Wilson Benesch Square 2 vs PMC GB1i vs ... Vienna Acoustics... for Linn Majik DS-I

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Would appreciate any sound opinions/advice on speakers to pair with Linn Majik DS-i.

I am interested in floorstanders with high WAF and small footprint to deliver great sound at reasonable volume (small room in appartment). There will be positioned close to a wall. Budget: about 1500 pounds.

Mainly listen to jazz, blues, rock, electro, ... I have auditioned and excluded so far most models of the following brands: B&W CM8, Dynaudio xcite 220, Focal, Cabasse, ...

On paper, PMC GB1i and WB Square 2 are attractive .... and I am offered these 2 as demo models for identical price ;-)

Any opinions on listed speakers? Which one would you choose and why? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

... by the way I had the chance to listen this weekend to Vienna Acoustics Baby Beethoven Grand ! AMAZING!!! Is the PMC, the WB or any others close to the Vienna Acoustics? Would love the VA but find them too huge for my living room.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
did you listen to Dynaudio Focus 220 or Xcite X32? (as there aren't any 220 in the Xcite range I think)? May I ask why you discounted the Dynaudios?

A

Anonymous

I listened to Dynaudio Xcite 2 and found them great. Reasons why I discounted them was because of some harshness on some musical styles and lack of bass. But it remains subjective!

T

A

Anonymous

I have square ones and love them. I've only heard PMC's at a show and wasn't overly impressed but that might have been the set-up.

PMC's have a good reputation for bass. The Square series have a very dry bass (typical of WB) but it is not to everyone's taste. Can you get a home demo? You may need to pay for them with the understanding that if they don't work in your room you can get a full refund.

A

Anonymous

angelface59:

The Square series have a very dry bass (typical of WB) but it is not to everyone's taste. Can you get a home demo? You may need to pay for them with the understanding that if they don't work in your room you can get a full refund.

This makes me afraid of the WB - the WB might be too analytical and lack of bass with Linn.

I would be happy to find back the bass of the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby - warm sound with good emphasis on bass. However, the VA Beethoven and Mozart are a bit oversized for my room.

thinline01:

Hi

Would appreciate any sound opinions/advice on speakers to pair with Linn Majik DS-i.

I am interested in floorstanders with high WAF and small footprint to deliver great sound at reasonable volume (small room in appartment). There will be positioned close to a wall. Budget: about 1500 pounds.

Mainly listen to jazz, blues, rock, electro, ... I have auditioned and excluded so far most models of the following brands: B&W CM8, Dynaudio xcite 220, Focal, Cabasse, ...

On paper, PMC GB1i and WB Square 2 are attractive .... and I am offered these 2 as demo models for identical price ;-)

Any opinions on listed speakers? Which one would you choose and why? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

... by the way I had the chance to listen this weekend to Vienna Acoustics Baby Beethoven Grand ! AMAZING!!! Is the PMC, the WB or any others close to the Vienna Acoustics? Would love the VA but find them too huge for my living room.

I would seriously look at Totem Arro. Quite simply, they are the best speaker I've heard below 2k. Fantastic for smaller rooms as well.

A

Anonymous

I'm a big fan of the PMC GB1i's; I've heard them numerous times and feel that they may be my next speaker upgrade
emotion-1.gif

They are superb; loots of plunch but with superb clarity and timing to boot. No harshness with them either but the speakers I heard were well run in and on the end of NAD and Arcam amplification.

I have heard them with the Cyrus 8XP and XPower power amp combo with the Rega Saturn CDP and again they sounded amazing...

I've heard the WB Square 2 speakers but it wasnt a demo of mine; just from a distance. Sounded great but for me they're over-hyped I feel. They were on the end of Moon amplification and a Chord DAC (I think)

A

Anonymous

Hi, Owning a DS-I myself i'm actually having the same question ( speaker/ WAF, small footprint and budget) So I wondered If you have made a choice yet and if so why? best regards Stil

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would agree with the OP; ie.that you don't want to match the Linn with an analytical speaker.

PMC, Proac and Spendor would get my vote..can't comment on VA as I've never heard them.

Cno

Edit. I also agree that Dynaudio would be a good match.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with CnoEvil.

I'll add, and as already seen, this is personal preference, I wasn't keen on the Square 1's at all. The 2's were fine, in fact, for openness, detail and transparency, they were excellent, and sounded great with well recorded stuff, but lesser recordings sounded a bit naff. The 1's, for me, didn't even get close to the 2's. But that's just my personal opinion of them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts