Without taking sides

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Septicman:
What I would like to understand is that the cable companies are effectively takingÿone common material - copper, an element, generally 99.9999999999% pure.ÿ They provide them in different guages.ÿ What factors then make one cable sound different from another, given that the conducting metal is almost universal?ÿ I just can't see any difference, nor hear it at the dealers.ÿ Maybe I have cloth ears?ÿ Having said that, I can hear the difference between speakers, amps, CDP's etc., so my hearing can't be that bad.

There are plenty of other factors than just the conducting metal - shielding, plating, weave, connectors, insulation... ÿDo a blind test on a Chord Crimson and a Chord Anthem with a deserving system and I'll eat my hat if you can't hear the difference.
I do believe that when it comes to interconnects & speaker cables you can go on forever about the scientific issues & shielding, plating just like youve said Octopo but the real test is "blind tests" years ago i used to think that if a cable got a great 5 star review, telling you it gives better bass & so on, id buy it, then id listen & think i cant tell any diff from the one i just had, so id recommend blind tests no doubt about it just try & borrow from your local dealer & have a demo & like youve stated above if you can tell the diff then go for it .

A

Anonymous

Have you applied for the $1m challenge yet? Should be money for old rope. In fact, I am amazed it hasn't been won years ago. Any magazine reviewer should be able to pick it up, no problem.

A

Anonymous

Septicman:Have you applied for the $1m challenge yet?ÿ Should be money for old rope.ÿ In fact, I am amazed it hasn't been won years ago.ÿ Any magazine reviewer should be able to pick it up, no problem.

I'm pleased you brought that to my attention, I shall do the very thing. Where's the sign up form?ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Septicman:Have you applied for the $1m challenge yet? Should be money for old rope. In fact, I am amazed it hasn't been won years ago. Any magazine reviewer should be able to pick it up, no problem.
I think we've done a circle here now...

T

the record spot

A

Anonymous

Do you know if he did the double blind test with some 'subjects'?

T

the record spot

No, never did find out, but I might email him to find out. Would be intersting for sure and given I have a BT Mains Conditioning Unit sat right here (in need of repair...), then it's something I'd like to try for myself (or even send to him)!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
professorhat:

Give it a few weeks and no doubt we'll be orbiting this one again.

Yay! Again, again, again!

Ooh look, a biscuit...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
professorhat:

Give it a few weeks and no doubt we'll be orbiting this one again.

A few weeks, probably a few days
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts