whos buying what?

avnut

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
in these days of the credit crunch and not knowing if you'll still have a job to go to just curious as to whether people are still buying av/hi fi or hanging on to their pennies. Myself im in the market for a 50inch screen but waiting for the new panasonics.So come on lets here it, whats on your shopping list for the near future?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Not buying anything at the mo but I did see a Pioneer BDPLX08 at The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh today - lush or what!!

I once paid £700 for a Laserdisc player but unfortunately the production of 2 kids (almost 18 years ago) has meant a steady drain of cash in the house...it never stops really!

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Messiah

Cofnchtr: the production of 2 kids has meant a steady drain of cash in the house.

Tell me about it!

I am currently scrimping for a Beresford....but which one
emotion-42.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, the charmed life of a Dinky.

In my auto signature, everying barring the iPod, the Sony DVD recorder and the sub, has been bought in the last 4 months.

It's the Paradox of Thrift that's killing the economy, not the credit crunch. And I'm hankering after an ASW610....! (but "planning permission" was denied last weekend... hmmm...)

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:In my auto signature, everying barring the iPod, the Sony DVD recorder and the sub, has been bought in the last 4 months.

Same here. Although you can make that "the last 2 months".

Only window shopping for now, plus there's the Bristol show next week. Still hoping to go on the Friday. *fingers crossed*

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Cofnchtr:
I once paid £700 for a Laserdisc player

Tell me about it! I daren't think what I spend on laserdiscs over the years (all sold on eBay for a fraction of what I paid).

I am thinking of buying a new AV amplifier in the near future, as the Yamaha I have doesn't have HD decoding (and not enough inputs to accept a signal decoded by a Blu-ray player), although it still sounds pretty good.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
well I shouldn't be buying anything as was made redundant. But since finding more time on my hands have bought a 40w4500 and an Onkyo 876. Looking on the bright side now have more time to enjoy them. Currently looking for a 30" display for the bedroom, then I won't even have to bother getting up.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
No it hasn't stopped me either - bought a Sony BDP-S350 in September and a CA 740c and 102gb Ipod in Jan (some with Xmas cash, some to be recouped by sale of 2 other CD players). Not planning anything else this year now.

A

Anonymous

I am looking to venture into the home cinema market any time now but i am totally lost with a ll the choices and specs. In my mind i am looking at kit with a value of upto 3k but will hope to spend £2500 or slightly less. Could anyone give me some feedback on what i am looking at

Speakers

B&W 685 theatre or 684

Monitor audio Silver rs1 av (not sure about looks of rears though)

Amp

Yamaha RXV3900

Yamaha RXV 1900

Denon 2308

Denon 3808a

I looked at the onkyo but dont like the look and have heard you can fry an egg on them.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I'm waiting for my next student bursary payment to come through to blow it all on a new Amp (hopefully Cyrus 8VS2 or Primare I21) with a pair of B&W 685's.

Not to forget new speaker cable, stands, interconnects... The works hah

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
After splashing out on my kit in December the next year will be spent enriching my senses. Possibly several BR discs and thats about my lot for 2009

A

Anonymous

I've upgraded my tv, Blu-ray player, amp, surround sound speakers and cables. Wasn't planning on it but picked up a copy of WHF magazine for the first time in months and that was it! No regrets though and I like to think I'm doing my bit to keep firms afloat and thus people employed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
There's never been a better time to buy stuff.

No point in having the money in the bank, or in shares, or in property. So if you have a few quid lying around then buy some hifi

ÿ

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Quad L-ites 5.1 august, panasonic TV september, Onkyo 606 amp november, panasonic BD35 december, Blok 300 av rack january, Humax foxsat HDR today. I have no more plans on spending any more on a/v kit for the next ten years.

Messiah

chebby:Messiah:I am currently scrimping for a Beresford....but which one
emotion-42.gif

Well both TC-7510 and the new TC-7520 are not in stock for a week or two, so you have time to scrimp a bit longer :) I can heartily recommend the new TC-7520. (I managed to snag one of the last of the first batch of TC-7520's a few days ago just a day before they went up on the Beresford website.)

I'll probably save for the 7520. I've read your posts about it and it sounds ideal......

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Funny you should ask old chap as I have a new pair of headphones arriving on Monday and I can`t wait! Which ones? Ah ha. Wait `til Monday. Might start a thread on it.

Next up will be a Headphone Amp. I`m leaning towards the Creek OBH 21se and my guess is that this will swiftly follow the headphones through my front door as I`ll be dying to know how good the new phones will sound through the Creek.

After that it`s the speaker cables. Currently have Silver Anniversary XT and I`m thinking of switching to either Chord Rumour or maybe even the Odyssey.

And then, finally, this year WILL be the year I get a flatscreen tv. Not sure when exactly but it WILL be this year. I`m looking forward to playing my dvd collection on a fancy new 37" instead of the old 28".

Incidentally I`ve already bought/ordered 25 albums this year!

A

Anonymous

I've been buying lots of records and films...

Picking up a new Jolida Linestage in the next few. And will be getting a Beresford or Dacmagic shortly after, depending on how long I foresee my homemade dac project taking. (Probably a long long time).

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, I've looked at my finances for 2008 and figured I could blow £1250 on toys this year.

So far I'm focusing on accessories and getting what I have singing.

Bought so far
Speaker cable - NVA LS2 10m run biwiring.
Interconnect - 2 of QED Silver 4S !m
Subwoofer cable - 2 of 10m Chord Crimson
Mains block - Brennestuhl Alu Line 8 way
Mains conditioner - Tacima SC5723
Wood and a few tools for new hifi rack

Computer silencing
Fanless PSU - Silverstone Nightingale
Passive Processor Cooler - Scythe Ninja Mini
Passive Graphics Cooler - Arctic S1R2

I'll still be buying
10 or so half metre power leads and a few longer ones.
10m SVHS to Scart
2m interconnect
Atacama atabites
Even more blu tac

Then a toss up between re cap on my amps, new DAC, second SMS1 sub EQ, solid state hard drive.

If I get much work this year I might get round to all the above. If it goes very well new subs too.

A

Anonymous

Just bought:

Panasonic BD55
2x Van Den Hul HDMI Flat.
1x True Colours Coral Optical.
3x Atlas Equator Analogue.
Modus Black Oval AV Stand.

Going to buy:

Samsung LE40A786R2 Screen.
Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 Speakers.
QED Speaker cable, not decided yet, but probably QED.
Sky HD
Some Blu-rays - Again not decided, too many that i want.

Got to keep - at least for this year:

Yamaha DSP-AX757SE AV Amp.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Just bought new speakers - Focal Chorus 800 series and re-wiring speakers with VDC 2.5mm hifi cable (cheap)

Would like to buy: HDMI amp and maybe a next-gen stand-alone BD player but the PS3 is doing just nicely for now.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

d4v3pum4:
Just bought new speakers - Focal Chorus 800 series

You bought the full set? Jealous.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts