Would PMC GB1i be a good match for Cambridge Audio 840C+840A

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi I really liked the PMC GB1i with Linn Majik Amp+CD (or DS) but can't really justify spending so much money on a CD/DS which doesn't even have digital in which I would like to have for the Sonos/Squeezebox system.

I've read really good reviews about CA 840 series (let me know if you strongly dissagree with this) and I didn't really like Naim 5i (it's just not my style). CA also looks good!

I was just wondering if CA 840A would use PMC GB1i fully (cost 2x more than amp) or is it not worth spending that much money and I should get some speakers in similiar price range as the amp? I like GB1i because they are small but still sound good so any alternative speakers would have to be in a similiar size.

I would like to get some feedback from Andrew because I know he really likes PMC GB1i.

A

Anonymous

No reason why this pair up shouldnt work fine, but i cant help but think that if the punchy naim sound wasnt your cup of tea then you must like your hifi a bit more clinical-detailed
in which case i think you could get yourself a more suitable speaker than the pmc offerings to pair with the CA....havnt got the foggiest which ones though....something from proac??

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
marcymarc555:No reason why this pair up shouldnt work fine, but i cant help but think that if the punchy naim sound wasnt your cup of tea then you must like your hifi a bit more clinical-detailedin which case i think you could get yourself a more suitable speaker than the pmc offerings to pair with the CA....havnt got the foggiest which ones though....something from proac??

You have a point here as Cambridge and Naim are both quite forward, whereas to my ears Linn is more relaxed. PMC should be ok though, as ProAc would be. Also try Dali. And Arcam components...

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
marcymarc555:No reason why this pair up shouldnt work fine, but i cant help but think that if the punchy naim sound wasnt your cup of tea then you must like your hifi a bit more clinical-detailedin which case i think you could get yourself a more suitable speaker than the pmc offerings to pair with the CA....havnt got the foggiest which ones though....something from proac??

You have a point here as Cambridge and Naim are both quite forward, whereas to my ears Linn is more relaxed. PMC should be ok though, as ProAc would be. Also try Dali. And Arcam components...

ÿ

ÿ

Your treading a fine line Joel hehe, if mr evilwolf cops wind of this post.............i dare to think.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
marcymarc555:JoelSim:

ÿ

ÿ

Your treading a fine line Joel hehe, if mr evilwolf cops wind of this post.............i dare to think.

ÿ

You're right. I'll make my way to the bunker now...

Hope it's not a full moon

ÿ

ÿ

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:You have a point here as Cambridge and Naim are both quite forward, whereas to my ears Linn is more relaxed.

I must say I haven't got a chance to listen to CA yet but from other forum posts I though that CA should be a bit more suitable for non rock music where I think Naim is very good?

I listen to all kind of music (classical/accoustic/pop/rock) so I'm looking for a all arounder and when I demoed Naim it was very harsh when compared to Arcam for example. Would CA be somewhere between Naim and Arcam? More towards Naim or Arcam?

The big plus for CA is digital input in CD player which none of others have and I will be probably listening mostly to FLACs.

A

Anonymous

*Sniffs the air and follows JoelSim's scent very closely*

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:

ÿ

ÿ

This maybe the case for the lower ranked CA components but the 840s are different. Powerful sound but not forward. I listen to a lot of mellow sounds and they are a great match.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
madeinstein:
JoelSim:You have a point here as Cambridge and Naim are both quite forward, whereas to my ears Linn is more relaxed.

I must say I haven't got a chance to listen to CA yet but from other forum posts I though that CA should be a bit more suitable for non rock music where I think Naim is very good?

I listen to all kind of music (classical/accoustic/pop/rock) so I'm looking for a all arounder and when I demoed Naim it was very harsh when compared to Arcam for example. Would CA be somewhere between Naim and Arcam? More towards Naim or Arcam?

The big plus for CA is digital input in CD player which none of others have and I will be probably listening mostly to FLACs.

Linns new classik music system has digital in. Available for around 1k. Also audition AVI's ADM9.1, awesome with a small sub or without for smaller bandwidth.

A

Anonymous

Any reviews on them speakers? They look like a quarter wave pipe with the port a 5th from the end. A design I wouldn't of thought good for rock or dance. great reinforcement but just not banging. I find a tight sealed enclosure much more banging, which im starting to believe is a strong trait of the CA kit.

edit: just thinking out loud.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:
Linns new classik music system has digital in. Available for around 1k. Also audition AVI's ADM9.1, awesome with a small sub or without for smaller bandwidth.

Yes Linn Classic sound good as well it should be available on 18sept (just 4 days), but unfortunately my local shop is not planning on ordering this one for demos so I try to find it somewhere else.

Re AVI ADM9.1 I've heard lots of rumors about this one but no reviews! I think WHF never received demo samples so I still treat this one as rumors only.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I got the October issue of Hi-Fi Choice, they've got Amp comparison (Arcam A28, Cyrus 6 VS2, CA 840A V2, and few others). Looks like CA was a winner! It was leading in Dynamic power, Dynamic Range and Distortion. Cyrus was best for Frequency Response but not that good for other stuff.. interesting I must say as I've heard lots of good things about Cyrus. Would Cyrus 8 vs2 be much better? I found it in black so it's back on the menu
emotion-1.gif

I also popped in quickly to Richer Sounds today and I must say 840 is massive piece of kit. I always expected this to be a bit smaller. I'm a bit worried that with that power comes lack of detail when listening to music not very loud (and this is going to be 99% of the time). They have a good deal tough 840C+840A+free KEF IQ7 (but only in light wood color - buuu!)

TRENDING THREADS