Who stole my bass!?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently upgraded a couple of parts of my system, the amp to a NAD 320bee and speaker cables to Silver aniv bi wire. Now the clarity is superb now, alot more to hear thats for sure. I like my music to be fairly bright but i do like a bit of bass to back it up, the NAD took away some bass and with the addition of the silver Anv its just gone! Worryingly ive come across a few people that have accused the NAD of doing the same to their systems and im wondering wether its just not going to work for me :( Im thinking either get a new cd deck in the future, swap the speaker cable back to copper cable like QED original (have found this gives great bass in other systems) or dump the amp... Opinions??

A

Anonymous

Silver cables have bitten me. I think they'd only be useful if one had a system that was far too bassy and needed to curb it.

I've heard the RA-05 offers up a better low end in this pricerange but never heard that amp myself so it's just hearsay.

A

Anonymous

I've never felt i was lacking bass in my system (c542, c320bee and silver anniversary single wire with both B&W 601s2's and Pro-ac TabRef8Sigs). when i stuck the kit on a pixel rack from richer sounds though i did get a tonne more bass. i've you dont already have a decent rack, then i'd suggest the same. This is the one i have.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I've never experienced this problem with a Nad amp before - I regard it as a good all rounder. But if it's bass you are after then I suggest you audition some Rotels.

A

Anonymous

I had a pm4000 in there before, just had it back in and it has more bass but id rather have the NAD's clarity the marantz just sounded muddy.

I think ill give the qed original a try when it arrives, its bi wire just like the silver aniversary. The M74's are a fairly in your face speaker so i dont think they are helping but id rather not get rid of them.

Maybe ill warm into the system it sounded incredible just not quiet as musical as id like....

Oh and would rotel cd decks give me a bit of extra bass or just the amps?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You've changed cables and amplifier at the same time (if I understand you correctly). Not a good idea. You really need to get used to a system first before you start playing with cables and such like. These things are there to finish a matched set-up off, no more.

You are confused and need to get back to square one before you spend (waste?) more money. The way I would approach this is by going to a local dealership and book some dem time. Mix and match within your budget til you find a combination that appeals. You might find you come out with nothing thinking that your old system was best (as happened to me before) or emerge with a completely different set up including speakers. It does'nt matter whether you can afford to buy everything at once but at least you will have a clear idea of where you want to go. Dont worry about cables at this stage.

A

Anonymous

Changed cables because i had to, my old ones were too short for the current layout >
As said am going to revert back and im pretty sure that will cure my issue.
Overall im happy the NAD is a huge step up from the Marrantz and i only really noticed the sharpness when i added the new cables.

That said i managed to get 8 meters of the silver anv biwire for £30 due to a terrible ebay listing so i wont loose money if i decide to swap around.

Totally agree on a demo before I make my next move. which maybe a while as im moving house :(

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fast eddie"]I've never felt i was lacking bass in my system (c542, c320bee and silver anniversary single wire with both B&W 601s2's and Pro-ac TabRef8Sigs).

when i stuck the kit on a pixel rack from richer sounds though i did get a tonne more bass. i've you dont already have a decent rack, then i'd suggest the same. This is the one i have.[/quote]

I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely interested..... how does a good rack give you a load more bass?

TRENDING THREADS