wireless N or Devolo homeplug is the question??

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
hi guys im seeking advice on which option to go with. basically the router is in the master bedroom and there is little to no chance of me wiring (rj45) into the lounge (huge job) so thought of the 2 above options. im looking to connect to a xbox 360, the needs of the connection with the 360 are:- (1) online gaming (2) streaming HD movies off Xbox live (3) generally downloading HD movies and game demos so anyone's actually experience and advise is hugely appreciated. if homeplug option i'd plug the homeplug directly into the socket and then run cat6a shielded rj45 from homeplug to router and 360. if wireless N option, the router is in the master bedroom which is directly below the lounge, say 4-5m distance. please note ive the panasonic viera HD plasma tx-p42g20b, supposely some plasma interfere with wireless signals. the 360 is directly below the plasma in the tv unit, say 20cm. advice welcome

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd go for the Devolos.

Think you'll get better, as well as more reliable performance esp if you electrics as relatively modern.

A

Anonymous

Get two in one:

I went for the Devolo Wireless 200 AV Wireless N adapters 1408. You get 3 port ethernet and wireless N extender in one wall plug. Really easy to install and configure.

T

the record spot

Just came across this thread today after I'd been to Maplins and picked up a set of the 200Mb Devolo AV Mini. Great little product - fabulous idea and a fine solution. I had been intending to buy another router for the living room to hook up to the Sony TV and bridge to our O2 router. The guy in Maplins mentioned these and it works a treat. Can now access all the internet content from the TV - very stable too. Highly recommended.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I've not got any experience with the homeplugs, but I've got a wireless N router (Apple time capsule) and I have no issues streaming HD movies from my NAS. The bandwidth far exceeds what's needed and 'N' is a lot less susceptible to interference than 'G'.

A

Anonymous

For streaming full-hd the best way is to have the NAS/player on the same switch, and use the homeplugs to connect the switch to your main router. All devices on the same switch can still communicate at full speed.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I have 2 rooms hooked up to my sky broadband router via Devolo home plugs with a belkin n router creating a wireless network in sitting room. Also have Blu Ray and Amp connected to the router via ethernet. Xbox is using its dongle. Will i get better performance via ethernet cable?? My broadband is fairly slow anyway.

Homeplugs are a fantastic product!! Especially in my old/long/thick walled house!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts