Alternative to Sky

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
We are not able to have Virgin where we live, so when we bought the house, we went with Sky. The issue is, I don't like them - they seem to charge extra for lots that was included with Virgin, such as HD, and a box in another room - which seems to be taking the mick.

So, I want to know if there are any other providers I could go to.

The problem is that we wtach quite a few of the Sky channels (Living, One, Atlantic, Alibi etc) and we like scheduled tv. We also want to be able to record at least two channels.

I don't seem to be able to find info from any other provider as to exactly which channels they provide as part of which package - it's all very confusing...

Any help, much appreciated!!!!

jjbomber

chris_bates1974 said:
So, I want to know if there are any other providers I could go to.

The problem is that we wtach quite a few of the Sky channels (Living, One, Atlantic, Alibi etc) and we like scheduled tv. We also want to be able to record at least two channels.

I don't seem to be able to find info from any other provider as to exactly which channels they provide as part of which package - it's all very confusing...

Any help, much appreciated!!!!

None others do all you want. BT does Alibi, but not Sky Atlantic.

Best option is to negotiate with Sky, as you can normally got half price from them. Just give 30 days notice to leave and 4/5 days later they will phone you with a half price offer to stay.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

daveh75 said:
eggontoast said:
You could just get an openbox with a preloaded channel list off eBay.

Apart from the legality, I would avoid buying a preconfigured box with 'Gift subscription' unless you want your fingers burnt...

I've no interest in buying one of these, but this is new to me. What are they? What exactly do they do? And why aren't Sky hammering down on the sellers if it's illegal?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

@ daveh75

Thanks

I did a little bit of research myself, and it seems beyond my capabilities should problems arise, and it looks like they quite regularly do.

Like the OP, I'm looking to move away from Sky in the near future, and because of a dispute between BT and Virgin Media where I live (MK), VM won't be coming here soon.

daveh75

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've no interest in buying one of these, but this is new to me. What are they? What exactly do they do?

They're just third party/hobbyist STBs capable of running softcam/EMU s/w which aren't illegal.

But many sellers preconfigure them with 'Gift subscriptions' to dodgy card servers.

Google 'card sharing' or IKS (Internet Key Sharing) as its also known if you want to know more...

why aren't Sky hammering down on the sellers if it's illegal?

They and other providers from all over the world (with the help of the various copyright organisations) regularly do, as well as those running the servers.

It rarely makes mainstream news though...

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Although I would say that overall, my experience is that if you want extras like a second box, Tivo, HD channels (which shouldnt be an "extra" these days), then Virgin is significantly cheaper. It also has more reliable internet.

Not worth moving house for, but it is annoying not to have the choice where I live.

I also would not buy one of those dodgy boxes.

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
FEYE Data Card Antenna is the Perfect Solution to Boost Your 2G/3G/4G GSM Mobile & Data Card Signal or Speed.Anyone with a Data Card has suffered from those "no signal", Slow internet Speed or "service lost" moments. and thats why missed our urgent work so now solve this annoying problem with Datacard Antenna and forget the problem of slow internet and network. For more visit

..........................................................................................................................................................

http://feyeshoppy.com/data-card-antenna] Data Card Antenna [/url]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts