Why do some people (us?) care so much about the quality of sound reproduction?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Maybe I can use myself as an example of why most dyslexics cannot play an instrument to their own satisfaction.

As a dyslexic I have a very short 'short term' memory. Everything I read or hear (in words at least) gets processed immediately into meaning, to the extent that I generally cannot repeat verbatim what I have just heard or read, though I can say it in other words.

So, when it comes to reading a music score, I can play the note I am currently reading, but I cannot read ahead and play the notes I have just read, because they are no longer in my 'short term' memory.

I am not musical enough to play 'by ear', so I am rather scuppered as far as making music is concerned. However, I do enjoy listening to it (and the HiFi is simply a means to an end, by the way.)

PS I am no longer embarassed by my dyslexia. I live with it, as do two of my children similarly affected. It was difficult when younger, appearing to be dumb and having difficulty reading, especially when I didn't know why.

Andrew

People who understand . . . what a refreshing change, sadly, personal experience is involved? . . . Its always those that dont understand, they keep niggling away, trying to make you feel small and inferior. Those, small, inferior feelings, are long gone, although the frustration which breeds depresion still has its effect on occasions, then one simply shuts up shop, which has the effect of being labelled as a miserable uncommunicative beggar!

Ah well, as I say pull the draw bridge for a few days, perhaps they will go away, it aint going to stop me listening to music, or having 'my view' . . . I might be a bit more careful how I follow up on something that questions my view? Dyslexics tend to see things very black and white on occasions, in my case because I often see issues from a different perspective and the solution is clear . . . to me from that angle?

Ah well, I've had an enjoyable afternoon in the garden, bean poles up, beans are in, plus a few flowers for Hazel to enjoy. Then after my shower, I made a cheese and bacon coleslaw to go with tonights porkpie salad . . . makes the world seem a lot better place . . . looking forward to the Horlicks hour tonight.

:cheers: and a couple of these with the meal.

CJSF

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
As a genuine music lover, I find my interest in HiFi more of an annoyance than anything else. There was a time when a 15 year old me would be happy blasting out a 128kbps MP3 through some ipod headphones. Now though, I'm begininng to find more and more systems almost unpleasant to listen to. Don't get me wrong, if it's the choice between the dredded white 'phones and no music at all, I'd pick the music. My quest for better and better sound quality has made me dismiss previously rather liked albums, simply because te recoding is rubbish. (As a 19 year old a fair proportion of my music is created in the "loudness war" period).

I got into HiFi because I like technology and I like music. Now? my musical repertiore has been restricted somewhat.

John Duncan

bigboss said:
Alec said:
The_Lhc said:
Well, I'm just sorry I bothered to show an interest, rest assured I won't be doing it again.

This is a relief. Maybe just do your own research. Google is your friend.

Errr....that's a tad unfair on The_Lhc, with people ganging up against him when he obviously meant no malice. :shame:

I couldn't see anything in this thread he deserved to be accused of.

+0.67

Move on gents...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think you need to reread BB. Some of the attitude has been crass ,insensitive with attempts to cyberbully an answer when a simple "oh I see ,ok " response followed by some private research would have done .No change really.

Edit = 0.33

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
bigboss said:
I think you need to reread BB. Some of the attitude has been crass ,insensitive with attempts to cyberbully an answer when a simple "oh I see ,ok " response followed by some private research would have done .No change really.

Edit = 0.33

Well, The_Lhc likes pathologically to prove his own intellectual superiority. It doesn't look good when that sort of attempt is made against someone like CJSF.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It was originally purely all about the music, but then when I heard some of my favorite music on a better stereo it blew me away. So much more atmosphere, life and detail. It became a way of getting the most out of something I already liked. Since then it has also developed into a love of some of the design and technology as well, but it is still about how good can I get my music to sound? Can I squeeze some more enjoyment/appreciation out of this?

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
For me its all about the music, and getting it to sound how i want. Thats not to say i want it to sound life like or as the musicians intended, but making it so it entertains me. So that it gets me involved emotionally

As for Hi Fi the hobby i hate it. I hate the fact that when im tempted, and im always tempted, by a new piece of kit that im gonna have to go through that A-B comparison again, trying to work out which is better (item A sounds great with that CD but item B sounds great with CD) oh which one to choose. :doh:

I hate the tweaking of my speakers, 1cm this way 1cm that way, what about 2cm the other way. Now im totally confused :wall:

I hate the fact that when i look at the back of the rack all those cables are laughing at me, tidy, we are anarchists they shout.

But lets face it there's a reason why high end gear is designed the way it is and thats cause its sexy. Ive never heard real high end gear in my home and probably never will, but by god id love some of it sat on a rack in front of me. Whats that about :?

I also hate the technology, the fact that one piece of kit does A+B, another does A+C and another does C+B. Yet as soon as you buy, someone the very next week brings out the item you wanted all along that does A+B+C arrgh

Right wheres my bottle of scotch :)

matthewpiano

In my opnion, when the hi-fi stops you listening to music you love because of poor recording quality, I feel it has gone too far. I am interested in the technology, but it has to facilitate enjoyment of all the music I listen to. Otherwise it just doesn't fulfil its role properly.

Foxman50, I agree with much of what you say. I have enjoyed the hobby of hi-fi for many years but I've grown tired of it and I'm all box-swapped out. I'm looking at it from a different perspective now. I believe you can now get fantastic sound for relatively budget money and, more importantly, with the features that facilitate exploration and enjoyment of all music and this is now my main pursuit.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's much logic to it at all. Some say that musicians aren't interested in HiFi - this is a rather daft blanket statement. Other's have mused that the more spent on HiFi & the poorer the musical taste -again a sweeping generalisation bourne of opinion than much else.

Some people who are "well off" spend more than average on all of their interests whereas others with similar wealth will buy "lifestsyle" systems. We may openly or otherwise feel anything from indifference through amusement to condemnation. I fell out with a friend who had "limited finances" who spent ~£5k on his stereo without consulting his wife after I suggested he had been very selfish. We are friends again & he is single!

As for caring about SQ, one can be poor & still appreciate it - I wish that more so-called professionals cared about it but many recordings of the music I love demonstrate that many are completely clueless. I don't choose music for its SQ but I sure as hell prefer it when it's well or even just adequately recorded.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit that ive purchased music purley on the grounds of sound quality, recommended by a friend or review say. I also believe that as a sytem improves it opens up a much broader range of music to the listener. Or maybe thats to do with getting older :?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've just gone back & read all of this thread where the incidental comments have been very thought provoking to me & probably to many others. We humans are all far from perfect & perhaps those very imperfections also define us.

Someone close to me has Aspergers that doesn't always bring out the best in me but has had me realising that there is no threshhold between being "normal" & disadvantaged in some way. I suffered from depression for a good few months that had me searching for a cause. I did some research & convinced myself that I had BPD (Borderline Personaity Disorder). The depression evenually lifted & what doesn't kill you makes you stronger holds true. We all unintentionally hurt others & have been on the receiving end. Music as well as time is a great healer!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
I've just gone back & read all of this thread where the incidental comments have been very thought provoking to me & probably to many others. We humans are all far from perfect & perhaps those very imperfections also define us.

Someone close to me has Aspergers that doesn't always bring out the best in me but has had me realising that there is no threshhold between being "normal" & disadvantaged in some way. I suffered from depression for a good few months that had me searching for a cause. I did some research & convinced myself that I had BPD (Borderline Personaity Disorder). The depression evenually lifted & what doesn't kill you makes you stronger holds true. We all unintentionally hurt others & have been on the receiving end. Music as well as time is a great healer!

How right you are 'busb' . . . I've immersed myself in classical music all afternoon on Spotify, with a little volume! . . . what a wonderful experience it has been. Needed to sort the wheat from the chaff, but in general, it has been an uplifting few hours, certainly lifted my 'down feelings'.

See my post: 'Recommended Spotify Listening'

CJSF

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Music is a very big passion in my life. I listen to it all day long and anything that makes it sound better gets a big thumbs up from me. When getting ready for work in the morning I listen to music on my AVI Neutrons. When I walk to and from work I listen to music my Walkman. When I get to work I plug a battery powered speaker into my Walkman and get to play DJ to everyone in the office for 7 hours a day. When I get home I listen to music on my Neutrons for about 1 hour while doing stuff on the internet.

For me the equiptment is just a means of listening to music with as much clarity as possible. But I also find the equiptment itself very interesting too. I like all things technological from cars, bikes, planes, computers, telescopes, spacecraft and much more. I suspect my interest in hifi equiptment is just an extension of this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts