Win10 to Linux

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Just changed to linux from windows 10 and wanted to get my dacmagic xs working, ALSA output in VLC media player with the setting audio straight to device without any samling changes seems to work, the light changes colour for different sampling frequencies, its not apparently supported but this seems to work fine although linux itself takes some getting used to

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
im testing the mint cinnamon 19 beta distro atm, seems ok only problems are a little screen flicker and seems to run hotter than mint 18.3, just glad to get my dac working again, the sound from headphone jack was shocking

insider9

Mine is music only dual boot.

I've run Ubuntu for Roon server at first but quickly switched to Vortexbox 2.4 as wanted to run it headless. It's based on Fedora 23. I've since upgraded it to 2.5 that runs on Fedora 25.

I've also got a Daphile install as an alternative, as it allows Upnp with room correction among other things I can't get with Roon. Daphile is a magic little distro, fully headless and I run mine of a USB stick.

Whereas you could run email client with Vortexbox you wouldn't be able to do it with Daphile.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Luckily it had thunderbird mail built into the OS or i would have been tatied, still really new to it but it seems pretty stable for a beta release so far, windows 10 was too busy for me, constantly writing to disk and running way hotter than this beta linux, so i bit the bullitt and did a clean install which completely removed windows.

insider9

Yes, it does take a little time to get used to. But if you're like me and used PCs since late 80's / early 90's you would've used command prompt OS before, be it BASIC or DOS.

There's no getting away from it if you're going to use Linux but many distros make it user friendly and come close to Windows UI.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
since i got the dac working im happy with linux, i can use it all day and dont need to plug laptop in every few hours to charge, its just got a lot less BS built into it that you dont need where windows 10 is basically spyware

abacus

If you’re new to Linux it is better to stick with LTS builds rather than take a chance on Beta versions.

Windows 10 is designed to integrate seamlessly like a phone/Tablet hence all the stuff in the background (Linux is very poor when it comes to integration) however it can all be turned off if you want a streamline system.

Not all professional software will work with Linux which is a bit of a bummer, but hey it is free.

Ubuntu used to be the Distro to go to, but over the last few years it has become so bloated that most Linux users have ditched it in favour of other Distros. (Linux Mint being one of the most popular)

My personal recommendation for those wishing to try Linux is to run it in a virtual machine (Virtual Box is a good option) so that you can have Windows and Linux running at the same time to get used to it, then if you wish to go Linux full time, but still have access to Windows then do it the opposite way round. (It’s much easier to do things then to keep having to reboot into the different OS)

Bill

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Dual boot is out for me cos my windows 10 was corrupted after a repair under warranty, the fan was in loose when i got it back and sounded like a 2 stroke so i just done it myself, the beta linux must nearly be finished cos it just works pretty much the same as the last one which was only 4 days old to me but was a stable version

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts