Will Blu-Ray purely audio discs ever make an appearance?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
With all this talk of greater-than-CD-quality downloads, I'm just wondering if there'll ever be any purely audio BD discs for those who want the highest quality, but still a physical product to hold.

Has the underwhelming performance (total sales, not audio quality) of SACD and DVD-A, and the world's predilection for downloading music, meant that any physical format over and above CD is unlikely to ever happen?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/515080.aspx

http://community.whathifi.com/blogs/hifi/archive/2008/06/05/news-now-blu-ray-disc-goes-audio.aspx

I guess that's an emphatic 'Yes' then.
emotion-2.gif

I'm surprised at just how little info is out there. I mean, I'm an audio fan, I have BD, I frequent this place and even I didn't know.
emotion-10.gif

manicm

Considering the price levels Blu-ray players have stooped to and their subsequent proliferation, record companies would be complete fools not to release them. They will succeed where DVD-A and SACD failed.

Neil Young seems to be the pioneer, lets hope others follow soon. I might be collecting discs again :)

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Mojo by Tom Petty and Damn The Torpedoes by Tom Petty ...it's a start, and they're not jazz or classical releases!

I've already got Mojo and it sounds great, no better than a SACD or DVD-Audio, but I agree, you can easily see this would be a format that could succeed where they failed for mainstream releases. With Mojo I got a code which enabled me a one time download of the album in FLAC 24/48, Apple Lossless & MP3 320kbps.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Although it's not a pure audio-only BD, Neil Young's Archives Vol.1 deserve a mention. I've watched hours of footage spread out over the ten discs, but I now just play the discs as if they were CDs.

Neil's even supplied eye-pleasing visuals (records playing on 70's turntables, reel-to-reel's spooling etc) to accompany the music, if that's your thing.

Sound wise, even from my PS3, (admittedly fed into my DAC) it's great. I'm a convert to BD audio when it's done this well.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt:Im waiting for the big 4 on Blu Ray...you?

Yep! Pre-ordered it ages ago. Anthrax are the only ones I've not seen live before, so looking forward to that the most.

I've also bought it on DVD for my brother's Christmas present.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts