Why does my system sound like ass?

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
So for music it sounds fine....

But when I play movies..... via netflix? Jesus, i have to unhook my speakers and run it direct to tv, because there is too much bass in voice, and voices sound, i dont koow.... faded / blurry....

My system

Apple tv, netflix streaming mostly

channel island vda 2 dac

NAD 320bee amp

B&W 602's

Any ideas?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
NAD have always been a little on the warm side, and the 602s are quite a warm, bassy speaker. 'Warm' means midrange and treble detail is being smothered.

The easiest solution is to use the bass tone control and turn that down until things improve. This is assuming your speakers are properly placed - too near to the back wall and bass will be exaggerated with the same effect as the above.

Also, what speaker stands are you using? You need a good sturdy stands for the 602s, and make sure any spikes are not loose.

If things are still sounding iffy, you could get hold of some foam pieces of different densities (nothing too dense) and make bungs to plug the front ports of the 602s. You don't want to use anything too dense as they'll rob the life out of your speakers, but something lighter that will allow some air through so that your just gently slowing the air flow.

Sorry, I can't comment on your DAC.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
If things are still sounding iffy, you could get hold of some foam pieces of different densities (nothing too dense) and make bungs to plug the front ports of the 602s. You don't want to use anything too dense as they'll rob the life out of your speakers, but something lighter that will allow some air through so that your just gently slowing the air flow.

You can start with a pair of clean socks. :)

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
My advice ; sell the B&W speakers.

Buy some Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zensor 3 speakers (don't know if these are out already). The Boston Acoustics A26 are great too.

I think your system will improve a lot.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
morrillt said:
So for music it sounds fine....

But when I play movies..... via netflix? Jesus, i have to unhook my speakers and run it direct to tv, because there is too much bass in voice, and voices sound, i dont koow.... faded / blurry....

My system

Apple tv, netflix streaming mostly

channel island vda 2 dac

NAD 320bee amp

B&W 602's

Any ideas?

Is your Apple TV outputting 5.1 audio when watching films? I don't know if this is technically possible but it sounds like when watching movies you're only getting the front L+R channels of a 5.1 soundtrack, so you're missing the centre channel which is where most of the dialogue would be found. Have a look in the Apple TV audio settings and see if there's an option to set it to stereo (I know nothing about the Apple TV btw, so I don't know if this is even possible).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:

Buy some Q Acoustics 2020i or Dali Zensor 3 speakers (don't know if these are out already). The Boston Acoustics A26 are great too.

:puzzled:

John Duncan

I'm presuming it's one of the older silver Apple TVs, and it's plugged in via the stereo RCAs on the back? If this is the case if be surprised if its a down mixing issue, unless it stupidly doesn't convert automatically, and the Netflix app has its own conversion settings which are overriding the @TV's.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
What's you internet connection like?

I thought Netflix lowered quality of audio bitrates and video quality to the bandwidth to prevent stop/start video.

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow lots of answers here.

Let me add a couple of pieces of info. I bought all the parts in 2006, andI left them at my parents house for a year. When I came back to my parents house I noticed that the amp had been left ON for 1 continuous year. Not sure if that may have messed things up?

I have downloaded videos that just dont sound "right" so I dont think its the netflix connection. Its really frrustrating to have friends come over listen to my high end stereo, and have everyone during the movie saying things like I cant hear anything :( when the actor has the mic right in front of his face things sound good (still though sounds like some frequency are getting converted to too much bass,, everyone sounds super throaty), but anytime someone is speaking non loudly, its like everyone has to strain, and the ambian noise in the movie seems to be taking center stage.... maybe its the DAC?

I am wondering if my amp somehow got something messed up by the 1 yr ON? Is the VDA2 really bad for movies? Still not sure..... Did my speakers bust something at high altitude on the plane? Not sure what to do, I am going to go listen critically today, and make sure that music still sounds good....

I am going to play with the speakers, they are right now on floor, and close to wall, how much from behind wall should they be. I was playing with putting them on my ikea style cabinet. What should I look for in speaker stands / placement?

I have been turning the bass down, trebble up, but its still wonky...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
morrillt said:
Its really frrustrating to have friends come over listen to my high end stereo

If it's any consolation, your stereo is far from high end. It's a budget set up really, but it still shouldn't sound like that. From your description it sounds as if somehow the 5.1 mix is coming through without it being downmixed properly to two channels. I suspect that this is an issue with the source rather than your DAC. If it sounded like ass with music too, then I'd suspect an issue with the amp/speakers. Putting the speakers on stands and getting the tweeter to ear level will make your stereo sound better, but I doubt that it will fix the issue you are having.

TrevC

Cypher said:

Lousy advice, the B&Ws are fab.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it is Netflix that sounds like ass?!

If the OP likes the sound of his stereo with music, there is no need to change the set up he has!

Def look into the output settings as mentioned and if that doesn't work, try being a bit more old school and watch blue rays!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
Cypher said:

Lousy advice, the B&Ws are fab.

The B&W's are old. Speakers have improved a lot since then.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
...From your description it sounds as if somehow the 5.1 mix is coming through without it being downmixed properly to two channels.

This sounds like it may be the problem. Your description of the sound seems like you are playing 5.1 but you are only hearing the front left and right channels and losing all of the sound that would go to the center and rear channels. As most of the dialogue usually goes to the center channel if you lost this the overall sound would be pretty screwed up like you describe.

Have you had a look at the audio settings to make sure it's set to stereo rather than 5.1? I haven't ever used Apple TV myself so I'm not sure of the details of how these settings can be checked. Maybe someone who uses ATV could help?

T

the record spot

p_m_brown said:
Maybe it is Netflix that sounds like ass?!

Doubt it - I use Netflix a lot and the sound quality off that is excellent IMO. Very impressed with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts