Will hifi die as Coronavirus spreads?

Squall Leonhart

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
I am 33 and been into hifi for 5 years. I would have gotten into hifi earlier if I knew how good it was.

I think it's the lack of advertising that is an issue as hifi companies seem to only spend money on advertising in places where people already have an interest in hifi. Not that I blame them as advertising costs a lot of money so its safest to spend all the ad money in places where people already have an interest like hifi magazines.

Basically all I am saying is there must be a way to pull more people into hifi

Last edited:

rainsoothe

I am 33 and been into hifi for 5 years. I would have gotten into hifi earlier if I knew how good it was.

I think it's the lack of advertising that is an issue as hifi companies seem to only spend money on advertising in places where people already have an interest in hifi. Not that I blame them as advertising costs a lot of money so its safest to spend all the ad money in places where people already have an interest like hifi magazines.

Basically all I am saying is there must be a way to pull more people into hifi
The lack of advertising point you're making is actually very good, can't recall ever seeing a TV ad for stuff like this.

Reactions: Squall Leonhart

Jimboo

Most hifi enthusiasts are of retirement age. As a result more susceptible to the virus. Younger people don't care about sound quality. And finally once sh*t hits the fan no one will care.

Is this the end of hifi?
Wow, massive generalisations and assumptions. Hi-fi is hardware to play music therefore in phones, tablets and computers or lifestyle speakers etc it will flourish. Change , yes. Die no. As for the grim reaper virus you so fear a little sensible thinking is needed. The amount dead are ridiculously small as is the infection rate. It is a cold virus. It will be dangerous to people already with very serious health issues. Flu , pneumonia etc has the same effect on those afflicted. The real worry over the virus is the hysterical fear and panic amongst the general public of whom 99.9% will be ok in a matter of days if they catch it.
The resources and billions being spent need to be used for the most vulnerable.
Hi-Fi will also survive.

insider9

@Jimboo it has nothing to do with grim reaper. Financial markets collapsed last week. Europe is under lock down. It's your decision to be misinformed comparing it to cold. Sensible thinking is indeed necessary so please stop spreading misinformation.

Jimboo

Insider if you have any factual quotable medical fact that the coronavirus is unlike the other 3 Corona viruses currently known to medical science then please do advise us all how it is different. If you are of a healthy disposition now it cannot kill you. Information is king. I await your evidence to the contrary keenly.
As for advertising hi-fi the likes of Sonos and general Bluetooth speaker makers suggest music is still popular in the home.

Reactions: Moree Spingato
D

Deleted member 108165

It's all gonna be down to luck as to whether it gets you or not, and how severe your symptoms will be. No amount of sanitising/hand-washing is going to protect you... We just have to hope that it doesn't get to 1918 Spanish flu levels of mortality rate.

D

Deleted member 108165

Insider is hoping that it'll kill off all the old 'uns so there'll be a heap of cheap used quality hi-fi kit available in the classified ads :ROFLMAO:

Jimboo

Insider is hoping that it'll kill off all the old 'uns so there'll be a heap of cheap used quality hi-fi kit available in the classified ads :ROFLMAO:
I think he is frantically googling to find the proof that covid 19 is the apocalypse.
Sonos have done pretty well considering their advertising method. I like my active speakers and I think they will be the future.

insider9

Doug, I hope you're well. I won't say it didn't cross my mind but lets hope I can get a system of my dreams by other means.

Jimboo, first of all there isn't a vaccine for any of Coronavirus family viruses. That's in 18 years they've tried. Ive been in a loop for couple of months. I'm not worried about getting it or dying from it. If it happens it happens. I can be careful but there's no guarantees.

The thread was setup to discuss larger implications. Impact on movement and trade is obvious. Impact on every day life is huge. This is something we'll potentially have to live with for a long while particularly as you can get re-infected.

Reactions: Squall Leonhart
D

Deleted member 2457

Doug, I hope you're well. I won't say it didn't cross my mind but lets hope I can get a system of my dreams by other means.

Jimboo, first of all there isn't a vaccine for any of Coronavirus family viruses. That's in 18 years they've tried. Ive been in a loop for couple of months. I'm not worried about getting it or dying from it. If it happens it happens. I can be careful but there's no guarantees.

The thread was setup to discuss larger implications. Impact on movement and trade is obvious. Impact on every day life is huge. This is something we'll potentially have to live with for a long while particularly as you can get re-infected.
Can we seriously get re-infected? I know they have spoke about it and have said it might become an annual virus.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm in good health but one must be philosophical about these things, if your times up it's up. Not going to get a heart attack due to worrying about it.

A lot of companies may indeed go to the wall if it does continue to spread exponentially. What annoys me is the stupid young 'uns at work saying it's not going to stop them having a holiday abroad this year... wanna bet!

Jimboo

Insider , you take precautions against bird flu , swine flu or Sars? How about Mers or H1N1. Thought not . There is near hysteria spread by basically stupid half truths , prime minister quoting we will lose loved ones . Naturally we will if they are gravelly I'll and suceptable to viral infection.All viruses mutate that's why you are always likely to get a cold every year.
Curing the common cold has been attempted for the lifetime of medicine. The effort should be put into protecting the vulnerable.There are larger implications based on a media driven fear.

Jimboo

I'm in good health but one must be philosophical about these things, if your times up it's up. Not going to get a heart attack due to worrying about it.

A lot of companies may indeed go to the wall if it does continue to spread exponentially. What annoys me is the stupid young 'uns at work saying it's not going to stop them having a holiday abroad this year... wanna bet!
That will be because of government policy rather than a stupid thing to do. It is already present everywhere.

D

Deleted member 108165

Can we seriously get re-infected? I know they have spoke about it and have said it might become an annual virus.
I'm no clinician but you can get flu more than once can't you. Thing about viruses is they mutate, the 1918 Spanish flu virus mutated to a less severe form. A virus really doesn't want to kill its host otherwise that's the end of the virus, they're clever... they've probably been on this planet longer than us.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 108165

That will be because of government policy rather than a stupid thing to do. It is already present everywhere.
So if there was no government intervention would you still holiday in northern Italy or Spain next week?

Reactions: insider9

Jimboo

According to Chinese research immunity wont last as long as a result this can cause re-infection in some cases
Then logically it will be a different virus. It is a mild respiratory infection that is a cold. Immunity will decrease after a couple of years . It will mutate and spread and generally do the same thing as colds do. H1N1 , Sars, bird flu or swine flu . This is the sixth pandemic this century four of them Corona strain. How many times have you been abroad or emptied the supermarket in the last twenty years. They are all still active and incurable.Hysteria is the danger here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts