Will a DAC help improve my set up?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
On a similar theme, I've just ordered some interconnects so that I can compare my Rega Apollo CDP connected by rca's into my Exposure pre-amp, versus the same CDP connected using a digital cable into the Exposure pre-amp's dac module. I believe both have a similar dac, so it will be interesting to compare. I can simply switch inputs on the remote to get an immediate comparison.

My expectation bias is that they will be similar *smile*

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar system to what you had a few years ago:

PM7004 amp, NA7004 streamer and Dali Lektor 2 speakers.

Like you I wasn't satisfied and bought a Chord Hugo. It made no difference to my set up and I hated the Hugo. It was really not user friendly.

I ended up changing my speakers and amp which made more of a difference.

On reflection, I don't think my original Marantz system and Dali speakers was so bad and in some ways I really miss it. Voices and conversations on radio and film sounded really life like and my wife used to think I was talking to someone when I was using my old hifi.

I get different qualities from my new upgraded KEF LS50 speaker and Naim Unitiqute/Roksan K3 amp but they have never been able to reproduce the life like qualities my old Marantz and Dali system was able to.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Aslan said:
I had a similar system to what you had a few years ago:

PM7004 amp, NA7004 streamer and Dali Lektor 2 speakers.

Like you I wasn't satisfied and bought a Chord Hugo. It made no difference to my set up and I hated the Hugo. It was really not user friendly.

I ended up changing my speakers and amp which made more of a difference.

On reflection, I don't think my original Marantz system and Dali speakers was so bad and in some ways I really miss it. Voices and conversations on radio and film sounded really life like and my wife used to think I was talking to someone when I was using my old hifi.

I get different qualities from my new upgraded KEF LS50 speaker and Naim Unitiqute/Roksan K3 amp but they have never been able to reproduce the life like qualities my old Marantz and Dali system was able to.
Interesting. Thanks Aslan. My wife thinks my expectations are too high. She is fairly happy with the system but she doesn't listen to it in the same way I do. I am going to audition some new speakers and see how that works.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts