World Domination Part Two - Making a Cable

idc

My first attempt, a headphone 1/4" jack. It is a cheap one out of Maplins. I have used some speaker cable pulled apart to make up the three cables needed for the signal, return and earth. The jack when taken apart has the connection with little tabs with holes in them. The aim is to solder cables to each tab ensuring there is no contact with any other part or else there will be shorts. There is a plastic tube protector and then the cover with a spring inside which acts a strain relief for larger cables.

4473754248_3c1ec31a24.jpg

Firstly I tin the ends of the cables and then using pliers make a little hook and thread that through each tab hole. Make sure you put the case on first!

4472978305_0550e8b012.jpg

Then I soldered each wire in turn onto its tab

4472980183_34db64966f.jpg

Since I am using thin cable I pinched the two end tabs for strain relief as the spring will not hold the cables

4472981759_0e706c2b77.jpg

Then slide the plastic case into place

4473759636_01b337b3c6.jpg

Then screw on the metal part of the case

4472983387_44e56f0206.jpg

Finally, one cable! Well it just a practice! Next, I will use a mini - jack.

4473762120_ffb07329cd.jpg

Please note that some of the terminology is made up as I do not know the correct words. I also intend to get a volt meter to check that each wire is carrying a signal when it comes to the real thing. With electricity you have to be safe
emotion-21.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Idc, it is by now becoming clear that you are serious about this world domination lark - I hope you have given due consideration to your evil genius identity and name of the organisation you will be leading? I have to say that 'idc' does not fill me with terror (yet).

idc

ESP2009:Idc, it is by now becoming clear that you are serious about this world domination lark - I hope you have given due consideration to your evil genius identity and name of the organisation you will be leading? I have to say that 'idc' does not fill me with terror (yet).

ESP, be afraid, be very afraid..........................

4233546650_ca0e64f0fe.jpg

My cables and other products will be called the Cyber-Audio range.

EDIT - blast, I just googled cyber audio and it is a shop in Durban, South Africa. Cyber Cables are already made in Denmark. Cyber Acoustics make headphones. There is a Hifi Cyber cafe in India. I need to think of something else. This world domination lark has its problems.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
idc:
ESP2009:Idc, it is by now becoming clear that you are serious about this world domination lark - I hope you have given due consideration to your evil genius identity and name of the organisation you will be leading? I have to say that 'idc' does not fill me with terror (yet).

EDIT - blast, I just googled cyber audio and it is a shop in Durban, South Africa. Cyber Cables are already made in Denmark. Cyber Acoustics make headphones. There is a Hifi Cyber cafe in India. I need to think of something else. This world domination lark has its problems.

I wonder what he is listening to?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
jimdonnelly:idc:

I wonder what he is listening to?

Whatever it is, he doesn't look as though he's enjoying it much.
emotion-5.gif

EDIT: Could be "He's Got The Whole World in His Hands".

idc

Craig M.:out of this world? although i prefer the womble one.

Correct! I had narrowed it down to Out Of This World Audio or Russ Andrews, but there is already someone called Russ Andrews selling cables, so OOTW Audio won.

Now all I need are some outrageous quazi-scentific claims and I am in business.

idc

This is what I have bought to make serious cable no 1. A Switchraft Tiny Q-3 pole socket TA3F mini XLR, Van Damme 268-001-000 microphone cable and a Switchcraft Jack Plug 3 pole.

4476390024_d45c5bc67f.jpg

The mini XLR is tiny and is going to be very fiddly..........................................

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
idc:I had a go at making a mini jack cable, but it was too fiddly. I need a helping hand and magnifying glass.

In the vain hope that I may be spared when you achieve world domination, may I suggest you take a look at the model-making market - they do some very nice combined magnifying glass & croc-clip gizmos that may suit. I bought one such beastie for around £5 some years back.

For reference, on Amazon there is: 'Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60mm Magnifying Glass' Ah, looks as though fastest fingers first isn't my forte!

Nice to see your signature suitably amended for furtherence of the World Domination aim.
emotion-14.gif

idc

Surfed the net and ebay is cheaper, so I have Neutrik phonos and Proel cable on order and I am going to make an interconnect first. The mini-XLR is very hard and I really should practice more, see here as to the detail needed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0G5zfhxfA

Interconnects are simple. I shall call them the OOTW Solar Interconnect, to keep in with the space theme.

A

Anonymous

As long as you don't start making mains cables we will be OK!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
mains cables r us:As long as you don't start making mains cables we will be OK!

You see? That's the problem with these world dominating types - they find it hard to share!
emotion-5.gif

idc

mains cables r us:As long as you don't start making mains cables we will be OK!

I will be making a mains extension at some point. I would have it done by now but bill repair bills keep rolling in. Nothing I make is for sale, it is all for me and only me and no one else! I am doing this purely to show others a bit about DIY audio. Think of it as a lunatics guide to DIY.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
idc:

Nothing I make is for sale, it is all for me and only me and no one else!

I suppose sharing is not covered in the World Domination handbook.

TRENDING THREADS