Why records can sound worse at end of side...an explanation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Conversely, I have various inherrited records in my collection dating from the late 50s which have been played hundreds of times. Contemporary opinion suggests they should at the very least have lost all their HF content by now, yet a spectrum analysis shows they still have HF content to beyond 15kHz, which was probably the limit of the three-track Ampex tape recorder and the cutting head. They all still play significantly quiter with less pops and bangs and surface noise than a modern LP after half a dozen plays. We were better at making records then, for some reason.

Yes, but 1950s LP pressings/recordings were done by people who knew their craft and cared a stuff about it!

1970s recordings were often made by a bunch of stoned idiot friends of the band who were seeing three imaginary desks to every real one and then pressed onto thin, ‘Oil Crisis’ era, recycled vinyl! (A 1970s ‘Autobahn’ LP of mine had a small clump of what seemed like fur embedded in it once.)

Basically no-one cared back then except the classical labels.

1950s LPs = acceptable alternative to Chobham tank armour.

1970s LPs = good as novelty present wrapping because they fold and bend so easily.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
70's lps did not start getting thin until about 1977. I have many I bought around 73-76 they were fine, fairly heavyweight, yes things went downhill from about '77, just like the music. Quality got pretty bad I stopped buying it. My vinyl still plays well, even after it was in the loft for 20 years. Yes it wears old but I have never worn one out even after many 100s of plays. 70s vinyl is still proably better than most digital versions.

BigH said:
70's lps did not start getting thin until about 1977. I have many I bought around 73-76 they were fine, fairly heavyweight, yes things went downhill from about '77, just like the music. Quality got pretty bad I stopped buying it. My vinyl still plays well, even after it was in the loft for 20 years. Yes it wears old but I have never worn one out even after many 100s of plays. 70s vinyl is still proably better than most digital versions.
That has been my experience too, and was when most of mine were acquired. I like the idea of LPs for that era, but CD for the eighties onwards.

Last night, I played for the first time an LP called Sinatra’s Sinatra, with the Nelson Riddle band. It was a remake in stereo of his popular hits, and I think I’ve dated it correctly to 1963. I was given it as part of a collection from a friend who switched wholesale to CD in the late 80s, then died within a few years. There are some gems and some rubbish in the archive, but the Sinatra was lush, with no clicks, just the odd swish. It didn’t shine much, either, but most of them look mint. There are some rare early Decca and RCAs, so I’ve got lots to explore.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
Last night, I played for the first time an LP called Sinatra’s Sinatra, with the Nelson Riddle band. It was a remake in stereo of his popular hits, and I think I’ve dated it correctly to 1963.

I have the two CDs ... ‘Sinatra at the Sands’ ... and the matching CD ‘Live at The Sands (Before Frank)’ which is The Count Basie Orchestra performing on the same night just before their set with Sinatra begins. (Arranged by a certain Quincy Jones.)

They are an amazing pair of CDs and as infectious as cold sores in fresher’s year! (My 2009 copy of ‘Sinatra At the Sands’ scores well on the DR Database too.) Totally immersive and brilliantly recorded.

Sadly the Count Basie Orchestra half of the CD pairing seems to be out of stock right now (lucky me though) and there are only overpriced, poncey versions available.

chebby said:
nopiano said:
Last night, I played for the first time an LP called Sinatra’s Sinatra, with the Nelson Riddle band. It was a remake in stereo of his popular hits, and I think I’ve dated it correctly to 1963.

I have the two CDs ... ‘Sinatra at the Sands’ ... and the matching CD ‘Live at The Sands (Before Frank)’ which is The Count Basie Orchestra performing on the same night just before their set with Sinatra begins. (Arranged by a certain Quincy Jones.)

They are an amazing pair of CDs and as infectious as cold sores in fresher’s year! (My 2009 copy of ‘Sinatra At the Sands’ scores well on the DR Database too.) Totally immersive and brilliantly recorded.

Sadly the Count Basie Orchestra half of the CD pairing seems to be out of stock right now (lucky me though) and there are only overpriced, poncey versions available.
Thanks for the tip, chebby. I’ve ordered the first CD from music magpie for £2.30 inc postage. Not used them before and have seen recent threads!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
chebby said:
nopiano said:

Thanks for the tip, chebby. I’ve ordered the first CD from music magpie for £2.30 inc postage. Not used them before and have seen recent threads!

The only Frank Sinatra I play is "In the Wee Small Hours", scores quite well on DRDatabase.

I will give the "At the Sands" a go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts