World Domination Part Two - Making a Cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
jimdonnelly:idc:

Nothing I make is for sale, it is all for me and only me and no one else!

I suppose sharing is not covered in the World Domination handbook.

Unless, of course, it furthers the path to World Domination.

idc

Some of the stuff arrived today......

4481889248_4796f05a4d.jpg

REAN is a division of Neutrik and even though they are cheap they are well made with gold plated plugs and solid plastic housing.

Here is my first mistake. I could not fit the cable through the strain relief, so I cut it off............

4481889680_e6609a7b25.jpg

But when I stripped the wire, I found each part has the signal and ground inside it..........

4481233477_c9f7f3987e.jpg

So two more phonos are on order and sadly I have run out time to do anymore as we are away on holiday.....

A

Anonymous

Oh for heaven's sake, you're just making a cable. My cat could do it blindfold.

Is this the ultimate in egotism?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:

Oh for heaven's sake, you're just making a cable. My cat could do it blindfold.

To quote a fellow forum member: "the forum demands pictures!"

idc

Welcome back Tarquinh, good to hear from you. As you know, my cables will be better than any other cable and I will have spurious scientific evidence to back that up!

idc

First, measure and strip the minimum amount of sheething of the cable. The smaller wire with its own sheething is the signal wire and it goes into the middle of the phono. The wire wrapped around the signal wire is the earth and it is twisted and goes to the ground which is the casing of the phono.......

4517313215_1a6340f375.jpg

Since the phono has no holes the way to connect it to the wire is to tin the wire and tin the phono getting solder onto both........

4517948348_53ac0d88f3.jpg

The connection is made by placing the wires and heating the solder through the case till it melts and joins. Then I have my first IC, the OOTW Solar Mk1.............

4517313797_88edaf489e.jpg

A

Anonymous

Gotham cable is back!!!

I jest, WELL DONE. DIY audio is very satisfying!

idc

Can anyone recommend a simple cheap voltmeter/ammeter (?) so I can check each cable and make sure of the connections, that I will get a signal, no shorts or wired it the wrong way round. Thanks.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I had a simple, cheap DMM but ended up getting a Fluke 179 mainly because I had difficulty confirming a reading when building my GS Novo.

idc

Ah, but I thought DMM was a makers name and found one called DMM on ebay for £5!! The Fluke is way too expensive at the moment.

There is a definite similarity between Prog Rock Man and me......are you on the same forum? I noticed there is a gregvet here and there just today.

idc

I find it very argumentative and both way too technical and way too dumb at times. But it is good for specific detailed info if you are willing to search for it. Five thousand posts here and six hundred there. My post count doubled when I was looking into the issue of jitter and our repetitive digital cable debates. It has jumped again with DIY. There are a number of audio engineers on the site whose knowledge is obviously extremely good. I also have my own thread on the joys of Scandinavian Prog Rock! Just got to spread the message.

idc

Thanks, I think I have a portable one that should be suitable from AudioSpares who I have bought my headphone cable stuff from. I want to make a few more ICs before I tackle the tiny mini XLR connection.

idc

The OOTW Solar MkI in action. In comparison to the SHB Synergy 2i that it replaces the olny difference so far is a slight drop in bass depth, maybe, but I will be doing a lot more listening before a full review. Anyway, it works! Something I have made works!

4525379191_765e4a6542.jpg

idc

Costs. Say I was a cable company, the parts cost £3.35 (retail, so could be had cheaper). If I add £2 towards the soldering kit, £2 for labour, £2 for listing on the internet and postage and £2 for the taxman and £2 for me, they would be sold at £13.35. I can see now why there is money to be made in cables.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Don't forget the R&D costs.

..... and the factory rental .... and the switchboard lady's salary, and the tea girl's salary, and the accountant's salary, and the company BMW, and the marketing/advertising budget ... and ... and ...

sadly, that's why things cost so much when buying from a large company vs the 'cottage industry'

idc

True, but my comparison is with SHB rather than QED. I suppose I should add another £2 to cover my R&D and training and £2 for use of the kitchen, some electricity and a coffee.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts