Why 8bit panel in Europe but 10bit Panel in USA on certain Bravias??????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Have seen another tele I like the look of, the Sony KDL-40V3000. Looks quite impressive and full 1080p screen, etc. I assume its a very similar performance to the D3500 but what i did find out bothered me a bit. Why does the UK model of this TV have an 8bit panel rather than a 10bit panel which the US model seems to have. Is it another case of European consumers being short changed as is usually the case??

Can anyone throw any light on this?

A

Anonymous

Ok, it just seems that the 10bit panels were on the higher spec UK models, so was just a little confused as to why the same model would have different technical specifications. I'm new to all of this lcd and plasma stuff!

What is the difference between 8 and 10 bit from a performance point of view?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm assuming picture processing speeds, but a) can't be sure, as we're still awaiting a full rundown on UK models from Sony and b) tech-spec sheets are a law unto themselves.

As said many times before, the performance of a set is about far more than the feeds and speeds - please don't concern yourself unnecessarily, but we will investigate the Sony specs further during the working week.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I thought 10 bit panels were technically superior, other things being equal ?

Don't 10 bit panels have a wider colour range and therefore less banding etc. ?

Or am I barking up entirely the wrong set of trees ?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bigblue235"]
I thought 10 bit panels were technically superior, other things being equal ?

Don't 10 bit panels have a wider colour range and therefore less banding etc. ?

Or am I barking up entirely the wrong set of trees ?

[/quote]

You are correct, a 10 bit panel has finer gradiations between colours and greys, basically the number of different birghtness levels that each sub pixel can display is greater (2^8 = 256 shades per sub pixel giving a total of 2^24 = 16,777,216 colours for an 8 bit panel, compared to 2^10 = 1024 shades per sub pixel giving 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 colours for a 10 bit panel). Therefore, theoretically the colour is more detailed and accurate in a 10 bit panel.

The thing is though that this would either require better picture processing to interpolate these extra colours, or that the TV be fed with a source which takes advantage of the extra colours. A PC could certainly feed the TV with the appropriate colour depth, but I am not sure about the specifications for colour output of Blu-Ray for example.

Also, there is the argument that your eyes may not actually be able to distinguish such subtle variations in colour, since the 16.8 million colours of an 8 bit panel is already a lot of colours, would you honestly notice over a billion different colours? I don't know, chances are someone will say they can, although I suspect that it will not be a conscious noticeable difference, but rather just a generally slightly nicer texture to the image, but I could be wrong on that as I havn't (to my knowledge at least) seen a 10 bit panel next to an 8 bit one to compare.

I have no idea why the US gets 10 bit panels first, but I would hazard a guess that it doesn't matter too much considering that other factors such as picture processing and panel quality matter more than absolute number of theoretically available colours.

A

Anonymous

As mentioned by Claire........not too much to get hung up on.

Thanks for the info on the panels tho.

Just got to decide between the 37" Pana PX80 plasma and the Sony KDL-40V3000.

Who would have thought picking a new tele would be so bloody hard!!

A

Anonymous

TurtleT go for the panny, plasma beats LCD 100% in my books and most others ^_^

better colours, and much better motion handling

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts