World Cup 2022

Always been a footie fan but when Covid broke out, with the various lockdowns, I kinda lost interest.

It's the wrong time of year to hold a football tournament. That said, this may benefit England as the players looked fresher. Usually when the World Cup starts in June, due to the punishing England schedules, most of the key players either looked 'done in' or carrying injuries.

Reactions: WayneKerr

jjbomber

Was in Qatar for the Wales v USA game. Great atmosphere, all the different fans were happily mingling together. All public transport is free, as is parking at the stadium. Very well organised. I was a bit concerned about digital tickets only being available, but there were loads of volunteers to help. Last soccer international I went to was Wales v Northern Ireland in 1968. So going to the soccer World Cup to watch Wales was on my bucket-hat list!

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray
What puzzles me about all World Cups is the 'Dog and Duck' pub-like teams who are put in groups with some of top nations and end up getting a good spanking. What does that achieve for nations such as Costa Rica, Iran, Canada...?

Personally I think the 'Dog and Ducks' should play in their own separate groups to get to the last 16. This is why the Euros is tougher, pretty much every team is strong.

Just my opinion.

jjbomber

What puzzles me about all World Cups is the 'Dog and Duck' pub-like teams who are put in groups with some of top nations and end up getting a good spanking. What does that achieve for nations such as Costa Rica, Iran, Canada...?

Personally I think the 'Dog and Ducks' should play in their own separate groups to get to the last 16. This is why the Euros is tougher, pretty much every team is strong.

Just my opinion.
Pub like teams? You mean Germany and Argentina!

robdmarsh

So what did you guys think about last night's game?

A pretty turgid performance overall but I have mixed feelings about it. I think Gareth Southgate knows what he's doing and won't be too bothered about what the press are saying. USA are probably one of the best placed teams to take England on as they have so much inside knowledge about the English mentality and how we play. I still think we'll finish top of the group and that is what counts.

A bit more worrying were some of the performances. Bellingham looked like he had been listening too much to those calling him the new savior of English football and was turning up everywhere on the pitch with no real effect or clear role. Too much expectation on such young shoulders, let's hope they take the spotlight off him a bit in the upcoming games. Shaw's magical crossing ability had deserted him. Grealish seems to be stuck on his one note "I'll just keep doing the mazy runs and fall over, drawing the free kicks, shall I?" Declan Rice seems to be hiding and has the ability and potential to offer so much more to the team. And Kane? He's not fit, surely, but GS is in thrall to him.

But then again, job nearly done. So how far do you all think we can go?

robdmarsh

Only seen bits of the World Cup, highlights of England's good win against Iran.

Arguably Messi is the greatest footballer of all time, yet when he plays for his national side he doesn't seem to have the influence of his club form. Strange really.
What about Neymar? Brazil with him in their opening game: stuttering, indecisive and faltering. He goes off and they come alive and score two goals!

robdmarsh

Well, so far the only team to put in two decent performances is France. Some crazy results in recent games! The French look like they could actually break the curse of the previous winners always crashing out before the latter stages.

robdmarsh

Was in Qatar for the Wales v USA game. Great atmosphere, all the different fans were happily mingling together. All public transport is free, as is parking at the stadium. Very well organised. I was a bit concerned about digital tickets only being available, but there were loads of volunteers to help. Last soccer international I went to was Wales v Northern Ireland in 1968. So going to the soccer World Cup to watch Wales was on my bucket-hat list!
Sounds quite nice. What was it like with no booze?!

robdmarsh

No idea what you're on about!!! Don't believe the western media.
No, I'm sure you can buy alcohol in Qatar but I'm also sure the media are right in saying that you can't get alcohol at the stadium or that it's only available in corporate areas - or maybe even that's a lie. Anyway, it's good to hear that there is a nice atmosphere. We hear nothing but sourness about this world cup and the air of cultural superiority given off by England et al is pretty loathsome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts