I don't need or want the last word or nth degree of 'hifi' reproduction. Rather something musical and good with speech for TV and movies. I'm thinking of an all in one solution like the new Marantz M-CR603 (I heard, and loved, the 503 with Kef Q300s). However I have laways preferred the aesthetics of floorstanders over standmounts on stands, but here's the rub...

The left hand speaker has to go in a space approximately 15 inches wide, the LHS being constrained by a side wall and the RHS by the TV. The other speaker will have the TV immediately on one side but has about 6 feet between it and the other side wall. The speakers cannot come far into the room.

From reading on here I'm led to believe there is a good chance of the 'bass getting itself in a twist' due to the positioning constraints. Any thoughts here, as the title says, 'Would I really be better off with standmounts'?

Thanks,

Dave

May sound like a daft question: Can't you borrow some speakers from a dealer and test them out for yourself?

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
johnnyjazz:I listened to the new little bookshelf Spendors last week, can,t remember what they were called but they sounded fantastic, see if you can demo them.

What price were they? I suspect spendors will be out of my budget
emotion-6.gif

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:dave_k:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Dave

May sound like a daft question: Can't you borrow some speakers from a dealer and test them out for yourself?

Hi PP, it's possible. My nearest dealer is a Sevenoaks, but I've only ever been in the shop twice and spoken to different people each time, so there isn't exactly a solid relationship to help secure home demo stuff...

Also, i haven't got the funds available at the minute (honeymoon planning requiring a constant 'drip' feed of money) so I'd feel uncomfortable asking when I wouldn't be buying anything for at least 6 months.

A

Anonymous

dave_k:
johnnyjazz:I listened to the new little bookshelf Spendors last week, can,t remember what they were called but they sounded fantastic, see if you can demo them.

What price were they? I suspect spendors will be out of my budget
emotion-6.gif

Dave i think they were under £500, as i said they sounded really special on the end of a cheap Rega TT and yamaha amp, you could buy the whole set up for under £1000. To my ears if you had blindfolded me i would have thought it was a £4000 system i was listening to
emotion-21.gif

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
New Spendors for under £500?!! What are they? I wouldn't mind a pair.
emotion-19.gif

I have not heard any Spendor minis on the end of a Marantz receiver, but doubt the combination will be flattering to either side. A Spendor needs to be partnered with a smooth and detailed amp lest its presentation veers into the region of boring.
emotion-7.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts