wilmslow Audio K100

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
This looks like a very, very nice product. In the transmission line section there are some very PMC MB2SE-ish looking models at a fraction of the price. On the basis that the PMC and ATC 75mm midrange domed driver are identical (one copied off the other or so I heard) there is a lot of speaker available here at a fraction of the retail price that either of those manufacturers would charge.

Having just got rid of my very big boxes you have planted another seed. You bad man Andrew! 

Sorry
Btw ill look into pmc mid range.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Laquered Zebrano?

Then there is Russian Bog Wood for a more sinister look.

I'm getting carried away here ... .

On the iq speakers vaneer page are the best but ive emailed wilmslow regarding vaneer choice.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered adding the extra baffle plate that reinforces and reduces cabinet resonances?

ATC-SCM100-Speakers_Tower.jpg~original

What's an extra 10 kilos per speaker? Nuffin.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Have you considered adding the extra baffle plate that reinforces and reduces cabinet resonances? 

I have and they can do it also
But i have not made up my mind yet.

I was thinking that it could produce more vibrations if not together perfect????

Thoughts?

Andrewjvt said:
Almost forgot one of the best things.

I listened at very high volume for about 2 hours and when i finished my amp never even felt hot or warm on the casing so these speakers are very efficient also.

That is one of the benefits of Hegel's patented SoundEngine technology. Their amps stay realtively cool regardless of efficiency or load.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

I have and they can do it also But i have not made up my mind yet.

I was thinking that it could produce more vibrations if not together perfect????

Thoughts?

Hmm, I don't see why it wouldn't be perfect fit between both surfaces. Extra thick baffle is used to have less of the vibrations originating from the woofer affecting the mid and high range drivers.

Now this is thick.

c72d73afb28b29cfe9bc0077906b007b.jpg

scm100a.jpg

Hi Vladimir

Those SCM100ASL look gorgeous in yew finish. I use SCM100ASL Professional monitors (worked hard and saved up four years for these) with two JL Audio E-112's (using subs onboard active crossover and on to SCM100ASL's - Hegel P30 > E-112's > SCM100ASL's). SCM100ASL's already sound stunning but with the E-112's the combination sounds spectacular.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:

Hi Vladimir

Those SCM100ASL look gorgeous in yew finish. I use SCM100ASL Professional monitors (worked hard and saved up four years for these) with two JL Audio E-112's (using subs onboard active crossover and on to SCM100ASL's - Hegel P30 > E-112's > SCM100ASL's). SCM100ASL's already sound stunning but with the E-112's the combination sounds spectacular.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I would need a Japanese earthquake proof house with foundations on ball bearings for that. *wacko*

All the best

Vlad @ The living room atm

Vladimir said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I would need a Japanese earthquake proof house with foundations on ball bearings for that. *wacko*

All the best

Hi Vladimir

That's funny *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Vladimir said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Hi Vladimir

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

All the best

Hi Vladimir

That's funny *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

It sure is. :D

All the best

Vlad @ Still here...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
This looks like a very, very nice product. In the transmission line section there are some very PMC MB2SE-ish looking models at a fraction of the price. On the basis that the PMC and ATC 75mm midrange domed driver are identical (one copied off the other or so I heard) there is a lot of speaker available here at a fraction of the retail price that either of those manufacturers would charge.

Having just got rid of my very big boxes you have planted another seed. You bad man Andrew! 

Just done a quick search on the subject and it appears the pmc has modelled its mid range on the atc mid range.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Thoughts?

Hmm, I don't see why it wouldn't be perfect fit between both surfaces. Extra thick baffle is used to have less of the vibrations originating from the woofer affecting the mid and high range drivers. 

Now this is thick.

Wilmslow are using 25mm thick mdf for the cabinets. When i spoke to atc, they told me they use 19mm. Yes but think ill also have a front baffle made up. Satin or matt black?

Andrewjvt said:
atc mid range.

Known as the 'original' Soft Dome. Later on ATC produced the outstanding Super Soft Dome which is used in domestic/professional passive/active SCM50's, SCM100's, SCM110, SCM150's, SCM200 and SCM300 monitors. Anyway glad that you were impressed with both versions of the Soft Domes and the other ATC drive units which i should you here
thumbs_up.gif

ATC Soft Dome monitoring
regular_smile.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Thoughts?

Now this is thick.

Wilmslow are using 25mm thick mdf for the cabinets. When i spoke to atc, they told me they use 19mm. Yes but think ill also have a front baffle made up. Satin or matt black?

I would pick the cheaper finish. If both cost roughly the same, then the one most resilient to finger marks. If you don't plan to touch them (I don't understand why you wouldn't, I'd touch them all the time, get them in bed, relocate the wife in the garage), then the best looking one to your taste.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Thoughts?

Now this is thick.

I would pick the cheaper finish. If both cost roughly the same, then the one most resilient to finger marks. If you don't plan to touch them (I don't understand why you wouldn't, I'd touch them all the time, get them in bed, relocate the wife in the garage), then the best looking one to your taste. 

Well if i have a front baffle it wont be vaneered so ill have to sand it and spray it myself so i can chose the finish. I quite like the thought of a black baffle now. Thanks for saying as i was thinking but then decided not and now i think i will again lol

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sorry drummerman no fancy zebrano or rosewood

Heres the choices:
Ash, Beech, Cherry, Mahogany, Maple, Oak and Walnut.

Im having a black baffle on the front so thought that cherry, although not my first choice will blend better with other atc speakers

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
for the cherry + black front baffle + frame stands on spikes. 

Thats what im going to do.
Atc scm100s dont look that great haha but will be ok.

Front baffle: i could finish in either matt or satin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts