STS Records Direct Metal Mastering

I have just got my first LP from STS Records, only had CD's before, and what can I say.....

Absolutely stunning.... cannot say I fully understand the Direct Metal Mastering and MW coding process involved but what clarity. Everything is just just so right and the recording quality is stunning.

If anyone is interested in the female vocal, jazz oriented, then do have a look at 'Blessed with your love' by Madeline Bell on this label. You'll not be disappointed.

There's even a nice photo of a Dr. Feickert Analog turntable on the sleeve.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I thought DMM had died a death. I've got The Best of Alan Parsons Project, from 1983, a DMM recording, but whether the originals were DMM, or just this album, I don't know. Must dig it out and have another listen, but it always sounded good.

I seem to recall that the music was recorded direct to a metal master, rather than wax, but unsure why it failed - maybe too expensive? Happy to be corrected, though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice. In its simplest terms, DMM records are cut straight to the metal plate which is used to make stampers / matrixes, instead of first being cut to a lacquer from which the metal plate is made. Less 'generations' between the orginal cut and the record you play can potentially have sonic benefits for obvious reasons.

Reijer said:
Thanks for the info about this kind of vinyl. I'm a starter with vinyl so every bit of information about mastering qualities is welcome.

Appreciate that, this is much like digital recording direct to DSD and it shows. Absolutely amazing detail although did have a few static pops down simply to me not cleaning vine as I normally would but playing it straight out of the package.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I didn't pick up on this

GeoffreyW said:
but unsure why it failed - maybe too expensive? Happy to be corrected, though.

If I remember correctly they had to use modified lathes and the process [of cutting] was more complex. Couple that with the fact it arrived when CDs were taking off and it was more or less dead in the water at launch. I do have one DMM record though, on Decca from about 1986, it always sounded great and had lower than normal levels of inner-groove distortion.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
DMM also sounds very similar to the recent MoFi One Step system, and if so will help explain the sonic improvements. I think you're spot on, Major, having stirred my memory bud. Perhaps technloogy has improved, and DMM or similar methods will prove cost effective. Can't see 3D printing of LPs catching on, though, unless the mp3 listeners like it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
Can't see 3D printing of LPs catching on, though, unless the mp3 listeners like it.

:) At the other end of the job, I thought we'd have seen clever apps by now which can play music from scanned records. It might be asking too much though seeing that regular scanners probably couldn't interpret vertical modulation, only horizontal.

MajorFubar said:
GeoffreyW said:
Can't see 3D printing of LPs catching on, though, unless the mp3 listeners like it.

:) At the other end of the job, I thought we'd have seen clever apps by now which can play music from scanned records. It might be asking too much though seeing that regular scanners probably couldn't interpret vertical modulation, only horizontal.

Shakey ground there Major. ;-)

Whatever, to my mind this LP is the 'nuts', when it comes to some I should have bolted from. ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why it's shaky ground..sure it wouldn't attract audiophiles, but it would definitely be useful, particularly with regards to preserving delicate rare recordings. The challenge would be getting a representative 3D scan of the grooves.

MajorFubar said:
Not sure why it's shaky ground..sure it wouldn't attract audiophiles, but it would definitely be useful, particularly with regards to preserving delicate rare recordings. The challenge would be getting a representative 3D scan of the grooves.

Sorry Major a poor joke on my part concerning lots of vertical modulation.

Anyone hopeful of copying a well modulated groove cut into a bit of vinyl is on a big loser in the first instance..... stick to CD.

TRENDING THREADS