Why no Harbeth review on WHF?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Harbeth also contended in the swedish magazine ´HiFi Musik´ together with two other BBC derivatives (previous issue) . Abroad Harbeth is high end.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Not quite. It is also having the best amplifier for the drivers, as in one suited to the tweeter and another to the woofer/midrange. Cabinet design and build, bracing and, of course, driver quality are just as important as they are for passive systems.

I asked the question re active speakers sounding the same because it seems to me the AVI brigade (can't think of a better word) seem to forget that, in fact, they can sound as different as passive ones do and only ever recommend one brand.

Why do you imagine that you know anything about AVI people. If you check, you will find that almost all the people who recommend AVI actually have AVI speakers or have at least heard them/want them.

What are people, who own AVI, supposed to recommend? Perhaps we should recommend something we have never heard rather than something we listen to day in day out. At least then we would put ourselves on the same footing as many AVI detractors.

You really need to stop posting such rubbish, it makes you look a complete fool.

As a matter of interest what hifi do you run yourself?

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
Why do you imagine that you know anything about AVI people. If you check, you will find that almost all the people who recommend AVI actually have AVI speakers or have at least heard them/want them.

What are people, who own AVI, supposed to recommend? Perhaps we should recommend something we have never heard rather than something we listen to day in day out. At least then we would put ourselves on the same footing as many AVI detractors.

You really need to stop posting such rubbish, it makes you look a complete fool.

Spoke too soon. Back to the playground we go.:wall:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Bodfish said:
chebby said:
Harbeth has been reviewed by What Hi-fi?

In their Russian edition.

(Page 75, January 2013)

Nice work Chebby. If only I had the space!

And DocG - back on topic? I'll give it another half hour :pray:

We were back on topic from 7:19 to 8:12 p.m. That's nearly one hour! :cheers:

BTW would you really prefer the 40.1 over the SHL5? I wouldn't... (Hey, we're on topic again!)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Bodfish said:
chebby said:
Harbeth has been reviewed by What Hi-fi?

In their Russian edition.

(Page 75, January 2013)

Nice work Chebby. If only I had the space!

And DocG - back on topic? I'll give it another half hour :pray:

We were back on topic from 7:19 to 8:12 p.m. That's nearly one hour! :cheers:

BTW would you really prefer the 40.1 over the SHL5? I wouldn't... (Hey, we're on topic again!)

Actually the topic was not 'all things harbeth' it was 'why isn't harbeth reviewed in WHF?' All the proper answers had come by reply number 6, so no wonder such a long thread has gone OT.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:

Have you only heard AVI speakers then? Stunned, mate!

Seriously, I think you'll find the vast majority of posters recommend speakers they've heard to suit the requirements of the questions asked. Some AVI owners do, to, but it seems others are too blinkered. Have you heard other actives and recommended them?

No secret what I own, just do a search. I've also recommended others I don't own but have heard where my particular brand isn't suited, for reasons you'll know when you find out what they are, including Dali, Neat, Harbeth etc.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
Active speakers will differ in sound. Of course they will, as speakers are the single most difficult part of the sound reproduction chain to get right, however differences will be less pronounced between monitors, as in general, they have all been engineered to be neutral, so the variations between such speakers will not be so pronounced as speakers that are designed to have colouration, ie hifi speakers in general. Some hifi speakers are designed to be neutral, as I suppose are the Kef LS50 (and I'm sure they're just fine BTW). Thus it can be said that monitors (ADM9s included) are generally neutral, or close too.

Again, AVI ADM9s are recommended so much because of the lack of anything else like them, as responses to my earlier question highlight. I would actually imagine that the LS50s would be quite a good alternative to the ADMs, but I've never heard them. The caveat with the LS50s would be that they would seem to need a fairly capable amplifier.

Under what definition of neutral is a frequency response that is -2dbs at 100hz and -6dbs at 60 hz neutral?

In my book that's not neutral. It's not even close to neutral. It's lean.

I don't think that AVI ADM9's are recommended so much because of the lack of anything like them. I think they're recommended so much because the marketing methods are similar to those used by Ivor Tiefenbrun for the Linn LP12 in the 1970's to 1980's. I'll start a new thread if anyone would like me to explain what I mean by that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
...the marketing methods are similar to those used by Ivor Tiefenbrun for the Linn LP12 in the 1970's to 1980's. I'll start a new thread if anyone would like me to explain what I mean by that.

I would need a lawyer if I were to say what I really felt about that episode in the history of British hi-fi. (Assuming the mods even left it in.)

I once witnessed vile behaviour (by a then very senior member of staff at a Glasgow based hi-fi company) towards two innocent customers, at a dealership he was visiting (and that I used to buy from), that caused me to switch dealers and never return. As a result I have never bought anything made by that company.

However, the 'very senior member of staff' is still active in the industry. (And is now an even more senior member of staff at another well-known UK based hi-fi company). So that is as far as I can go.

Suffice to say the episode encapsulated the bullying style of marketing - in force at the time - far more vivdly for me than the famous phrase coined at the time by another company very close to Linn ...

"If you can't hear the difference, it's not worth talking to you."

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'd like to know more details! (i) What you say hasn't identified them, (ii) if it really happened you can't get in trouble!

Trouble is Ben, when did truth have anything to do with civil action being taken? If it really happened and you have plenty of witnesses, that have a backbone, then you can't get in trouble; might be closer.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Overdose said:
Active speakers will differ in sound. Of course they will, as speakers are the single most difficult part of the sound reproduction chain to get right, however differences will be less pronounced between monitors, as in general, they have all been engineered to be neutral, so the variations between such speakers will not be so pronounced as speakers that are designed to have colouration, ie hifi speakers in general. Some hifi speakers are designed to be neutral, as I suppose are the Kef LS50 (and I'm sure they're just fine BTW). Thus it can be said that monitors (ADM9s included) are generally neutral, or close too.

Again, AVI ADM9s are recommended so much because of the lack of anything else like them, as responses to my earlier question highlight. I would actually imagine that the LS50s would be quite a good alternative to the ADMs, but I've never heard them. The caveat with the LS50s would be that they would seem to need a fairly capable amplifier.

Under what definition of neutral is a frequency response that is -2dbs at 100hz and -6dbs at 60 hz neutral?

I don't think that AVI ADM9's are recommended so much because of the lack of anything like them. I think they're recommended so much because the marketing methods are similar to those used by Ivor Tiefenbrun for the Linn LP12 in the 1970's to 1980's. I'll start a new thread if anyone would like me to explain what I mean by that.

I think you need to be a little more specific. What are you refering to exactly?

The ADMs are very much recommended because there are little or no alternatives at their price, they are also very good. That's my standpoint anyhow.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
Overdose said:

I think you need to be a little more specific. What are you refering to exactly?

The ADMs are very much recommended because there are little or no alternatives at their price, they are also very good. That's my standpoint anyhow.

The AMDs are recommended by a very small number of people very many times, that does not make them very much recommended.........

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
Overdose said:

The AMDs are recommended by a very small number of people very many times, that does not make them very much recommended.........

I suspect that you did not understand my last statement.

Rimse

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Craig M. said:
Rimse said:
Ok,thinking abaut passive vs active ,searching web and reading this thread,to my mind poped an idea-ACTIVE CROSSOVER.The Basic idea is- make active speakers from passive ones just adding active crossover and power amp to excisting system,dissconnecting passive crossover from drivers and connecting to it power amps which is connected to active crossover,crossover connected to preamp .Like in this picture.
Active-Crossover.jpg

There is a very detailed description of converting passive B&W 801 speakers to active HERE. I've heard these speakers and thought they were excellent.

Thanks for a link. Now I am obsessed with this idea :cheers:

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:

I was refering to the frequency response specifications given on the AVI website for the ADM9's. Speakers that you said were neutral or close to neutral. They might be close to neutral for you. For me they aren't. They are on the lean side of neutral.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Mac on this one. Back on topic. I have some P3ESR's and i love them!!! They look beautiful too (especilally in Rosewood).

I'm sure i saw an AVI or an active thread somewhere. Can you AVI owners bang on about how good they are on that thread and stop hijacking others...........its soooooo boring.

Cheers, Ed

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Overdose said:

I was refering to the frequency response specifications given on the AVI website for the ADM9's. Speakers that you said were neutral or close to neutral. They might be close to neutral for you. For me they aren't. They are on the lean side of neutral.

Ah I see. I suppose you would need the see the whole graph to get the full picture, rather than pick a single frequency?

Is the -6dB figure not for the woofer alone and the -3 dB figure for the tweeter extension alone anyway?

What about the total system amplitude response of better than +/- 2 dB 100Hz to 20KHz?

That seems pretty good to me and S.O.S (and others) seem to think so also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts