Worst record purchase

Symples

What has been the worst record or CD that you have purchased?

You know the one. The one where you have listened to it again and wondered what was going through your mind at the time.

For me it was The Best Of House 1&2
I came across the CD recently and wondered what the he'll I was thinking.

Mind you, it was a purchase over 30 years ago and I was much younger 😀

So... what was your purchase?

Gray

Much the same as you really Symples (and I'm using the same excuse as you 😉).

I was still attending 'Discos' in the 90's, so a few tunes must have caught my ears....not because they were particularly good, more probably because they were the best of a very bad bunch.

70s Philadelphia and Motown stuff has really stood the test of time for me though.

(You've only got to watch a TOTP from the 90s to realise what a poor decade that was).

So no single worst for me, but one or two housey type compilations where, just like you, I wonder what I was thinking.....it's almost like different person bought them - but I suppose a 30 year younger person is someone else 🤔

Reactions: DougK1

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
CSN&Y - Deja Vu on CD.

I never owned it on vinyl, but remember being entranced by a friends copy as a youth.

So when I spotted an opportunity to buy the CD ( remastered as well ! ) for little money, I jumped in.

Well - what a disappointment, it seemed flat, compressed and just downright dull. Perhaps I got a duff copy, but if not then the remastering engineer needs a good talking to !

twinkletoes

From a technical standpoint Metallica's death magnetic, that was the epitome of the loudness wars. Good if you want a headache for the evening. It was a shame as I really like the music but I just cant listen to it.

From a music standpoint Bearing in mind this was 99/00 so it was harder to discover new music back then. Leftfield's leftism, I was introduced to them with rhythm and stealth, so though id like leftism and I liked a couple singles off the album. Other than those singles it just wasn't for me, So 11 quid of my £3.20 an hr Saturday work down the drain. Almost a days worth of work back then.

I don't remember the name, it was around 40 years ago and, I was in my late teens or early twenties but, back then I bought an album for no better reason, than that the young woman was a vision of loveliness. (She was not Kate Bush!)

I never got past the first track, I never tried it again...

Reactions: Symples and Gray

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Recently purchased Mike Oldfield's Tubula Bell's, On CD. It was such an engaging sound back in the early seventies. I listened to it recently, only to find it weak, unispiring and tepid.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
the record was friends of mister cairo by the vangelis with the vocalist from yes,
the cd was the izzy stradlin album when out of guns`n`roses ,i thought it was a good rock album but never listened to it just when bought i played it skiped some songs, still the same and it´s there somewhere but never to be heard,
have other but was a offer a italo-disco compilation of the 80´s but a song or two are ok but it wasn´t bought

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Probably the remastered version then. (The number of remasters that suck is unbelievable)

Bill
i have the record and the film of the concert in dvd and love it, but either than that i only liked 3 songs of mike oldfield after tubular bells and there´s omadawn ,i think it´s called this that is also interesting but older than tubular bells

Last edited:

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
From a technical standpoint Metallica's death magnetic, that was the epitome of the loudness wars. Good if you want a headache for the evening. It was a shame as I really like the music but I just cant listen to it.

From a music standpoint Bearing in mind this was 99/00 so it was harder to discover new music back then. Leftfield's leftism, I was introduced to them with rhythm and stealth, so though id like leftism and I liked a couple singles off the album. Other than those singles it just wasn't for me, So 11 quid of my £3.20 an hr Saturday work down the drain. Almost a days worth of work back then.
the 80´s and the 90´s were decades with a lot of editions due to the number of alternative labels ,more in the 80´s and less in the 90´s but so much good music that i had not time to hear them all,today that happens at a very low level and most of it are older bands that somehow they are now releasing new albums, like New Model Army, Chameleons ,House of Love, some years ago Psychedelic Furs ,all great bands of the 80´s,i almost forget Ride that had that song "leave them all behind" and "chelsea girl"also now and then ,Stone Roses got togheter release a two song e.p. and a tour is done, another great band that releases a album sometimes is Killing Joke

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
As with Sam, Johnny Angel by Shelley Fabares, no less, on a 45rpm. A girlfriend liked it and she came over to listen to it on my Webcor two or three times. It lasted only a little longer than the girlfriend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts