WiiM Pro Plus

FJmack

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
Does this product allow you to bypass the built in DAC and stream directly to an external DAC or one built into an integrated amplifier (in the same way the Chromecast Audio let you do)?

If so, and if it’s the DAC rather than the streaming element that defines the sound quality, doesn’t it make the expensive streamer and expensive streamer/DAC combos look redundant? This, into a DAC of your choice will be a cheaper way of doing it. Especially as it has all the formats most people will actually use, has easy to use software, can be used for multi-room and, according to the specs listed by a retailer, its also Roon compatible. What can a high end streamer add that’s worth paying for?

mr_sneff

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Does this product allow you to bypass the built in DAC and stream directly to an external DAC or one built into an integrated amplifier (in the same way the Chromecast Audio let you do)?

If so, and if it’s the DAC rather than the streaming element that defines the sound quality, doesn’t it make the expensive streamer and expensive streamer/DAC combos look redundant? This, into a DAC of your choice will be a cheaper way of doing it. Especially as it has all the formats most people will actually use, has easy to use software, can be used for multi-room and, according to the specs listed by a retailer, its also Roon compatible. What can a high end streamer add that’s worth paying for?
Yes, mine is connected (via coax) to a Chord 2Qute and it sounds amazing!

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site

‘What can a high end streamer add that’s worth paying for?’ you ask. Quite. It seems the word ‘disruptive’ genuinely applies here. In fact, you get the impression WHF realise this by beginning their verdict with the words ‘As a first, affordable introduction’, so as not to obviously undermine other streaming products - all being many times more expensive - which likely offer little more, especially if an external DAC is added to its bit-perfect optical or coax outputs. Few articles (including this one) also mention that this is probably the world’s only independent product to allow Amazon Music to be Alexacasted directly from the native Amazon Music iOS or Android app, thereby allowing AM subscribers to bypass the perfectly serviceable WiiM app if they so wish.

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Bear in mind the two pairs of RCAs are quite close together, and slightly recessed into the casework, so it’s tricky to fit those expensive, big-barrelled analogue interconnects you’ve saved up for.
I can't see the kind of people who buy expensive interconnects, wanting to sully their HiFi rack with a streamer this cheap, no matter how good it may be for the money.

FJmack

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
It would be good if next time What HiFi review a streamer / DAC combo with a high price ticket they also review the Wiim streamer into the combos’ DAC to see if the streamer makes any difference to the sound of the product. My guess is that it will make no difference at all and its only the DAC that effects the sound. Obviously the manufacturers won’t approve but it’s a consumer website / magazine.

manicm

Heads up. In November WiiM are releasing the WiiM Amp, essentially a WiiM Pro Plus with amplification. 60w x 2 at 8ohms, 120w x2 at 4 ohms. Will have subwoofer out, HDMI eArc out, and USB drive out.

All coming in at around $300 apparently. Will possibly have a choice of 3 colours: Dark Grey, Silver and Midnight Blue. Has a nice volume control too.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

vitoruch

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site

YES, notice that this is the Wiim Pro 'Plus', with a better DAC. But U also have the 'Wiin Pro' (only costing $149 !), much more suited for those willing to use only the streamming part! :)

FJmack

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
A case in point. The new Arcams launched yesterday. The two integrated (A5 and A15) contain the same DAC as the streamer ST5 (being ESS ES9018). But the streamer is £799. Wouldn't it make sense to use a WiiM streamer direct into the Arcam DAC in the A5 or A15 and save yourself about £600? Its actually got a bit more functionality, and if as What HiFi says the software is good it seems to make the ST5 redundant for those buying the Arcam integrateds.

Reactions: jarmez and Hifiman

jarmez

Oct 13, 2023
Visit site
A case in point. The new Arcams launched yesterday. The two integrated (A5 and A15) contain the same DAC as the streamer ST5 (being ESS ES9018). But the streamer is £799. Wouldn't it make sense to use a WiiM streamer direct into the Arcam DAC in the A5 or A15 and save yourself about £600? Its actually got a bit more functionality, and if as What HiFi says the software is good it seems to make the ST5 redundant for those buying the Arcam integrateds.
Yes, I second this. I guess an easy way to test this would be to try the WiiM with both RCA using its on board DAC, and then again with coax using the Arcams DAC. I have ordered an A5 - currently supplier is waiting for them to arrive in the country, and this is exactly the setup I am looking at. I can’t justify the price of the ST5 for what it is - as nice as it will all look on a rack together. The WiiM I think is the better value proposition. The question is if the DAC in the pro plus is better than that in the A5 or not? If it’s not then I would be inclined to get the base model WiiM and use the Arcams in built DAC. I can’t wait for it to arrive hoping for December but January is more likely. Pairing with some Dali Oberon 5 speakers.

derboegermeister

Nov 13, 2023
Visit site
I use it for incredible sounding high res streaming with Quobuz and - even more stunning - with my project CD Box DS which brings my cd-collection to a completely new level. I bypass the DAC in my Cyrus one Cast and my whole setup with Cremona Auditor M never sounded near that good. My wife, who wasnt aware of any change in setupy, asked me after listening to a cd, "wow, why does this sounds THAT good?". And she is no hifi enthusiast at all. . .

Reactions: Dronne

Dronne

Nov 21, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone know if this product supports the new BBC format for internet radio?
I regularly play BBC radio to my WiiM Pro/Plus from LMS using WiiM’s Squeezelite feature, or from the BBC menu in the WiiM Home app. It’ll also play the links in BBC-Radio-lstn-HLS-.m3u list here

Last edited:

Dronne

Nov 21, 2023
Visit site
Heads up. In November WiiM are releasing the WiiM Amp, essentially a WiiM Pro Plus with amplification. 60w x 2 at 8ohms, 120w x2 at 4 ohms. Will have subwoofer out, HDMI eArc out, and USB drive out.

All coming in at around $300 apparently. Will possibly have a choice of 3 colours: Dark Grey, Silver and Midnight Blue. Has a nice volume control too.
The USB connection isn’t an output, it’s just for playback of music stored on an external USB drive. Midnight Blue isn’t an option, just Space Grey and Silver. And HDMI is just ARC and again an input, not output, for TV sound etc.

Last edited:

Dronne

Nov 21, 2023
Visit site
Few articles (including this one) also mention that this is probably the world’s only independent product to allow Amazon Music to be Alexacasted directly from the native Amazon Music iOS or Android app, thereby allowing AM subscribers to bypass the perfectly serviceable WiiM app if they so wish.
I’d say it’s the only device, independent or not, that supports bit perfect AlexaCast up to 24/192 - I’ve very strong suspicions that even Amazon’s kit tops out at 24/48 (conveniently masked as UHD) for AlexaCast - and multi room for that matter.

Dronne

Nov 21, 2023
Visit site
YES, notice that this is the Wiim Pro 'Plus', with a better DAC. But U also have the 'Wiin Pro' (only costing $149 !), much more suited for those willing to use only the streamming part! :)
The Pro Plus also has a better analogue input stage than the Pro if that’s important to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts