Why no Harbeth review on WHF?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
I'm with Mac on this one. Back on topic. I have some P3ESR's and i love them!!!

Cheers, Ed

That is not what the topic was about. As already stated earlier in the thread, the topic was more or less exhausted after 6 posts.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
Ah I see. I suppose you would need the see the whole graph to get the full picture, rather than pick a single frequency?

Is the -6dB figure not for the woofer alone and the -3 dB figure for the tweeter extension alone anyway?

What about the total system amplitude response of better than +/- 2 dB 100Hz to 20KHz?

That seems pretty good to me and S.O.S (and others) seem to think so also.

I think it would be interesting to see an independently measured frequency response curve for all AVI speakers. Preferably made by someone that's published measurements of lots of other speakers with the same methods to give references to compare them against.

In the absence of these, we can of course use our ears to decide how tonally neutral the AVI ADM9's are. To your ears they might seem neutral. To mine they don't.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
pauln said:
BTW, have been reading a lot of AS on the HUG - he is the god of common sense! I'll be off to Doug Brady to audition some P3ESR's soon as.

How did you get on by the way?

Sh}t, I only posted that Monday evening! Give me a chance.

Anyway, I have been looking recently at going for some decent headphones (HD 650 or HE-400 anyone?) because I spend half my life away from home, rather than new speakers.

The problem for me, as it is for most people for whom hifi is not an obssession, is how to spend ones limited amount of disposable income. For instance, I had to spend a grand on a new set of tyres last week. Does the money go on a car/holiday/decorating/furniture/kids etc. etc. The chances are I won't be getting new speakers until the old ones die or, in the words of Bodfish, they suffer "sudden catastrophic failure".

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
That too.

Amazing how an iPad will screw up your sentences and words with predictive text, but when you spell something wrong it doesn't offer the correct spelling!

Yep, I blame the computer too :grin:

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Oddly enough, I believe while Harbeths haven't been reviewed much in the UK hifi press, the P3ESR and new Monitor 30.1 have received favorable reviews in the US magazine Stereophile recently.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Oddly enough, I believe while Harbeths haven't been reviewed much in the UK hifi press, the P3ESR and new Monitor 30.1 have received favorable reviews in the US magazine Stereophile recently.

Yes good review if you don't want bass.

The Epos Epic 2 also get an excellent review, why have not WHF reviewed them either?

Have read several more reviews in Stereophile, do all speakers get a good review?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
In the absence of these, we can of course use our ears to decide how tonally neutral the AVI ADM9's are. To your ears they might seem neutral. To mine they don't.

I imagine that they're a bit different to what you are used to.

If your ears tell you that they are not neutral, as far as any monitor of this type can be, then graphs are not going to help you hear any different.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Singslinger said:

Yes good review if you don't want bass.

The Epos Epic 2 also get an excellent review, why have not WHF reviewed them either?

Have read several more reviews in Stereophile, do all speakers get a good review?

Not all, though like most other mags the writers tend to be quite diplomatic when they don't like what they hear.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Singslinger said:

Not all, though like most other mags the writers tend to be quite diplomatic when they don't like what they hear.[/quote]

No I'm sure that is not the case but every British speaker I looked at seemed to get good reviews (B&W, Spendor, Kef, Linn, Epos, Harbeth) maybe they are basis towards British speakers, haha.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts