Wife Friendly Home Cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
so, where to start. I had a Samsung TV wall mounted and placed a Sky HD box and PS3 on a cabinet next to the fireplace. Wanted to upgrade to full home cinema system but wife had KO'd for a while as not wanting boxes and cables everywhere. As I suspect most wife's are, she likes everything clean and tidy, so presented a challenge. Pic's below are how things were before changes:
IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

IMG_5221-1.jpg

So, settled on some Kef 2005.3 style surround speakers and a Denon 1910 amp. Thought best to take her to store to show her what the speakers looked like so 'no surprises'. Straight no at the store and I had given up at that point, but as leaving she spotted some B&W CM7's in piano black and thought they looked nice. Well, spotting the chance to jump a few classes in one go, ordered the following Kit ASAP: Yamaha Z7, B&W CM7's (front), B&W CM1's (rear), and B&W PV1. I wanted to get CM centre as well, but with the space limits and fire place, meant somewhat constrained, however local dealer had a deal on a B&W VM1 Centre so took that. A small trade off.

IMG_5297.jpg

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad155/jimvicks/hi-fi/IMG_5218.jpg

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
well done jim, looks great. Reminds me very much of my first home cinema about 9 -10 years ago. Had B&W CM fronts and centre with VM as rears,looked and sounded great through my Arcam Amp and DVD, with a tasty REL sub for some grunt!! Have moved and had 2 children , 3 Plasmas , and a low profile on the Home Cinema front since,...... However , just bought a Samsung 46" 3D TV and feel some front room changes coming full speed ahead, oh how i love hiding wires!!!

A

Anonymous

Well done jim, like the barcelona chair and footstool as well

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Love the CM series speakers. The room looks, great. Interesting seeing how people deal with the various compromises necessitated by significant others and less than ideal rooms.

Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Sorry to be negative, but your room highlights the problems with AV gear.

Before: nice, tidy, ample room, pleasant living space.

After: cramped, congested, ambience lost.

We had the same problem when I flirted briefly with home cinema. In the end I had to agree that living space/ambience was more important, so the home cinema went, and I'm not sorry.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Which way are the rear speakers pointing? Because it looks like they're pointing straight at the front ones, which is incorrect, with that speaking position they should be pointing straight at you.

A

Anonymous

yes your house looks clean and it all looks very nice, however, dude !!! your wife has the bedrooms, the dining area and the kitchen to decorate and play in, and she has the say in YOUR home cinema area, time to upgrade the misses !!! my misses is glad i let her watch my tv ha ha ha. sorry but im old skool.

A

Anonymous

TV is main issues, long term viewing gives a headache. tried turning down contrast, angling down, etc, not much helps. Guessing it may be a bit big / too high? going to try a different set I think.

It's a pain as the room is very long, just not wide, can't see from photos but is maybe 2 to 3 times longer. Each end has a large window which kind of prevents setting out the room a different way, so left with the narrow fit.

As for speaker positions, move around depending on what doing. So if watching that latest blu-ray and want best experience pull left front speaker out a little (although to be fair don't hear much difference) and angle rear speakers inwards. If masterchief, then kinda relaxed about the whole thing :)

A

Anonymous

ear - find the center VM works well with the CM7. That said, thinking of buying the CM centre and putting in the loft so if move then have in same finish / style.

I suppose to be expected, but the systems really comes to life when a musical is on (i.e Mamma Mia). Not that its a bad sound the rest of the time, quite the opposite in fact, just excels for musicals. Only problem is that i can't stand musicals at all, hate them.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
For the tv, try turning down the brightness and backlighting. That could solve some issues. Though I find samsung way to bright (they give me a headache when just watching them in a store for a few minutes) that's why I went for LG.

If you still own that little closet you used for the components (first pic), you might just try putting that in front of the window and put the tv on it. Re-arrange the speakers and sofa and check if itsn't alot more comfortable (if your wife can put up with it). Just shut the curtains behind the tv when watching tv. Sound quality will improve alot.

A

Anonymous

I really like your set up. and the custom shelf looks great. Would you not want to chase the tv cables into the wall. Is there a problem because of the fireplace? maybe some painted conduit running along the fireplace if it is as it really will finish it off.

A

Anonymous

lovley looking system
emotion-21.gif

i like the rack, did you make it yourself?

do you have any problems with the front speakers being so close to the walls, i used to have bowers & wilkins floorstanders and i found they needed to be a good 18"- 24" from any rear/side walls to get the best out of them, other wise they sounded boomy and i would need to bung them.

A

Anonymous

Nice tidy job , yes compromises have to be made so I'll pass on the layout.

Isn't that PV1 a work of art so beautifully engineered , I used to have one in black , but the white and chrome is stunning

enjoy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts