Why do some people (us?) care so much about the quality of sound reproduction?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Because with quality reproduction there is more drama in the music.

Take two deliberatley 'extreme' cases as an example - play a complex classical piece wigh large dynamic range variations on a kitchen ipod speaker dock and play it on ATC SMC 50 A with C4 sub and it is very clear why.

Both can be enjoyable but the first one conveys just the melody while the second one is closer in drama and scale to the real thing.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Nope, it's not all about the music. There is enjoyment to be had from the gear as well.

It's the same in other fields. Working in a golf shop, I'd see the same faces in the shop every Saturday. They'd gab away about the new gear coming out, see what juicy equipment gossip we had, then head on to the next shop. They'd spend a fair bit of money from time to time too. I'd see them on related forums every night.

But if you asked them how they were playing: "Oh, I haven't played for ages... no time". :doh:

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Plenty of music lovers have no interest in Hifi, so it's not just a love of music. Is it?
Its certainly not a love for music kinda thing. But good recordings bring out the best in your hi-fi so you naturally care about the recording of the song. I personally hate it when a song I really like has a bad recording, I end up listening to it in my car and not my hi-fi. The hi-fi is reserved for purer stuff, for me at least. I love music, I've played the guitar for more than half of my life. I also love hi-fi, the first thing I do after work is go home and play some songs before I do anything else. That doesn't mean that my love for music and my love for hi-fi coincide all the time, like I said I do not play rubbish sounding recordings on my hi-fi, simply because I don't enjoy them. So maybe I'm more of a hi-fi lover than a music lover :silenced:

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For me it is about the music first and quality of HI Fi second.

When I go away on holiday I always take my phone loaded with my favourite music although the quality is poor in compared to my HI FI I could not bear to be away from music for long even if it is on a portable mono radio.....

A

Anonymous

I love music, a quality hifi enhances my listening experience.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Plenty of music lovers have no interest in Hifi, so it's not just a love of music. Is it?

Nope it's not about the love of music. You can love music and not care about hifi and you can love hifi and not really be into music.

Someone who spends all day playing the guitar and composing music may have no desire to purchase a hifi system. Likewise another music lover might spend most of their free time attending concerts and live bands, yet only have an iPod.

A person who loves hifi equipment might only own a handful of albums that are really used to test out changes to his system. All "audiophile approved" recordings - but nothing he really loves to listen to.

There are many potential reasons someone could care for hifi: a general love of electronics, an appreciation of the craftmanship involved, status symbol, etc... Much like the way that being a watchlover doesn't mean you're necessarily more obssesed with knowing the time than the average man, being an audiophile doesn't mean you're more obssesed with music.

You can buy an Omega watch simply because of the exquisite craftmanship and beauty of the piece. Likewise, you can buy a Chord amplfier for the same reasons.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
If i hear music played on above-average equipment it makes me want to listen because I love music.

If I hear music played on below-average equipment, it makes me want to walk away because it hurts my ears.

And I know there's a flaw here because I actually don't know what the average is and in fact have not included average in the above 2 options. But you get my drift..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
you can love hifi and not really be into music.
They must have deep pockets to justify the cost of a great HiFi if they're not into music. No point having a brilliant-sounding HiFi if you're not really into any kind of music.
The only other reason I can think of is that you would need to believe it had status-symbol qualities, a bit like how Victoria Beckham was seen wielding a Leica M9 camera a couple of years ago. I genuinely doubt she has even the slightest idea how to work it. But it's a Leica, init.
For me, my love of music is first. A decent HiFi helps to immurse me into the music more vividly. Now I was of the opinion that most HiFi people were the same as me...is that an incorrect assumption?

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
You can love to drive even if you don't have the desire or means to buy a fancy car.

If you do, it's probably because having, say, a Bentley makes it more fun - it gives you more pleasure from the same activity, which you enoyed even without the Bentley.

It's hard to imagine someone who does not like driving spending a lot of money on a car.

Sometimes, after you have been driving a fine car long enough, it may make it hard to go back and find driving pleasure from something more basic.

We are such complete anoraks that it's easy to question ourselves...but in the end it's not so hard to understand. At least that's what I tell my wife.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
SpursGator said:
It's hard to imagine someone who does not like driving spending a lot of money on a car.

Though I understand your logic, I have to disagree. There are persons who collect classic cars that they rarely/never drive. You don't have to love driving to appreciate the design and craftsmanship of a car.

And for all our claims about love of music, I'm sure that there are many audiophiles who spend more time on forums discussing hifi and dreaming about the next upgrade, than they spend listening to music. While a good hifi system can enhance the listening experience, we need to realize that interest in hifi and love of music are separate hobbies.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ajani said:
you can love hifi and not really be into music.
They must have deep pockets to justify the cost of a great HiFi if they're not into music. No point having a brilliant-sounding HiFi if you're not really into any kind of music. The only other reason I can think of is that you would need to believe it had status-symbol qualities, a bit like how Victoria Beckham was seen wielding a Leica M9 camera a couple of years ago. I genuinely doubt she has even the slightest idea how to work it. But it's a Leica, init. For me, my love of music is first. A decent HiFi helps to immurse me into the music more vividly. Now I was of the opinion that most HiFi people were the same as me...is that an incorrect assumption?

I covered some of the reasons, including status symbol, in that post you quoted from.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You did, I wasn't disagreeing. Just pointing out that imo if you're not into music but you've spent a fortune on HiFi then you're either very rich or your priorities are a bit skewed.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Why? . . . I love music, originally Country and Gospel, this has widened dramatically over the years. I tried to learn piano then guitar . . . unfortunately I now know that my dyslexic problems made learning to playing an instrument virtually impossible. However, the same problems enhanced my visual and mechanical skills, I also inherited the family highly developed hand/eye coordination abilities.

I dont read well, I cant play an instrument, I can have problems communicating with people . . . all very frustrating!!! But I can design, build and fly racing aircraft, put ink on paper (make books) for others to read, listen to and appreciate good music, producing the best possible sound from the hifi kit available to me.

I make the best of a brain that never approaches a problem head on. Physical problem solving has always been a pleasure for me, if frustrating to others looking on, because of the unconventional sideways approach.

I'm not sure where this puts me in the hifi way of things . . . I do know 'I like' the music I like, get great comfort and pleasure from it. Is it because I like it or is it because I made the hifi sound like that?

My father on the other hand, was far from dyslexic, had superb communication skills, had the family hand eye co-ordination, for which he was in great demand. Loved his music, let me put a basic entry level system together for him and then refused to have it upgraded over the 10 years he lived with us. He was 'happy' to enjoy the simple pleasures.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
unfortunately I now know that my dyslexic problems made learning to playing an instrument virtually impossible.

Really, I wasn't aware of any correllation between the two?

Reading and memory, both are affected, created massive frustration when young, especially in the 50's and 60;s, when the problem was not recognised and those affected were considered 'thick D's', bottom of the bottom class . . . this affects some areas of my learning capacity massively. Sad, as my parents spent much time and money trying to push water uphill where I was concerned, I spent many hours kicking and screaming in those days

My flying was in the world of model radio controlled aircraft. I am self-taught, I was designing, building and flying aircraft by the time I was 11. Radio control came when I was 21, Kathy my late wife bought me a 4 channel RC outfit, a box of resistors, PC boards and wires that I had to put together myself! That led to me learning to design, build and fly high performance aerobatic gliders, onto powered aerobatics and then closed circuit 'Reno Style' racing planes capable of 175mph out of a 7cc motor! I have had 2 racing plane plans published in a national magazine, I believe still available? Had my own regular 2000 word column in said mag., for 3 years in the 90's.

Despite the designing, building, flying skills, no one picked up what was wrong until my then fiancé, Kathy, worked it out. She and my parents, with my cooperation, started a long process of reversing what the previous years has set in my mind. It appears, I still suffer with frustration/depression of those formative years today.

The point is, in hifi terms, I'm a thinker, I sit down and work through, in my way . . . can it '?' be done better or different to good effect? Which is why I come up with solutions to things that no one sees as a problem . . . thats the hifi mind of 'CJS'. How that relates to my love of simple music . . . I prefer the basic stuff, or what I see as basic, as I have no practical musical experience? Large orchestras, loud distorted rock bands . . . I struggle with, they often are nothing more than a cacophony to me. Simple solo voice, solo guitar, church pipe organ, chamber music, jazz etc., I seem to be able to relate to . . . ???

The_Lhc, does that tell you anything . . . in the outside world, totally mixed up??? frustrated . . . ??? and yet in my own world, I feel I have and do achieve . . . :?

CJSF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
unfortunately I now know that my dyslexic problems made learning to playing an instrument virtually impossible.

Really, I wasn't aware of any correllation between the two?

Reading and memory, both are affected, created massive frustration when young, especially in the 50's and 60;s, when the problem was not recognised and those affected were considered 'thick D's', bottom of the bottom class . . . this affects some areas of my learning capacity massively. Sad, as my parents spent much time and money trying to push water uphill where I was concerned, I spent many hours kicking and screaming in those days

Why does that stop you from just picking up a guitar and having a strum though?

The_LHC said:
Do you know Chris Gold?

My flying was in the world of model radio controlled aircraft. I am self-taught, I was designing, building and flying aircraft by the time I was 11. Radio control came when I was 21, Kathy my late wife bought me a 4 channel RC outfit, a box of resistors, PC boards and wires that I had to put together myself! That led to me learning to design, build and fly high performance aerobatic gliders, onto powered aerobatics and then closed circuit 'Reno Style' racing planes capable of 175mph out of a 7cc motor! I have had 2 racing plane plans published in a national magazine, I believe still available? Had my own regular 2000 word column in said mag., for 3 years in the 90's.

Despite the designing, building, flying skills, no one picked up what was wrong until my then fiancé, Kathy, worked it out. She and my parents, with my cooperation, started a long process of reversing what the previous years has set in my mind. It appears, I still suffer with frustration/depression of those formative years today.

The point is, in hifi terms, I'm a thinker, I sit down and work through, in my way . . . can it '?' be done better or different to good effect? Which is why I come up with solutions to things that no one sees as a problem . . . thats the hifi mind of 'CJS'. How that relates to my love of simple music . . . I prefer the basic stuff, or what I see as basic, as I have no practical musical experience? Large orchestras, loud distorted rock bands . . . I struggle with, they often are nothing more than a cacophony to me. Simple solo voice, solo guitar, church pipe organ, chamber music, jazz etc., I seem to be able to relate to . . . ???

The_Lhc, does that tell you anything . . . in the outside world, totally mixed up??? frustrated . . . ??? and yet in my own world, I feel I have and do achieve . . . :?

"No" would have done...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Why does that stop you from just picking up a guitar and having a strum though?

"No" would have done...

Cos thats 'strumming' not 'playing' . . . and as I could not, cant remember the cord fingering, when I say remember, we are talking 30 minutes and its gone! . . . you just dont understand the problems of the condition The_Lhc?

'No' . . . I thought you might have preferred a better understanding in general, as you could not see any correlation . . . obviously I was wrong, sorry to have bored you:?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to take the title literally when it says "the quality of sound reproduction". For me it's only partly about the music.

Most of the time I am more interested in the quality of the (spoken) human voice from radio, iTunes, iPlayer, DVDs, TV and Blu-ray.

The all Naim seperates system I had for two years was excellent (possibly too good) but locked up too much space, too much light, too much expense and it always had it's best/optimal performance lurking just beyond the - relatively moderate - volume levels I typically enjoy. It was 'needy' and a pig to clean and sprouted more cables than I could tolerate (and it was ugly but many will disagree with any mention of aesthetics concering hi-fi and besides, my wife thought it looked good!)

I spent some £2400 on it in total (Naim amp and CD player ex-dem from local Audio-T + Naim tuner and speakers mint & second-hand) and sold it all for a shade over £1900.

All told, I got away lightly losing only £250 per year for two years use. (The same system would now cost just over £4000 brand new.)

To replace it I bought a Marantz M-CR603 for just under £500 (with AirPlay) based entirely on it having the right functionality, connectivity, size and looks. (Shameful!) I ordered it without any audition at the dealers or at home. (Look away PP.)

I subsequently added a great TV, an iPhone 4 and (recently) a Humax PVR and a new Sony Blu-ray player. It's a lovely, small, easy to use, great sounding system that I wish I could have bought 10 years ago. It's flexible and great fun too.

Of course there is much out there that sounds better and I no longer care. If Marantz produced a 'luxury' KI Signature version of my M-CR603 (with polished teak sides) I could be tempted to upgrade :) But this is the most 'right' system I have bought since 1996 and will be staying right here for a long time.

I might be trying out some PMC DB1is, but if they don't work with the M-CR603 then they go back, not the Marantz!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I'm going to take the title literally when it says "the quality of sound reproduction". For me it's only partly about the music.

Most of the time I am more interested in the quality of the (spoken) human voice from radio, iTunes, iPlayer, DVDs, TV and Blu-ray.

The all Naim seperates system I had for two years was excellent (possibly too good) but locked up too much space, too much light, too much expense and it always had it's best/optimal performance lurking just beyond the - relatively moderate - volume levels I typically enjoy. It was 'needy' and a pig to clean and sprouted more cables than I could tolerate (and it was ugly but many will disagree with any mention of aesthetics concering hi-fi and besides, my wife thought it looked good!)

I spent some £2400 on it in total (Naim amp and CD player ex-dem from local Audio-T + Naim tuner and speakers mint & second-hand) and sold it all for a shade over £1900.

All told, I got away lightly losing only £250 per year for two years use. (The same system would now cost just over £4000 brand new.)

To replace it I bought a Marantz M-CR603 for just under £500 (with AirPlay) based entirely on it having the right functionality, connectivity, size and looks. (Shameful!) I ordered it without any audition at the dealers or at home. (Look away PP.)

I subsequently added a great TV, an iPhone 4 and (recently) a Humax PVR and a new Sony Blu-ray player. It's a lovely, small, easy to use, great sounding system that I wish I could have bought 10 years ago. It's flexible and great fun too.

Of course there is much out there that sounds better and I no longer care. If Marantz produced a 'luxury' KI Signature version of my M-CR603 (with polished teak sides) I could be tempted to upgrade :) But this is the most 'right' system I have bought since 1996 and will be staying right here for a long time.

I might be trying out some PMC DB1is, but if they don't work with the M-CR603 then they go back, not the Marantz!

That is a very interesting insite in to your thinking Chebby, makes complete sence, thank you. CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts