Will CDs ever go Hi-Res?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

I was aware of the word but thought I'd better look it up. Sophist = A person who reasons with clever but false arguments.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I was aware of the word but thought I'd better look it up. Sophist = A person who reasons with clever but false arguments.
Interesting, Google does give that as part of their top-result. It was disingenuous of you to leave out what preceded:
"a paid teacher of philosophy and rhetoric in Greece in the Classical and Hellenistic periods, associated in popular thought with moral scepticism and specious reasoning."

Britannica, more thorough, is where I'm truly coming from:
Screen Shot.png

'Plato and Aristotle altered the meaning again, however, when they claimed that professional teachers such as Protagoras were not seeking the truth but only victory in debate and were prepared to use dishonest means to achieve it. This produced the sense “captious or fallacious reasoner or quibbler,” which has remained dominant to the present day.'

Of course, it-takes-one-to-know-one. I've that string-to-my-bow.

D

Deleted member 108165

Interesting, Google does give that as part of their top-result. It was disingenuous of you to leave out what preceded:
"a paid teacher of philosophy and rhetoric in Greece in the Classical and Hellenistic periods, associated in popular thought with moral scepticism and specious reasoning."

Britannica, more thorough, is where I'm truly coming from:
View attachment 2182

'Plato and Aristotle altered the meaning again, however, when they claimed that professional teachers such as Protagoras were not seeking the truth but only victory in debate and were prepared to use dishonest means to achieve it. This produced the sense “captious or fallacious reasoner or quibbler,” which has remained dominant to the present day.'

Of course, it-takes-one-to-know-one. I've that string-to-my-bow.
You are far too smart for me, you use long words like disingenuous, that's why I don't get into debates with you... nothing personal.

D

Deleted member 108165

There are some really good remasters. Genesis -Foxtrot, Sergeant Pepper, Steely Dan-Coundown to Ecstasy, to name a few.
There may well be Trev, it just seems that I purchase all the dodgy ones... probably has something to do with my music tastes :)

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
You are far too smart for me, you use long words like disingenuous, that's why I don't get into debates with you... nothing personal.
I confess to a misspent youth, precociously delving too deep into everything I chanced upon. But almost never will I reply maliciously just because I can. We've our individual strong-opinions

And I acknowledge the social aspect, the fun of community, to being in forums. So peace. I should just focus on outwitting my injury.

My left arm is busted, and its corresponding knee is starting to ache. Yet, I'm thankful hips were spared from the fall.

Have you seen KI's (probably indeed) last recorded demonstration? It's a gem which I watch a little bit of whenever I sense I'm lost within YouTube or Netflix, recalling music being more…

Reactions: radiorog
There are some really good remasters. Genesis -Foxtrot, Sergeant Pepper, Steely Dan-Coundown to Ecstasy, to name a few.
Agreed. Some sound the biz and others sound atrocious, especially the over compressed variety.

I have a Simon and Garfunkel box set remastered, and it sounds quite awful. By contrast, I've remastered The Beatles Red and Blue greatest hits albums and they sound terrific.

Reactions: radiorog
D

Deleted member 108165

I confess to a misspent youth, precociously delving too deep into everything I chanced upon. But almost never will I reply maliciously just because I can. We've our individual strong-opinions

And I acknowledge the social aspect, the fun of community, to being in forums. So peace. I should just focus on outwitting my injury.

My left arm is busted, and its corresponding knee is starting to ache. Yet, I'm thankful hips were spared from the fall.

Have you seen KI's (probably indeed) last recorded demonstration? It's a gem which I watch a little bit of whenever I sense I'm lost within YouTube or Netflix, recalling music being more…
You fall sounds nasty, wishing you a swift recovery Wil (y)

Reactions: Wil

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Why would you feel the need to do that? What benefits do you see from it?
Sorry for late reply (to all), have been recovering from covid and getting back to work. Thankfully it wasnt too bad, but enough to keep me off work for a couple of weeks (would have taken time off even if hadnt needed to isolate). 95% over it now.....

Yeah, so the benefits I was envisaging were that I can clearly hear the difference on my system from regular bluetooth to Aptx, to was presuming I would hear subtle but significant differences in other digital source upgrades. Was thinking that as people are into Hi-res music, and most people seem to be saying that there is a difference between this and CD quality, so I was thinking could you not then put those Hi-res files straight onto disc, to be played, albeit on an upgraded player. And if there is no difference in quality, then why is Hi-res a thing?

Reactions: insider9

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Appreciate the explanation, however you didn't really answer my questions which were specific to your needs and wants. What do you expect to hear? Do you have any specific new releases you're expecting hoping they're recorded at 24/192?

As someone who works with audio every day, hopefully at a pro level later this year, I understand the theory. I can also tell you that not many people work at 24/192 and most don't go above 24/48 which seems to be favoured by many including me.

Some of my favourite Jazz recordings, albeit recorded analogue, need no more than 8/32 making CD at 16/44.1 extravagant. It's all about music, performances, recording and how it's all mixed and mastered.

And to answer your OP. We'll be lucky to have 16/44.1 CDs still in production in 10 years from now.
Hi Insider, it wasnt actually me (OP) replying to your original question, but what would I expect to hear? Well I was thinking of hearing the same step up in performance that other people hear from CD up to Hi-res files. Maybe slightly more analogue sound, more nuances in music.
Aptx HD goes up to 24/48. Does this mean it can potentially sound as good as wired listening at this level?

Reactions: insider9

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'll be brief. Disregard physical CDs' future , expand your opinions about 16/44.1 vs your favoured 24/48 in (present/coming) the-age-of-streaming.
Hi Wil, hope your arm and knee are healing well. :)
Yeah, I've recently been looking into getting into streaming, either by node 2i or Raspberry Pi with DAC, still havent decided, they both seem to have merits. With Node 2i I can potentially stream Hi-res music straight to my PX7 headphones.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Glad you came through that OK.
Presumably your turn for vaccination hadn't come round in time.
Thanks Gray, cheers, yeah one of the luckier ones, still waiting for the last 5% to shift off before I do a real dance of joy, but confident it will. I actually had my jab 2 weeks before I fell ill. Going by the incubation period I think I was likely to have picked up the virus 1 week after I had vaccine, so the vaccine hadnt had enough enough time to do its thing. Apparently it takes 2-3 weeks for the vaccine to work.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts