Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Simple. Its not popular
smiley-laughing.gif

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
There are some gaps in the WHF reviews,No Audiolab integrated amp., No MF, No Creek, lots of Cyrus. OK they can't test everything and the Harbeths are fairly expensive. Seem to rely mostly on manufacturers spending in gear to test, otherwise they have to buy and then sell which will cost more money.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the recent [ongoing] challenge laid down by the owner of Harbeth?

The one that challenges the notion that amplifiers differ to such an extent that they are clearly audible. Prize for the challenge is a rather nice pair of speakers, I believe. I think they remain unclaimed.

:?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
There are some gaps in the WHF reviews,No Audiolab integrated amp., No MF, No Creek, lots of Cyrus. OK they can't test everything and the Harbeths are fairly expensive. Seem to rely mostly on manufacturers spending in gear to test, otherwise they have to buy and then sell which will cost more money.

Some good points there, but apart from the M40's Harbeth are pretty reasonably priced, certainly no more expensive than a lot of other of similar calabre.

WHF does tend to review what on the whole, appeals to the masses and Harbeth is more of a niche product...don't know what they're missing.

Mac

BigH said:

MF Dacs here: http://www.whathifi.com/search/apachesolr_search/?filters=tid%3A1182%20type%3Ahcmproduct%20tid%3A674&solrsort=created%20desc

MF amps: http://www.whathifi.com/review/musical-fidelity-x-t100-triple-x-psu and http://www.whathifi.com/review/musical-fidelity-x-ray-v8-x-dac-v8

Creek: http://www.whathifi.com/creek

Should also find Audiolab amp 8200, which received 4 stars.

They can only test if a manufacturer gives them a test example.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
They sell to a mostly international clientele (they won't be found in many UK hi-fi outlets) and I doubt they'd need a WHF? review.

The manufacturer needs to send a review sample to get a review. I assume Harbeth haven't sent any.

Harbeth speakers have been reviewed elsewhere and can be found online if you look. (Stereophile for sure.)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
BigH said:

Some good points there, but apart from the M40's Harbeth are pretty reasonably priced, certainly no more expensive than a lot of other of similar calabre.

WHF does tend to review what on the whole, appeals to the masses and Harbeth is more of a niche product...don't know what they're missing.

Mac

Sorry I only came across the more expensive ones like the Harbeth p3esr. Yes would like to see a review or 2 but some man. don't like to send their gear in.

As for balance I would like to see more £500-£1,000 int. amps, why every Cyrus one but no Audiolab, No MF, hear there is a Creek soon, Arcam has just been reviewed.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
I wonder if it could have anything to do with the recent [ongoing] challenge laid down by the owner of Harbeth?

The one that challenges the notion that amplifiers differ to such an extent that they are clearly audible. Prize for the challenge is a rather nice pair of speakers, I believe. I think they remain unclaimed.

The challenge stopped a while ago. There were no takers, which says a lot about the audiophile world.

altruistic.lemon said:
relocated said:

There were no takers, which says a lot about the audiophile world.

No, it says alot about Harbeth's distribution and consequent lack of sales, allied to the current market.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
altruistic.lemon said:
relocated said:

No, it says alot about Harbeth's distribution and consequent lack of sales, allied to the current market.

How do you know this PP? Extremely popular in the far east and the States.

Mac

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
BigH said:

Mac

Naim is also a niche product, yet they seem to have a glowing reviews everywhere.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
krolikgena said:
Macspur said:
BigH said:

Mac

Naim is also a niche product, yet they seem to have a glowing reviews everywhere.

Sorry, I disagree, Naim is a mass marketed, all be it pretty high end, product that is widely available on the high street.

Mac

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
krolikgena said:
Macspur said:
BigH said:

Mac

Sorry, I disagree, Naim is a widely available highly marketed product on a par with Cyrus.

Mac

Naim were a niche product before all this digital/streamig thing.. they always stood apart from the rest of the hi-fi world with it's own army of true fans. all this Flat Earth, PraT.. etc. once u mention that u have a naim people always react the same way. they are club by it's own margin. sure, they have to compete with others in order to survive in modern times so they appeal for the masses with tons of more affordable and easy solutions.

I just don't get why it's easier for Harbeth send a samples to 6moons and Stereophile, rather than to WHF or Techradar. All in all this is as British looking and sounding speakers as you can get. i don't believe that they are more popular overseas than in UK.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
altruistic.lemon said:
relocated said:

What lack of sales? Why do you think that?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
krolikgena said:
Macspur said:
krolikgena said:
Macspur said:
BigH said:

Mac

Sorry, I disagree, Naim is a widely available highly marketed product on a par with Cyrus.

Mac

Naim were a niche product before all this digital/streamig thing.. they always stood apart from the rest of the hi-fi world with it's own army of true fans. all this Flat Earth, PraT.. etc. once u mention that u have a naim people always react the same way. they are club by it's own margin. sure, they have to compete with others in order to survive in modern times so they appeal for the masses with tons of more affordable and easy solutions.

I just don't get why it's easier for Harbeth send a samples to 6moons and Stereophile, rather than to WHF or Techradar. All in all this is as British looking and sounding speakers as you can get. i don't believe that they are more popular overseas than in UK.

Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not knocking Naim. I think they are a terrific Company producing stunning equipment for all levels of affordability and they may well have, like a lot of others, started out as a niche product, but they aren't now.

You may well be right about Harbeth's popularity in the UK, but from what I've read on their own forum and by talking to people, the impression is that they are far more popular abroad... I wish it weren't so, as they are a superb loudspeaker... think it may come down to aesthetics in the end.

Mac

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
altruistic.lemon said:
relocated said:

I suppose you have the sales figures to hand? or are you just making it up?

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I read that a lot of Naim owners use Harbeth speakers, very good pairing it seems.

I may audition some if ever I decide to change my Spendors................

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Thanks. Not your normal sort of dealer, very limited range of gear.

Depends what you call 'normal'. They support 20 manufacturers and they're not the commonest but they're very good and I bet you could set up some cracking combos and make some good comparisons (ATC v PMC v Harbeth would be fun).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
BigH said:

Depends what you call 'normal'. They support 20 manufacturers and they're not the commonest but they're very good and I bet you could set up some cracking combos and make some good comparisons (ATC v PMC v Harbeth would be fun).

Maybe but what cd player Naim or Rega? No Marantz, Musical Fid, Audiolab, Arcam etc.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Not sure about sales in UK but they certainly don't seem very common, I would like to hear them but no dealers seem to stock them in Essex.

Radlett Audio near Safron Waldon are the closest to Essex for Harbeth speakers, I was only talking to Dave Wren the proprietor a couple of weeks ago about them.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
BenLaw said:
BigH said:

Maybe but what cd player Naim or Rega? No Marantz, Musical Fid, Audiolab, Arcam etc.

You are moving into a different league and thinking and presentation, with Harbeth, for starters its home audition, not mass market, there will be an element of sophistication, all very laid back way of doing things. Mass market and marketing, does not fit well in this sanario.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts