Why does my system sound like ass?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:
TrevC said:
Cypher said:
My advice ; sell the B&W speakers.

Buy some Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zensor 3 speakers (don't know if these are out already). The Boston Acoustics A26 are great too.

I think your system will improve a lot.

Lousy advice, the B&Ws are fab.

The B&W's are old. Speakers have improved a lot since then.

But it's weird to state that the system will improve a lot, with a pair of speakers of which you don't know if they are out already. Not likely you heard them yourself, right?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[/quote]

But it's weird to state that the system will improve a lot, with a pair of speakers of which you don't know if they are out already. Not likely you heard them yourself, right?

[/quote]

No, but I'm familiar with Zensor 1 and Zensor 5 speakers........the Zensor 3 will have the same characteristics I think.

But my advice was indeed a bit lousy because I just read that his music sounded fine......should have read that before I responded :oops:

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Poor bloke comes along with a relatively striaghtforward issue and everyone queues up to slate his kit and tell him to buy something else!

It's pretty common to have problems like this watching films via a stereo setup where voices are quiet but everything else is too loud.

Not sure if it will work with netflix but maybe try the free program AC3filter which has various options to downmix.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
...It's pretty common to have problems like this watching films via a stereo setup where voices are quiet but everything else is too loud...

I was chatting to someone else on another forum about this just the other day actually.

One option is to use an AV receiver even if you only have two speakers. An AV receiver can be set up to have a 'phantom' centre speaker. Once this is done you can alter the volume of the phantom centre speaker separately to the rest of of the speakers just like you could if you were using a real centre speaker. Basically what this means is that you can adjust the volume of the dialogue independently to the rest of the sound.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Excellent, i have a fat boy slim album buried in my flat somewhere, sadly not with that song, must find it soon i think and have a listen. ;)

Here are two Spotify playlists containing all of my favourite Fatboy songs if you're interested.

Fatboy Slim compilation - Fatboy Slim

You've Come a Long Way, Baby (full album) - Fatboy Slim Youve Come a Long Way

(Apologies for the thread drift. :) )

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
MakkaPakka said:
...It's pretty common to have problems like this watching films via a stereo setup where voices are quiet but everything else is too loud...

I was chatting to someone else on another forum about this just the other day actually.

One option is to use an AV receiver even if you only have two speakers. An AV receiver can be set up to have a 'phantom' centre speaker. Once this is done you can alter the volume of the phantom centre speaker separately to the rest of of the speakers just like you could if you were using a real centre speaker. Basically what this means is that you can adjust the volume of the dialogue independently to the rest of the sound.
Bloody hell, didn't know that ,

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Just got a speaker stand.... wow, major difference

Also I had tone defeat button pushed, that was ******* **** up...

its under control now :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
Poor bloke comes along with a relatively striaghtforward issue and everyone queues up to slate his kit and tell him to buy something else!

Err, NOT everyone, the resident a-hole told him to check his settings and I'd like some GOD DAMNED ******* RECOGNITION OF THAT! Or a biscuit, a biscuit would be good right now...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
MakkaPakka said:

Err, NOT everyone, the resident a-hole told him to check his settings and I'd like some GOD DAMNED ******* RECOGNITION OF THAT! Or a biscuit, a biscuit would be good right now...

I acknowledge and respect your talent for lateral thinking and also your general greatness and intelligence in this thread. You have my permission to help yourself to the biscuit tin.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The_Lhc said:
MakkaPakka said:

I acknowledge and respect your talent for lateral thinking and also your general greatness and intelligence in this thread.

'Bout time too...

You have my permission to help yourself to the biscuit tin.

It's empty. What good is an empty biscuit tin? It's just a TIN!!!

Paul.

There must surely be a market for Graze boxes, but full of biscuits instead of rabbit food. I'd love some Fox's chunky cookies and mayby some vianeese fingers to show up in the post.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I had some boasters last week the only problem is you can't dunk them which makes them totally inappropriate.
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts