WiFi Ethernet on Blu Ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
While looking at the specs of all the latest BD players it made me think who in their right mind is going to trail an ethernet cable across their room for BD Live content when wireless routers and wifi enabled pc's and laptops have had wi-fi for years.

Is the solution to fit an ethernet wifi adaptor as used on the xbox? From all the reviews I've read on BD players this has never been brought up before.

Appreciate comments!

A

Anonymous

Mine is the other side of the living room on a high shelf. No need for a cable for my wireless laptop so seems a bit backwards to need one for the BD.

Does anyone know if the next development will see in-built wifi like the plans to make wirelss connections between seperates and displays?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can't see any reason why not, thought I haven't tried it. We have Sony's Technical Training Manager for Europe coming in this afternoon - I'll ask him...

A

Anonymous

This was also the first thing that I noticed! Blu ray is the future but ethernet is so 90's!

However from a hifi point of view there would be minimal radiation from ethernet. However the most expensive denom receivers do have wi fi.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Or get a PS3 which has the wireless connection built in...

Well I'm going for the Panny BD50. I'm happy with my Xbox Elite for gaming...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The man from Del Monte - or at least Sony - say yes. As he put it "I can't speak for other manufacturers' players, but ours are fine with an external Ethernet/wi-fi adapter."

So why not just build it in? Apparently Sony's been looking at it for future players, but there are potential interference problems if it's done with a hideaway antenna, and many people won't want the typical pop-up rubber aerial if they're going to be using the player in a rack.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for finding out Andrew. That is a relief that it does work. I'm sure companies such as Phillips haven't had problems with internal antennas otherwise they wouldn't be developing products with them in. I'll get on to Panasonic about it and post their response on here.

TRENDING THREADS