Wireless Music

hw3004

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
If I want to play a CD / LP on my hifi in one room and listen in another what do I need to do?

I have brodband and a wireless router but I don't have the hard drive space (at the moment) or the inclination to rip all the CDs or LPs to a digital source.

By the same token, if I want to listen to FLAC files that I do have on the PC on my hifi - how do I do this?

If I understand correctly a Sonos would take care of this but it's a bit out of my price range and I can't figure out if the Logitech Squeezebox Duet would handle this?

Ant8519

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Squeezebox Duet will happily stream flac from your pc to your hifi and sound very good while doing it. Sonos will too, but will cost much more. Also mac mini plus plus itouch controller plus airport express plus dac will work for even more money.

Streaming a cd or vinyl source is not possible as far as I know, you would need to do the traditional - multiroom speakers, provided your amp has enough speaker terminals to cope.

Ripping all your cd's is a major ball-ache but if you invest in the SB Duet then ripping new as you buy is easy enough and if you have the money you can always pay a ripping service. If not then just do a few dozen at a time whenever you check your emails or whatever, it took me 3 months to do 1000 cd's this way....

Once done and backed up you will find you listen to things you forgot you ever had - I can't speak highly enough of it.

KayJay85

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK you cannot stream music from a CD/LP without somehow first transferring it onto a computer or NAS drive.

Squeezebox is one solution and another one is using an Apple Airport Express. I use the AE and am pretty satisfied with it despite some initial struggles setting it up (see my post in the forum titled the same as yours).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
KayJay85: AFAIK you cannot stream music from a CD/LP without somehow first transferring it onto a computer or NAS drive.

Actually you CAN do this with Sonos. Every Sonos ZonePlayer (ZP) has line-inputs, and you can play the line-input on one ZP to any other ZP in your network or indeed all of them at the same time (Party mode).

So you could have a CD player plugged into the ZP in the living room and select that as the source to be played on a ZP in the kitchen or bedroom or wherever you have another ZP installed.

But no, at >£700 for the starter package it's not especially cheap, but it is good!

nads

it can also be done with a paired Wifi/wireless transmitter/receiver or in my case i have a pair of active speakers in the kitchen that have a built in wireless receiver and the transmiter is connected to one of the Zone outs on the AV amp.so any analogue input can be transmitted to the kitchen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts