Who can hear the difference anyway?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been into Hi Fi for over 20 years and still can't articulate the true meaning of Hi Fi.

In the past I have listened, and if I can "hear" a difference I would pay more, if I couldn't then I didn't!

However there is always that devil on your shoulder saying " the more you spend the better the sound", thing is what's better?

In reviews they use words like, insight and talent, natural warmth and solidity, soft bass notes etc. Now I am not a musician, but do you need to be to appreciate good hi fi?

When I listen to different systems I can sometimes only "just" hear a slight difference and can't always explain what it is.

I describe it as cleaner, less transparant and crisper etc, but who's to say its better?

What I am really getting round to saying is, are there only a few who can really appreciate the art of Hi Fi, I guess its like art you need to know what you are looking for, in this case listening for.

Sorry if any spelling mistakes.

Ian

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldnt say my hearings particularly special. But I can easily tell differences in quality

(Even when we tested cd players ranging from 3.5k to 10k)

idc

IDB:

I have been into Hi Fi for over 20 years and still can't articulate the true meaning of Hi Fi.

I take it to be the accurate reproduction of sound. So if I hear a system that makes it sound like I am in the studio with the musicians and I can heard the guitar being strummed and the cymbol struck very clearly, then I say it is hifi.

IDB:

In reviews they use words like, insight and talent, natural warmth and solidity, soft bass notes etc. Now I am not a musician, but do you need to be to appreciate good hi fi?

The more systems you hear the easier it is to understand the descriptions of sound. It possibly helps to be a musician, but what you do need is an appreciation of musicianship and songwriting skills.

IDB:

When I listen to different systems I can sometimes only "just" hear a slight difference and can't always explain what it is.

I describe it as cleaner, less transparant and crisper etc, but who's to say its better?

I am with you on that one. Phrases such as night and day are bandied about too easily. I dont pursue hifi to the nth degree, but many do. I also fear that different is described as better when it is just different.

IDB:

What I am really getting round to saying is, are there only a few who can really appreciate the art of Hi Fi, I guess its like art you need to know what you are looking for, in this case listening for.

The artist, art critic, lover and appreciator are all valid roles and are interdependent. It is the same in music.

IDB:

Ian

So we have idc, I.D.C and now IDB to add to the confusion!

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
To paraphrase another forum members signature "if it sounds good to you, listen to it". We all usually agree on the broad strokes of "good" sound but as with many things the finer points can be a matter of personal taste.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
IDB:

Errr. It's your money. You say what's better. Use the thoughts of others as guidance.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Also just because you can't adequetely articulate an audible audio anomaly (eh, eh? Go on son, I'll be a journalist yet!) doesn't mean you can't hear it, it just means you can't give the sort of flowery cobblers that our esteemed cabal of editors can, but then that's why they're journalists and we aren't...

A

Anonymous

To me - it's an emotional content within the music that makes me want to listen to more of it ... that's what makes it good.

Often you may find that experience of an emotion can be worsened by 'trying' to give it words - because the words we use are not enough to describe the emotion. The emotion is so much more than any words that can be used.

So ... if a reviewer or musician, through experience, has more words to use - that does not mean they are superior or able to tell you anymore about what you enjoy - or should like..... and it can help give you guidance.

Different = better .... IF it makes you want to listen for longer and gives you more enjoyment - which may very well be an intangible that you cannot easily describe now.

As has already been said - it's your money, so you decide.

TRENDING THREADS