Worth switching from Sky to Virgin?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Just got an offer in from Virgin (seem to get one evry 2 weeks which I normally don't even read) which appears to offer good value - I currently have Sky HD + an HD box multiroon install too with the full package of channels, Phone and BB are supplied by TalkTalk.

The Virgin offer is a free V+HD box, free extra box in another room, free installation, free activation of both boxes, free serviving and repairs + 28 money back guarantee!

Total savings ( according to to flyer) for the first year would be £217.90

I'm aware that I'll lose out on some of the movie channels and sports channels by going to Virgin - would I also lose out on things like Sky Box Office? (I'm thinking of the upcoming Haye v Klitschko fight)

I've been unimpressed with Talktalk for the last year or so and would be looking to ditch them anyway.

Thanks in anticipation...

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Just looking for some advice about Virin and the quality of the V+HD box in comparison with my current Amstrad Sky HD box. I've read enough on this forum to expect little in the way of excellent customer service from Virgin (Sky about the same I guess) - I haven't used Virgin before - if I was to use the 28 day money back guarantee - how easy would it be to invoke it??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
From what I have read on here it seems to me that Virgin operate in a different way to folk in England than they do here in Scotland ... why the difference I have no idea.

All the times I have had to deal with Virgin the company I would say have been first class.They offer brilliant deals, better than Sky from all that I have read.... but here's the thing ... a picture broadcast from Virgin through cable is superior to that offered by Sky through the air ,,, WHY pay more ?

Check-up on Virgin Cinema offers as they are like Sky Box Office, except you'll get a better picture through a cable :)

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I would say if TV is your thing then Sky are better than Virgin. Sky have more HD channels and some exclusive ones (Sky Atlantic for one). However, if you're looking at the bigger picture (excuse the pun) then I reckon Virgin wins hands down. Their phone service is good and their broadband is second to none IMHO. I have XL TV, all in phone and 10mb BB. They are very almost never down and the BB is always bang on 10mb when I test it (unless the littls J's are home from Uni of off work then I get throttled big style!).

For technical support they are superb. My broadband has gone down twice in 5 years, first time they sent an engineer out to the box down the road the same day and fixed it, second time (month or so ago) it went a bit flakey and they sent a guy round with a new router next day as I still had the old telewest original. Excellent on both occasions.

Other CS can be pretty dire. I know it's an old story but the Indian brach of the operation is so bad at times it is just funny. I cannot get annoyed at them, they try so hard but are often completely clueless which I can only put down to poor training.

I'm sure you can get box office via Virgin for fights and stuff as Sky just re-sell via your provider, pretty sure I can get HD sports and movies too if I wanted them (but not 3D). The free second box is a bit of a boon for you, they have always wanted to charge for that in the past.

One other thing, on virgin XL you get Eurosport HD (don't think Sky give that) which IMHO has the best quality HD of them all. I have also noticed just recently that Eurosport 3D has appeared on my EPG. I don't have a 3D TV so cannot comment except to say it looks really wierd on a 2D TV, sort of a split screen affair.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
We use Virgin for BB and phone but not TV so cannot comment on that side of things but the BB is superb, likes others have said I reckon its got to be the best out there. No problems with the phone.

Had problems with the BB a couple of times but managed to talk with someone based in this Country and got sorted very quickly.

I think if you can get it installed OK you will be very pleased with it.

BUT!!!!

Others have mentioned the Indian side of the operation, well my brother had been trying for 70 days to sign up with Virgin but to no avail, they kept getting all his details wrong through not being able to understand each other and constantly going around in ever decreasing circles. He has had such terrible problems trying to talk to the sub-continent, he's give up now.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If broadband is important (especially with more streaming services becoming available) then I'd recommend Virgin. For TV, the introduction of Virgin TiVo has dramatically changed/improved their offering. We were not impressed by V+ HD, as the menus etc were not very friendly, and the machines we were given were slow and had hardly any memory (if recording in HD).

We now have 50MB BB and two TiVo boxes (each has its own dedicated 10MB connection too!). I've stopped looking at what Sky can do, so can't compare any more. Although Sky keep pestering us with mailings to come back to them - like a former girlfriend that can't accept rejection
smiley-wink.gif
?

A

Anonymous

I work for Sky as a technical advisor for phone and broadband and I personally wouldn't give them my custom. I can't really go into too much detail for obvious reasons, but the way in which the company deal with what should be very simple issues is quite frankly shambolic! The hardware that they supply you with is cheap and rubbish, the phone and broadband uses the BT ADSL network which is problematic to say the least. When you do have an issue that can't be sorted by the Tier 1 support, it will go to either BT or to an escalations depatment. Neither of these will be quick to respond or will make much effort in contacting you with an update on your issue. I work for Sky and I am a Virgin Mediacustomer... go figure!

A

Anonymous

Its true Virgin have better broadband, but they lie all the time.

I had a online talk with someone today who swore blind they dont cap 50mb Broadand, and they do not traffic shap on the 50mb or 100mb.

But looking on their Terms it says if you download too much they knock you back from 50mb to 1.75mb during peak hours.

You pay 30.00 for 50mb broadband and they only really give you 1.75mb, at least with sky I get 12mb all day everyday no matter how much I download.

The only service that does not cap is the 100mb, but thats expensive and not available in most areas right now.

I think they are as bad as each other.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
my mother and partner came of sky went to virgin and have regretted it ever since they pay more get less chanels and there customer service very poor as soon as there contract ends they are going back to sky

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
canada16 said:
Its true Virgin have better broadband, but they lie all the time.

I had a online talk with someone today who swore blind they dont cap 50mb Broadand, and they do not traffic shap on the 50mb or 100mb.

Doesn't suprise me to be honest. Before the 100mb service came out, 50mb was open season and not shaped at all. Prior to that, the 20mb was not shaped. Virgin always leave the top service uncapped and unshaped as a selling point I agree that knocking you down to 1.75 is a bit much, usually it is 75% of your expected speed. I'm on 10mb and occasionally get pegged back to 2.5mb which is still better than I can get down my phone line which I think was installed by Mr Bell himself!). Virgin have also not long since introduced a system that throttles P2P traffic as an extra to shaping, irrespective of what tariff you're on.

However, not wishing to start an argument but I don't disagree with traffic management providing it is reasonable. I very rarely fall foul of my limits and I have two "young adults" streaming stuff all the time. To be honest, I can never get my head around why some folks feel the need to download half the internet on a daily basis, pay the same as everyone else, but expect the rest of the world to live with them hogging all the bandwidth

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Have to agree with those positive Virgin Media posts. Have had reason to call out engineers twice in the last year and a half (only one was due to an equipment problem), and they have been brilliant. Friendly and courteous, and both times gave an excellent service.

The last guy came out at the weekend (the day after I called Virgin) to replace my V+ box, but he ended up installing a new 500Gb Tivo box (saving me the installation fee), replacing my basic V box in the conservatory with a new V+ box, and giving me 30 metres of broadband cable to allow me to move my router to a different room (thus saving me £99 to get them to do it).

And the Tivo box seems much better than the V+ box, although I haven't really used it much yet. Top notch service, whereas my mate was without Sky broadband for a month while they faffed around trying to sort it out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts