Wireless vs HiFi

ukbobhicks

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm struggling to get a good handle on a question posing to myself.

If you spent £800+ on a set or separates (amp, speakers, wired/wireless DAC) or a all-in-one hi-res wireless speaker is it right to assume that the separates would, in theory, sound better?

I'm looking for as best quality system that can fit into my small lounge. In theory a all-in-on wireless speaker such as the Naim Mu-so would be a very neat solution but i'm ultimately thinking would that be the best way to spend £800+ in terms of quality.

You'll see that wireless integration is important, and a compact solution is even more pressing. I guess I need to know, if I purchased maybe something like bookshelf KEF's, a Arcam DAC and an acceptable amp, would this blow the Naim Mu-so (or similar) out of the water? If the answer is no, then a compact (quality) solution is for me.

Would a £500 buget flip the balance?

Priorities: 1) sound quality, 2) space, 3) budget

I'd be very keen to know your thoughts

Cheers

Bob

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard the Mu-So, but I'd assume just from the look of the thing that it wouldn't give you such good stereo separation as a pair of stereo speakers.

IMO the best way to spend your budget would be on a pair of active speakers (Adam is an excellent brand) combined with something like a Google Chromecast.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A pair of Adam Artist6, elegant compact floorstanders, can be had for less than £600, line in only, but just add a source, anything from a £30 Chromecast audio dongle up.

Even a Sonos Connect added to the Artist6 is still only just over £800, but a lot depends on the functionality you require.

At the £500 price point, check out the Yamaha NX-N500, pretty much everything you might need in a pair of speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
For about £700 you could but a pair of AVI DM5 active speakers and use a £50 second hand Yamaha DSP-E800 for the DAC and pre-amp. Unbeatable sound quality by a very long margin for that price IMO.

TRENDING THREADS