who can help with BT speakers (and classical music)

wrossini

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Dear all,

during a recent move i found myself in the situation of not being able to connect my marantz M CR-603 to the internet (it was via cable before, but the modem is far now, and there is no wifi on the marantz). since it has been ages since i wanted to get rid of my focal lab speakers, i wanted to find new speakers for classical music, which i could connect to the marantz for my CDs, to the computer for my mp3s and to the phone for online music (The bluetooth from the title). To find all these functions in a speaker plus speakers that were good soundwise was one task, to find speakers that are good for classical music is almost impossible, as almost all tests are done with post-1950s music.
I filtered my choices down to the below speakers and since i am used to old-style, square speakers, those in the list are completely new to me. So my questions are technique-related (can i really connect everything i need?) and sound-related eg. can i hear the music in such a way as to discern the pianissimo timpani strike or the fingers of a harpist gliding on the strings amid a full orchestra :grin: (and does it even matter which kind of music)?

Sonos Era 100
Sonos Era 300
Bang & Olufsen Beosound A1 (2nd Gen)
Audio Pro Addon C10
Audio Pro Addon C3
Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation
Dali Katch G2

thank you so much for your help
Roberto

Dear all,

during a recent move i found myself in the situation of not being able to connect my marantz M CR-603 to the internet (it was via cable before, but the modem is far now, and there is no wifi on the marantz). since it has been ages since i wanted to get rid of my focal lab speakers, i wanted to find new speakers for classical music, which i could connect to the marantz for my CDs, to the computer for my mp3s and to the phone for online music (The bluetooth from the title). To find all these functions in a speaker plus speakers that were good soundwise was one task, to find speakers that are good for classical music is almost impossible, as almost all tests are done with post-1950s music.
I filtered my choices down to the below speakers and since i am used to old-style, square speakers, those in the list are completely new to me. So my questions are technique-related (can i really connect everything i need?) and sound-related eg. can i hear the music in such a way as to discern the pianissimo timpani strike or the fingers of a harpist gliding on the strings amid a full orchestra :grin: (and does it even matter which kind of music)?

Sonos Era 100
Sonos Era 300
Bang & Olufsen Beosound A1 (2nd Gen)
Audio Pro Addon C10
Audio Pro Addon C3
Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation
Dali Katch G2

thank you so much for your help
Roberto
Welcome to the forum!

Many traditional speakers are great with classical music. They’d connect to your Marantz as it seems you used to do.

Your new list all seem to be ’wireless’ designs of one type or another. As you suggest, they look very different, and will probably have quite significant differences in sound. Some are at least double the price of others too.

Frankly, I think your hybrid needs in connecting to an oldish mini system, a computer and a phone are complicating things. Ideally a streaming amp and nice speakers would deliver a sound you seek. However, can you at least visit some stores to hear some of those on your list?

I you live in Britain, then Richer Sounds is a good place to begin.

Last edited:

wrossini

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Many traditional speakers are great with classical music. They’d connect to your Marantz as it seems you used to do.

Your new list all seem to be ’wireless’ designs of one type or another. As you suggest, they look very different, and will probably have quite significant differences in sound. Some are at least double the price of others too.

Frankly, I think your hydrid needs in connecting to an oldish mini system, a computer and a phone are complicating things. Ideally a streaming amp and nice speakers would deliver a sound you seek. However, can you at least visit some stores to hear some of those on your list?

I you live in Britain, then Richer Sounds is a good place to begin.

Yes yes of course i will listen to them 😊. I was just looking for a first impression.
Looking further i realised also a pair of bookshelf speakers can have Bluetooth, which would help with internet radio connection. Ì gathered that a pair of (active? Even if I connect them to the marantz they hotels to be active for the Internetradio-over-Bluetooth-function?) stereo speakers seem to be preferred to a single speaker such as the ones I mentioned above in terms of sound quality. So I kept reading further and came across the followings:

Audioengine HD6
Triangle Borea BR02 BT/BR03 BT

Ruark Audio MR1 Mk2​

Kef LSX
Q Acoustics M20
Edifier S1000W

Any feedback on those?
Thank you ever so much
Roberto

I’d take the KEF LSX in a blink. Would need to check that you can connect a CD source, and bear in mind you mostly will use streaming and a tablet or phone as a remote. But terrific engineering and sound quality in a tiny package.

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
I'd take a long cat6 cable and professional installation back to your switch/router. Can be made very neat and it's an incredibly useful thing to have. Add a switch and you can add a wireless access point for wifi too

wrossini

May 22, 2023
Visit site
I'd take a long cat6 cable and professional installation back to your switch/router. Can be made very neat and it's an incredibly useful thing to have. Add a switch and you can add a wireless access point for wifi too
I thought about that as well but I Really want to get rid of my focal lab 😅

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts