Why won't my Sky Q box connect to my projector?????

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
Ever since changing to a Sky Q box last year I've had nothing but trouble trying to do this. With the old box I just plugged it in with an HDMI cable and it worked. With this box it refuses to work, At least until I've mucked about for half an hour unplugging and plugging things in again, changing cables and turning things on and off. Then it suddenly springs to life with no explanation, and I can watch my movie. This happens every single time I want to sit down and watch a movie on it!

Last night I eventually got it to work. Tonight, having touched nothing apart from turning everything off, it's not working again! I've given up trying to watch anything and have resorted to coming here for help

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
Some pointers here which may help
Sky

Thanks, but that wasn't much help. While the cable I want to use is long (10 metres), the other one I tried is half the length, and it didn't make a jot of difference. And, as I say, it works fine sometimes, works with no issues with my BD player, and I'm not trying to run 4K or anything, only bog standard 1080P.

abacus

It’s possible that the output of your Sky box has a lower output than your other equipment, which means it will require a better cable for the same distance or a HDMI amplifier to be fitted.

As above try a very short cable if you can, as this will prove whether it is a cable problem or a box problem.

Bill

I've had 2 failed cables. I almost wanted to buy a 10m fibre-optic HDMI cable after that experience. But thankfully, the 3rd cable proved to be faultless and hasn't given me problems for 3 years. I didn't buy expensive cable, just a cheap but well made cable from Amazon (Ibra).

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
Best to speak to Sky in that case. Faulty box likely, assuming the firmware is up-to-date.
But then why would it work ok with the TV? I don't know what I'm supposed to tell Sky, because as far as they will probably be concerned it's working, because it's working with the TV.

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
Can you describe your setup in detail? Which projector? Which AV receiver? How is everything connected?

It's an Infocus IN80. It's not connected through the receiver (it doesn't have any HDMI ports). I've been running the HDMI lead directly from the Sky box to the projector.

I don't have a permanent system. I have to set it up every time I want to use the projector. Which, as I say, always worked fine with Sky HD, and works fine every time with the BD player. But just will not work with Sky Q....or least won't work until it suddenly, and inexplicably, decides to.

abacus

As bigboss says, however most equipment have auto settings but if you turn them on in the wrong order they can get confused, so set everything to auto and connect the cable then switch the projector on first, wait a few seconds for the projector to power up and then switch on the Sky box, hopefully this will sort out your problem.

Remember the IN80 is an old projector (Around 10-15yrs old and only HDMI 1.3) so careful matching will be vitally important.

Bill

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
What TV is it? A 4K TV by any chance? Just wondering if the Sky Q isn't switching the resolution automatically to 1080p when you switch.

Check the display resolution settings on Sky Q and change it to 1080p. Also try 1080i if p doesn't help.

It's a 1080p TV.

I changed it to 1080i and it didn't make a jot of difference.

As bigboss says, however most equipment have auto settings but if you turn them on in the wrong order they can get confused, so set everything to auto and connect the cable then switch the projector on first, wait a few seconds for the projector to power up and then switch on the Sky box, hopefully this will sort out your problem.

Remember the IN80 is an old projector (Around 10-15yrs old and only HDMI 1.3) so careful matching will be vitally important.

Bill
Why the hell should it matter what order I turn them on in?? How stupid. Why can't they just leave things alone?? When we had scart it just worked, now they have to keep changing things every 5 minutes so nothing works!! I tried putting the sat on first and all I got was a purple screen. Maybe I should just cancel Sky because it just does not work!!!!!

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
I plugged the TV back in, tuned on Sky so it was on the TV, the took the TV cable out and plugged in the projector and it's working. I should not have jump through these hoops just to get it to work!

Now I'm off to watch my movie at last.

TRENDING THREADS