World Cup 2022

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

robdmarsh

Morocco absolutely deserved to go through vs Spain. Spain resort to ticky tacka passing game with no end result (Morata was woeful!) and there is no plan B.
Morocco on the other hand are not just all about defence. They have real attacking threat and just lacked the finishing. Fantastic team spirit and mental strength in the penalty shootout.

It's getting proper exciting now this World Cup and finally the football is eclipsing the politics. We should go back to the politics, of course, when the tournament is over and make sure that such a corrupt selection process for the host country never happens again!

Hard not to feel that the standard of refereeing has sometimes been as poor as the choice of host...
In what way is the choice of host poor?

There's been relentless disinformation spread by Western media. Every country has its own pace of acceptance of changing attitudes and people need to be allowed that pace. Same-sex marriage was legalised in the UK only 8 years ago. It's still not legal universally in the US. Even in the UK, we know a lot of Catholics don't accept it even today. Where do we draw the lines of morality? And who are we to force other countries to change their culture the way we feel is right? There's so much change that needs to happen within our own country. Even today, Britain does not teach its role in colonisation or transatlantic slave trade in schools. We still have monarchy (not that I have any issues with it, but you can see how some other countries might feel differently about its continuation in today's age), especially countries with colonial past.

A massive issue is made when Qatar decides to restrict sale of alcohol within stadiums, conveniently forgetting the same rule applies in Scotland, France etc.

Total migrant deaths from all causes is passed off as deaths of migrant labourers during building of the stadiums.

The way I see it; international events are a means to showcase that country's culture globally. But the wonderful bits of Qatari culture isn't anywhere in the news. Of course, the way it managed to get the contract is questionable, but people had 10 years to voice it. The way they are managing this massive event so smoothly is amazing. Coming out of Wembley stadium after a concert was a lot more chaotic than 85000 people coming out of the stadium and most traveling via Metro. I was amazed at their crowd management. The atmosphere was wonderful, with people from different countries celebrating and singing and dancing in their own way with live performances from different countries to entertain the queues..... absolutely fantastic!

It's wonderful to see people of so many countries come together. No one's objecting to the way people dress unlike what's being said in the media. I've seen all types of clothing here that I would have seen in London.

It's upto us what we focus on; whether we build bridges and gently encourage change while celebrating the difference in cultures or focus on the negatives and completely reject everything in toto, including positives.

A bit strong worded, but good points made here:

jjbomber

It's been excellent. No drunken hooligans fighting in the streets. Fans from many countries mingling safely amongst each other in the crowd. In fact, it was like being at a rugby world cup, rather than soccer.

My cousin left the lights on and we returned to a flat battery. The volunteer police came over to help, but they were all on motorbikes. Nearby was a speed hump, where the traffic slowed to 5mph to cross. The police stopped every car to see if they had jump leads. After an hour and a half, a Moroccan man, walking past the police, heard what was happening. He came over to use and motioned jump leads. We nodded. Ten minutes later we were up and running. Amazing! You would not get that help in many places in the World.

As mentioned, transport was incredible. The free Metro is outside the stadium, free parking is widely available. There were 100s of volunteers outside the stadium. The organisation is superb.

I think you've all made it about political matters - I was referring to other things, such as the time of year etc. I'll keep my counsel on matters politic as this is not the place. You all know that, so back on topic - my apologies if you thought I was derailing it in that way.

Reactions: bigboss

robdmarsh

There's been relentless disinformation spread by Western media. Every country has its own pace of acceptance of changing attitudes and people need to be allowed that pace. Same-sex marriage was legalised in the UK only 8 years ago. It's still not legal universally in the US. Even in the UK, we know a lot of Catholics don't accept it even today. Where do we draw the lines of morality? And who are we to force other countries to change their culture the way we feel is right? There's so much change that needs to happen within our own country. Even today, Britain does not teach its role in colonisation or transatlantic slave trade in schools. We still have monarchy (not that I have any issues with it, but you can see how some other countries might feel differently about its continuation in today's age), especially countries with colonial past.

A massive issue is made when Qatar decides to restrict sale of alcohol within stadiums, conveniently forgetting the same rule applies in Scotland, France etc.

Total migrant deaths from all causes is passed off as deaths of migrant labourers during building of the stadiums.

The way I see it; international events are a means to showcase that country's culture globally. But the wonderful bits of Qatari culture isn't anywhere in the news. Of course, the way it managed to get the contract is questionable, but people had 10 years to voice it. The way they are managing this massive event so smoothly is amazing. Coming out of Wembley stadium after a concert was a lot more chaotic than 85000 people coming out of the stadium and most traveling via Metro. I was amazed at their crowd management. The atmosphere was wonderful, with people from different countries celebrating and singing and dancing in their own way with live performances from different countries to entertain the queues..... absolutely fantastic!

It's wonderful to see people of so many countries come together. No one's objecting to the way people dress unlike what's being said in the media. I've seen all types of clothing here that I would have seen in London.

It's upto us what we focus on; whether we build bridges and gently encourage change while celebrating the difference in cultures or focus on the negatives and completely reject everything in toto, including positives.

A bit strong worded, but good points made here:

Excellent post, big boss.

Given how well England played against France in large spells, if Southgate decides to quit the role, then everyone will know what a good job he's done since 2016: Semi-finals in 2018 world cup, finals of the Euros and quarters in consecutive tournaments. It's unprecedented with any England manager in modern times, only equaled by Sir Alf Ramsey.

Prior to that there was the mess of 2010 in S. Africa. In 2014 we were out before most of the fans arrived in Brazil; 2016 beaten by Iceland, and the circus of big Sam.

Let's look at the riders and runners should Southgate call time.

Brendan Rodgers: He's the Irish Roberto Martinez - he'll flatter to deceive.

Thomas Tuchel: would England fans tolerate a German leading a English national team?

Mauricio Pochettino: Pretty football but won't win anything.

robdmarsh

Well, guys, who'd have thought it, after all the cynicism, negativity, people saying "All wrong... a winter World Cup?!" those two teams produced the greatest World cup final ever to have been played... by some margin!

I really enjoyed that and congratulations to Argentina! :wineglass:

Didn't see it all, but a great game from what I did. Pity about the Argentinian keeper's tactics though - I'm sure people who follow the game more than me (so that's probably most people) may argue it was legitimate, but forum rules prevent me from using the words I think appropriate to describe his behaviour.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts