Why no DacMagic reports yet?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
One of the most prevalent recommendations on this forum for months now has been for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

I cannot believe none of you have got one yet, so why the shyness?

John Duncan has one but his hi-fi is in storage (I think) but someone here must have one and be using it. CA have been shipping for some time now and Richer Sounds are selling them. The magazine reviews were 2 months ago.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There where numerous threads not so long ago chebby. Perhaps everyone just got a little bit jaded by it all. Good little thing for the money that DM.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:One of the most prevalent recommendations on this forum for months now has been for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

I cannot believe none of you have got one yet, so why the shyness?

John Duncan has one but his hi-fi is in storage (I think) but someone here must have one and be using it. CA have been shipping for some time now and Richer Sounds are selling them. The magazine reviews were 2 months ago.

I thought you were being sarcastic for a minute! I was one of the first owners in the UK I think! I badgered RS for weeks before they got the DM in and I had one delivered the day before they hit the shops! I've written a few things on here. It's a fantastic bit of kit. Will blow any cd player away up to at least the £500 mark with lossless files - mine is supplied by a Linksys Media Center Extender. I also use my bluray player as transport with very good results. However, I have now ripped 60% of my cds to my pc and have not played a cd for about three weeks as the sound from the lossless files is so good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.

I am still awaiting delivery of my Firestone Audio FUBAR II USB DAC patiently (not!). Russ Andrews' distributor have emailed me saying they will investigate (more than likely stuck in bl###y HM Customs) so I am sympathetic to people who have to wait for this stuff.

I too am ripping lots of tracks from my CDs in Apple Lossless and arranging them/downloading cover artwork etc and I am also buying a fair number of 256k iTunes+ versions of tracks that I love (Billy Bragg and Kinks so far today) in anticipation of the DAC being delivered soon (I hope).

When the Fubar II USB DAC arrives - eventually - I will attempt a write-up on it here.

I am interested in seeing user reviews of the CA DacMagic because that is one likely candidate for a DAC upgrade later next year. The Chordette Gem is another. (Walk before I can run, my laptop has no optical output and I traditionally have no spare hifi money from around this time of year until early Feb because of this Christmas nonsense!)

A

Anonymous

In case you didn't already know chebby, might I suggest this as a higher quality alternative to itunes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:In case you didn't already know chebby, might I suggest this as a higher quality alternative to itunes.

Thanks. Can I move tracks from that site to iTunes in AAC after download? All of us in this house know and like iTunes and love the user interface. I even managed to move some Linn Records classical downloads onto iTunes in AIFF at 16 bit 48khz and 1536kbps (although I have kept the WMA original at 24bit/96khz just in case.)

A

Anonymous

They are 320kbps mp3 so just import them into itunes. HIgh quality download sites are so few and far between I feel like crying. I've been toying with the idea of the Linn site for a while, I'm sure there's no need to question that the files are fantastic?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes they sounded great at 24/96 when I moved some classical music files to a USB memory stick and plugged that into the front USB port on my Arcam Solo-Mini in WMA format. (Solo-Mini USB port only 'talks' WMA).

I think I was the first person ever to turn up with a memory stick as well as CDs and an iPod (with lossless tracks) at my local Audio-T for the Solo-Mini demo. (Their demographic are normally the usual over 60s Naim customers.)

John Duncan

chebby:John Duncan has one but his hi-fi is in storage (I think)

Yup, here's how the house is looking tonight:

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:

I see you're using the good ol' mighty mouse there John, ever thought about a graphics tablet? Easier to use, better functionality, easier photo editing, integrated with Photoshop, better for your bones, has an air of swankiness, stops others messing with precious computer. You can't go wrong.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Or even just a better mouse? I replaced the Mighty Mouse with a Logitech VX Nano wireless mouse which is so much easier on the hand.

The Apple MM was heavy, scratchy, ate batteries, and needed too much force to click. It's little rubber tracker ball was a travesty.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Who is that, btw?

Crystal meth addict. Sad really, where's the help?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
spiral.jpg

A representation of my flat tonight.

You have 12 women in it? Is the wife out?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

osborne.jpg

Do you see that woman at the back of the television theatre?

Do you mean right at the very, very back wall of the entire studio?

Yes, from here she is a barely distinguishable speck.

I can just, just make her out.

That's your currency that is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts