Which wifi router (BT broadband)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
gsyx123 said:
So in theory, this would work with any router that doesn't have a modem? No messing about with settings? I want to do the same thing with an Asus RT-N66u but i'm not knowledeable to start messing with setting at least until i get it set up!

Yes. You can use your HH3 as a modem (although it would mean an extra box) by switching the wireless off.

- Connect any port on the HH to the WAN port of the ASUS.

- Set the ip address of the HH to be static - eg 192.168.0.1

- subnet mask stays 255.255.255.0

- turn off DHCP on the HH.

- Set the ip address of the ASUS to be static - eg 192.168.1.1

- Set the default gateway of the ASUS to be 192.168.0.1 ( the HH)

- Subnet mask stays 255.255.255.0

- Setup wireless AP on the Asus

- Turn off wireless on the HH.

- Reboot Asus, reboot HH.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As you are keeping the HH as your modem PPPOA/E is irrelevant.

Not quite as simple as just turning off the wifi and connecting them as they dont support wireless bridging.

You have to tell the ASUS to use the HH as the modem (done by settin the HH as the default gateway for the Asus as I described), and then turn off DHCP on the HH.

Follow the steps I've given and it should be straightforward.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Can anyone help me,will the Dir-645 improve the performance of Virgin broadband router(30mb)

Thanks Paul.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The DIR-645 will have better wireless performance and range than the virgin. Whether its worth the extra money is hard to say - depends what sort of throughput you get at the moment,

A 645 should be able to maintain a wireless throughput around 80Mb/s at 2m and around 45Mb/s at a range of 10m through a wall according to reviews, which is very good.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
roger06 said:
6th.replicant said:
...it's also very powerful.

images

Really ? ...

Well, put it this way: at home, the wireless router lives downstairs at one end of the house and my bedroom is one-floor up at the opposite end, and in-between are two 3ft-thick brick walls.

Consequently, when in the bedroom, a laptop or phone's wi-fi icon struggled to muster one-bar from an HH2 or coventional-type router - in effect, no wi-fi in the bedroom.

However, an HH3 delivers full beans
smiley-sport017.gif

TRENDING THREADS