Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
3 stars, rather than four, does seem a little harsh given this product is a fraction of the price of most competition, especially given the build and functionality. A real limitation to me is that there is no digital out so if (or when, according to this review) someone wishes to add their own amplification there is no option to use the product purely as a streamer.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

manicm

3 stars, rather than four, does seem a little harsh given this product is a fraction of the price of most competition, especially given the build and functionality. A real limitation to me is that there is no digital out so if (or when, according to this review) someone wishes to add their own amplification there is no option to use the product purely as a streamer.

I think maybe 3.5 stars would be fair. The review is in sync with some others - that its amplification had to strike a compromise at this price.

John Darko seemed to think it pairs very well with the Project Speakerbox 5 s2 though.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

paulgmartin84

Mar 23, 2024
Visit site
Wiim already makes the wiim mini (which I have and very much like) that works purely as a streamer. It has all the streaming capabilities of the amp with an optical output to plug into a dac. Or they make the wiim pro and pro plus that do the same only add in a DAC. Also both cheaper than the amp, so you're sorted.

As others have noted the review seems a bit harsh, what I'm interested in is the sub out, which has in inbuilt splitter, darko in his review said this really added to the sounds quality, allowing the speakers so much more. It doesn't seem to have been tried here on whathifi

Last edited:

manicm

Yes, call me a cynic but I cant help thinking that the very same product - but with a Cambridge Audio badge....would have somehow managed to exceed 3 stars :unsure:

Its amplification is compromised - that is without question. And WHF has given CA products 3 stars before.

Taken as it is, it makes for a great streaming system, within audio limits.

manicm

Yes, I'm well aware of that - and of the fact that WHF has praised Wiim streamers👍

But CA are one of the blue-eyed brands that, far more often than not, seem to do no wrong as far as WHF are concerned.
(We'd like to think that performance is the only motive for that).

They did give the Wiim Pro Plus 5 stars though.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS