• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

wilmslow Audio K100

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Vladimir said:
BTW why aren't satellites available as ATC clone kit? I'd go for that.
I already enquired but im going to get some atc scm 11s as rears so i may just pay these off first to have sound then start work on the big kits

Ive got wharfedale 220s but i may take them back to richer sounds and just get the scm11s asap
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
luckylion100 said:
but I've decided to take the more direct approach akin to that of some forum members and just say it as I see it from now on...

I wonder how Hegel would view this, I know/think it's speaker related but is this the correct and professional conduct expected of the Hegel Music Systems UK Dealer of the Year 2015? They're happy for their company/products to be represented by this outlet...
Hegel are a very good, highly proffessional company. The customer services for Hegel is top notch.
If I were a dealer id want to avoid this sort of thing.
 

jonathanRD

Well-known member
Jan 27, 2011
175
50
18,670
David@FrankHarvey said:
jonathanRD said:
Whilst it is interesting to watch and comment on someone's purchase journey, this thread is a timely reminder for me in regards to my own journey. I want a new amplifier but I have just been too busy to start at the moment. But it has crossed my mind as to how much of my thoughts and plans I post upfront, as I am concious of who might be reading these public threads. If I planned to listen to the widest range of amplifiers that was realistic for me in terms of logistics and travel, that might entail demo's with maybe 5 or 6 dealers. Any of those dealers could be reading my posts, so personally I will be a little careful what I share on a public forum. I would want each dealer to think that I was just dealing with them and possibly one other only, and that I was genuinely going to purchase a new item from them.
It doesn't matter who is reading what you put on forums. Forums are for people to ask questions, look for advice, and discuss whatever subject they want. If you're looking at buying an amplifier, you have the right to visit as many dealers as you like in order to hear your shortlist. If a dealer is going to get shirty/miffed/hurt/jealous/sad/angry because you're trying an amp out at another dealer that he doesn't keep, then you have the right to avoid that dealer. Quite a lot of people have a demo, say they're going to think about it, or say they have a another demo lined up elsewhere. Many will come back, some don't. That's the way it is.
It's not someone getting shirty/miffed/hurt/jealous/sad/angry - its more the prospect of me needing multiple demos and home demos before I make my mind up. So I want the dealer to have enough patience and time to allow me to do that. I could simply go down my local dealer tomorrow morning and spend £900 on an amp, on the otherhand I could end up spending £3k to incorporate dacs, streaming etc. I have a pretty good idea of all the options, but I need to properly hear them (and at home) before parting with a large amount of cash. I still don't think it is helpful if the dealer knows fully what you are doing, or what's on your mind which they might pick up if they read this. Or maybe you are right and I should not worry about it.
 

Vladimir

New member
Dec 26, 2013
220
4
0
Indeed. Now you are a proper audiophile and WHF member. In the moments of grotesque is where we shine.
 

iQ Speakers

New member
Feb 24, 2013
129
1
0
Andrew I have a set of large 8" driver stand mounts you could borrow with pleasure that won't make you feel short changed. Just give me an email. I would of thought you have done more for Hegel sales than there marketing team!
 

DocG

New member
May 1, 2012
53
0
0
Vladimir said:
iQ Speakers said:
I would of thought you have done more for Hegel sales than there marketing team!
+1 Truth. Same for ATC.
Indeed, and for that hifi shop concerned. Which makes it all a little surreal, imo.

Then again, I like surreal. I'm Belgian after all!
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
iQ Speakers said:
Andrew I have a set of large 8" driver stand mounts you could borrow with pleasure that won't make you feel short changed. Just give me an email. I would of thought you have done more for Hegel sales than there marketing team!
Thanks that is a very kind offer and one ill be very tempted to take you up on ad i can demo iq speakers also and possibly get a abrahamsen demo same time.
im quite far away and very busy next two weeks with work and buying a new car(searching for a new)but after that i may do just that.

Btw ive been wanting to see your amps/speakers for a long time and am either going to add abrahamsen power amp or a hypex for my center channel speaker anyway.

Once again thank you for your kind offer.
 

lpv

New member
Mar 14, 2013
47
0
0
hi Andrew,

good to hear you're not speakerless anymore.. these babies must sound like a rock band in your living room?

' the individual concerned' hahaha.. good laugh.. anyway, buying direct whenever you can is my advice.. but that's - more or less - what you've done with your speakers
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Ive been so busy lately that ive done sweet f all. Hopefully soon all will be back to normal and ill start building them and getting the atc scm11s.

I actually am now truely speakerless now as before last night, I had q acoustics 2020is. well my brother from Germany came over to collect them so now I have no sound at all.

He was impressed how good they did sound though.

IPV - Have you done the review of the AVI DM5? really looking forward to that one?
 

lpv

New member
Mar 14, 2013
47
0
0
Andrewjvt said:
Ive been so busy lately that ive done sweet f all. Hopefully soon all will be back to normal and ill start building them and getting the atc scm11s.

I actually am now truely speakerless now as before last night, I had q acoustics 2020is. well my brother from Germany came over to collect them so now I have no sound at all.

He was impressed how good they did sound though.

IPV - Have you done the review of the AVI DM5? really looking forward to that one?
Andrew,

AVI DM10 it is now with BK sub.. I'll make sure I'll post some notes to share with you all next week when I'm off for 12 days.. wooo hooo
 

hg

New member
Feb 14, 2014
0
0
0
It is good to see a speaker DIY project and I presume you are still waiting for the ordered parts to turn up? If so, can I suggest you read this thread and take some care.

The K100 has extremely expensive drivers but they are good ones. If you are happy to pay the price then that is sorted.

The cabinet is a large single one and will need both internal stiffening and effective damping adding to the walls. Stiffening the front baffle would also be good but is less important. If you are not opting for the flat pack and fitting the internal stiffening and damping yourself I would suggest discussing with WA what can be done.

If you read the the link above you will see the crossover is basic and lacks the refinements related to baffle diffraction and driver bumps and dips that might be expected in a speaker at a high price. In truth the high quality of the drivers makes this less of a problem than it would be with more modestly priced ones but it is something to check and keep an eye on. The OP in the link above was not able to resolve the issues with the crossover WA delivered for his speaker and for him the project failed after a lot of faffing around.

I am not trying to put you off but suggesting you check and perhaps prepare one or two things while waiting for the parts. The speaker you have opted for is pricey but if implemented well is likely to be pretty good. If the passive crossover turns out to be less than ideal then fixing it is a significant but not a major task and there is a fair amount of DIY experience about with your set of parts.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
David@FrankHarvey said:
Have you got your drivers and bits you need already?
No I have not ordered them as ive started new job and been too busy to even think about them. Im also waiting for my wife to start her new job before I start spending big money again as im keeping cash for emergancy - Im also buying a new car atm so its all stress and hifi takes a lower order of importance. Ill be back to normal duties soon i hope. Btw im first going to get the scm 11s to have decent sound then start ordering the parts for the big ones - That way if they are too much for my space at least ill have 2 options.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lpv said:
Andrewjvt said:
Ive been so busy lately that ive done sweet f all. Hopefully soon all will be back to normal and ill start building them and getting the atc scm11s.

I actually am now truely speakerless now as before last night, I had q acoustics 2020is. well my brother from Germany came over to collect them so now I have no sound at all.

He was impressed how good they did sound though.

IPV - Have you done the review of the AVI DM5? really looking forward to that one?
Andrew,

AVI DM10 it is now with BK sub.. I'll make sure I'll post some notes to share with you all next week when I'm off for 12 days.. wooo hooo
Thanks ill be looking forward very much
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
hg said:
It is good to see a speaker DIY project and I presume you are still waiting for the ordered parts to turn up? If so, can I suggest you read this thread and take some care.

The K100 has extremely expensive drivers but they are good ones. If you are happy to pay the price then that is sorted.

The cabinet is a large single one and will need both internal stiffening and effective damping adding to the walls. Stiffening the front baffle would also be good but is less important. If you are not opting for the flat pack and fitting the internal stiffening and damping yourself I would suggest discussing with WA what can be done.

If you read the the link above you will see the crossover is basic and lacks the refinements related to baffle diffraction and driver bumps and dips that might be expected in a speaker at a high price. In truth the high quality of the drivers makes this less of a problem than it would be with more modestly priced ones but it is something to check and keep an eye on. The OP in the link above was not able to resolve the issues with the crossover WA delivered for his speaker and for him the project failed after a lot of faffing around.

I am not trying to put you off but suggesting you check and perhaps prepare one or two things while waiting for the parts. The speaker you have opted for is pricey but if implemented well is likely to be pretty good. If the passive crossover turns out to be less than ideal then fixing it is a significant but not a major task and there is a fair amount of DIY experience about with your set of parts.
Thanks HG for the info - Ill give a read in a few days when im more relaxed - BTW -I have given all this a lot of thought and have had a demo of the finished product already (for the price its very very good)- I will also fit front baffle like the original scm100 but ive also wondered about the internal bracing - so thanks for the info.

Once im eventually finished Ill welcome people on the forum to come and look and listen to see what they think to the sound and build.
 

hg

New member
Feb 14, 2014
0
0
0
Andrewjvt said:
I will also fit front baffle like the original scm100 but ive also wondered about the internal bracing - so thanks for the info.
It is not just the bracing. The damping is likely more important for a single cabinet without separate bass and midrange cabinets. There is a tendency among audiophiles to think that a stiffer cabinet is a better cabinet but usually all that stiffening does is move the resonances to a higher frequency but leaving them just as loud. At high frequencies the cabinet needs to move less to be as loud as low frequencies. Consider the size and deflection of equally loud woofers and tweeters. For an example look at what stiffening and then effective damping did for the radiation from the KEF LS50 cabinet in Figures 9 and 10 here.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
hg said:
Andrewjvt said:
I will also fit front baffle like the original scm100 but ive also wondered about the internal bracing - so thanks for the info.
It is not just the bracing. The damping is likely more important for a single cabinet without separate bass and midrange cabinets. There is a tendency among audiophiles to think that a stiffer cabinet is a better cabinet but usually all that stiffening does is move the resonances to a higher frequency but leaving them just as loud. At high frequencies the cabinet needs to move less to be as loud as low frequencies. Consider the size and deflection of equally loud woofers and tweeters. For an example look at what stiffening and then effective damping did for the radiation from the KEF LS50 cabinet in Figures 9 and 10 here.
the original ATC SCM 100 also have single cabinet without separate bass and midrange cabs. The k100 kit supply plenty of damping material.
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
0
18,890
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Have you got your drivers and bits you need already?
No I have not ordered them as ive started new job and been too busy to even think about them. Im also waiting for my wife to start her new job before I start spending big money again as im keeping cash for emergancy - Im also buying a new car atm so its all stress and hifi takes a lower order of importance. Ill be back to normal duties soon i hope. Btw im first going to get the scm 11s to have decent sound then start ordering the parts for the big ones - That way if they are too much for my space at least ill have 2 options.
The only reason I ask is that Wilmslow Audio are up for sale...
 

lpv

New member
Mar 14, 2013
47
0
0
Andrew, is it - correct me if I'm wrong - the hegel amp that dictate passive route?
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Have you got your drivers and bits you need already?
No I have not ordered them as ive started new job and been too busy to even think about them. Im also waiting for my wife to start her new job before I start spending big money again as im keeping cash for emergancy - Im also buying a new car atm so its all stress and hifi takes a lower order of importance. Ill be back to normal duties soon i hope. Btw im first going to get the scm 11s to have decent sound then start ordering the parts for the big ones - That way if they are too much for my space at least ill have 2 options.
The only reason I ask is that Wilmslow Audio are up for sale...
Cheers - where did you hear that - I either need to buy quick or im fd in the b. wonder if they will continue trading though?
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lpv said:
Andrew, is it - correct me if I'm wrong - the hegel amp that dictate passive route?
As ive already spent a lot on the hegel yes.

BTW as you have avi dm10 and atc active scm40s how do they compare?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS